All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 17:27 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I've just finished Star Wars The Old Republic: Annihilation and just started Star Wars The Old Republic: Threat of Peace (graphic novel). The former was very good; what I've read of the latter so far hasn't impressed me.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 22:27 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I've heard a lot of the Star Wars novels are hit or miss. Are there any particular ones you like? (I have to admit I don't know much about them. I only have the ones based off the original movies or something, and haven't read them as they're at my grandmother's.)

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 05:22 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I haven't read many Star Wars novels. I read the ones based on the movies many years ago and enjoyed them, though I did have something of a crush on Darth Vader at the time (which was why I read them) so that may have coloured my opinion of them.:P I thought I'd only read one other set in that time period but have just discovered I have four, so clearly they didn't make that much of an impression on me, though it also means none of them can have been particularly bad either. I've very much enjoyed the three (non-graphic) Old Republic books that I've recently read. I felt the stories were well-constructed and, of particular interest to me, they flesh out characters from the game: Deceived has two OCs and Darth Malgus as the central characters; Revan, apart from, naturally, being about Revan, is basically the back story of Lord Scourge and for that reason I found it particularly fascinating; and Annihilation revolves around Theron Shan, with Satele Shan and Jace Malcom featuring heavily.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2014, 19:19 
Veteran

Finished The Death Cure last night. I can't buy the final book in the series, The Kill Order, until Friday... But my friend loaned me his copies of Batman Hush Volumes 1 and 2 to hold me over until then. So I'll be starting volume 1 tonight.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 01:13 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Crystal Shards wrote:
I've heard a lot of the Star Wars novels are hit or miss. Are there any particular ones you like? (I have to admit I don't know much about them. I only have the ones based off the original movies or something, and haven't read them as they're at my grandmother's.)
Republic Commandos series by Karen Traviss. I sort of wonder why I bothered reading any other Star Wars literature.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 13:47 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Finally on A Dance with Dragons. Halfway through it.

Also, found this while reading it and chuckled.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 14:28 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
That appears to be a rather amusing collection of words.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 09:46 
Veteran

Since I've last posted here I've finished The Kill Order, the first 2 volumes of Chew, and I'm currently working on A Lion's Tale, Chris Jericho's first book from 2007.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 14:53 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I have been going through a lot of Trek novels lately, as I find them very therapeutic in times of stress. After ages spent as a desperate Doctor Who fan scouring bookstores for relics of a far-off promised land, I still find myself amazed from time to time at how easy Trek novels are to get a hold of.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 15:35 
Veteran

I'm doing essentially the same thing with Jane Austen.

There seems to be a pattern of my favourite authors being dead women.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 19:23 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
I actually don't remember the last time I updated my reading list here, but for personal reading I'm still in Pale Fire. Got a few more lined up for after that, but I don't have a ton of spare time and I tend to use it for other things.

For school I'm just about to start Aristophanes' Clouds in ancient greek, and reading books 1-5 of Livy's History of Rome.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 02:46 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Currently reading Japan Through the Looking Glass by some sociology or anthropology professor from Cambridge. It was given to me by the parent of a playgroup child, who knows I'm studying Japanese. It's a really interesting look at Japanese culture. Some of the aspects I'm already quite familiar with, but it also analyses why those things are as they are, and some things I was totally unaware of.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 11:57 
Root Administrator

I just finished "What If" by Randall Munroe (the guy who makes the xkcd comics) the other day and it was pretty great. I recommend it to anyone who likes science jokes and/or xkcd.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2014, 21:27 
Root Administrator

I found out I can get ebooks from my library, which makes me happy. I just have them delivered to Amazon and can put them on my tablet.

I read 50 Shades of Grey and it's as awful as you've heard. I also read Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood. It's a collection of short stories. I really liked it.

Hoping to finish up ASOIAF book 5 by the end of the year.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2015, 05:47 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Remarking to David in the Christmas present thread that I haven't started reading the book I was given reminded me about this thread and the book I am currently reading so I'm resurrecting it.

Earlier in the year I caught parts of a few episodes of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell on TV. I wasn't able to watch the whole thing but it caught my eye because it starred Bertie Carvel, the voice actor of the Imperial Agent in TOR, and what I saw of the story looked very interesting. Mac subsequently bought the novel and I'm now reading it.

It's a long book and I felt the story took a while to really get going but once it did it got really interesting. Like Temeraire, it's set at the time of the Napoleonic wars in an alternate reality where magic and fairies exist, though no real magic has been performed for hundreds of years. Mr. Norell sets out to bring magic back to England and Jonathan Strange becomes his apprentice. They begin to use it to good effect in the war against the French, but a certain fairy begins to cause some serious problems for a number of the characters.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2015, 13:57 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Dune. Heard about it so often that I figured I might as well give it a try.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 11:18 
Root Administrator

I've been reading Gumption by Nick Offerman. It's pretty good but I can only read a chapter at a time. (Each chapter is about a different (American) person from history he feels has gumpton and why.)

I'm also reading Salt Sugar Fat, a book about the food industry and how it's basically manipulated our tastes. Food policy and industry has become an interest of mine as of late.

Also I saw part of the Dune movie the other day and boy is a lot of the acting bad in it. I would say it's due for a remake but I honestly don't know who I'd trust with it, given its (the book at least, I have no idea about the movie) status in the sci-fi community.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 05:29 
Veteran

Trying as hard as I can to get through Hemlock Grove but I am bored with it. I think maybe I should have read the book before watching the show.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 14:00 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Crystal Shards wrote:
Also I saw part of the Dune movie the other day and boy is a lot of the acting bad in it. I would say it's due for a remake but I honestly don't know who I'd trust with it, given its (the book at least, I have no idea about the movie) status in the sci-fi community.
I saw a trailer for it on TV a few times (that's half of what got me thinking about it) but I don't remember much of it. Certainly not enough to match up scenes with the book, anyway.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 07:04 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I read the novels long before the movie came out so by then I'd forgotten a lot of the details. Even so, the movie only struck me as mediocre. I thought the TV series was a lot better.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 15:00 
Root Administrator

Oh, I didn't know there was a TV series. Interesting. I'll have to look into that!

I started reading Assholes: A Theory. It's a book about assholes, as you might have expected, but it looks at the phenomenon from a philosophical perspective, in other words, what constitutes an asshole, etc. It's actually really interesting on top of being hilarious.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 08:17 

I found a copy of Sunny Side Down: A Collection of Tales of Mere Existence while I was dogsitting for my folks this past weekend.

For those not in the know, "Tales of Mere Existence" is a webcomic on YouTube by a guy named Lev. They're typically cynical, sarcastic, or otherwise self-depreciative in nature - and most of his subjects hit me pretty close to home. Or they used to, anyway.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2016, 21:56 
Veteran

Recently been reading the Arabian Nights, which are quite entertaining.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12