All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Yo, I guess!
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 22:06 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
Hey, all. New user here, drawn in by the Fire Emblem RP starting up (thank you, Reddit thread. I'm Raptor_Captor over there, for the curious), and advised to introduce myself. Alas, I cannot offer more at the moment, as I must be off to translate some Latin and Ancient Greek for class. But I'll be happy to talk to anybody a bit more tomorrow afternoon (GMT -4 here. Apparently I don't know my timezones because I thought I was GMT -5.)

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

Post subject: Re: Yo, I guess!
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 22:09 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
Welcome to Mercury my friend! I look forward to getting to know you. :3

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 22:11 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Welcome! I'm one of the admins, Crystal Shards, but you can call me Crystal. :crystal:

I hope you like the Fire Emblem RP, but don't be afraid to post in the other areas of the forums as well. As per forum custom, I now own your soul, and beware of Cataphrak, as everything bad that ever happens is his fault.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 22:49 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Oh, yes, sorry, I forgot to warn you she does that Soul thing, though most of us admittedly never had them to begin with...

But welcome, welcome; I'm the same one from before who bombards you with very large Quantities of Text which may contain obscure Words, and whose every Noun begins in Uppercase.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 22:58 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
Oh, yes, sorry, I forgot to warn you she does that Soul thing, though most of us admittedly never had them to begin with...

The fact you say that shows that I have done my duty well. You're doing so well without them you can't imagine yourself ever having had one...

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 23:09 
Veteran

Now I'm sure I'd been called soulless, if not evil, many Times before I met you; granted, I don't imagine myself being all that bad, but I did find my Shoes fit rather strangely after I first met you...

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 01:20 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Howdy.
I'm -5 myself...-4, does that make you Eastern Canadian or somewhere currently or formerly owned by Denmark?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 02:27 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I was also wondering about that time zone. You aren't a fish, are you? :P Anyway, greetings from the other side of the Atlantic. I'm the forum dinosaur and everyone's online mom. XD

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 09:00 

Best Newcomer (1)
Yo again, and nope, not Canadian. Eastern US, though (and pretty North close to Canada, so hey, that's cool I guess).

Anyway, a bit of stuff about me since I woke up an hour before I needed to to get to class, I'm a college student over here, majoring in Latin and minoring in Ancient Greek and Classical Civilization (though I've started taking linguistics this semester, so depending on how things I go I may pursue that in grad school. Then again, maybe not). Aside from that, not a whole lot. I don't play videogames much anymore, but I make exceptions for Fire Emblem and League of Legends (if I can get my premade together). And I play guitar, bass (though I don't own one right now), a bit of piano and ukulele, and in theory I could play mandolin and tenor guitar (a mandolin might be my next purchase). Huge into music (everything but funk, I like to say), mostly rock and roll, progressive rock and folk (and recently a lot of psychedelia). As far as influences on my own playing, mostly Neil Young's electric stuff. So if you have or are looking for music recommendations, always a fun topic! I should be back after Greek to scope things out some more, do the usual forum profile stuff, and all that.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 09:09 
Veteran

Another League of legends player! Welcome! What champs do you play?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 09:14 
Veteran

Classics and Linguistics are both very interesting Fields — I almost chose the latter, but Literature has turned out to be my Pursuit. I've more often seen Music in more mathematically-inclined People, so I find rather interesting that you have it together with Language. Do you ever compose your own Music, or Lyrics?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 09:18 
Root Administrator

Right on. I think you'll fit in great here. Lots of music lovers, a couple musicians, couple linguists, plenty of college students. Myself, I play a little guitar and a little piano, but I'm not particularly great at either since I don't get to practice often.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 10:21 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Another linguistics comrade! See, now that's exciting.

Hrm. I was unaware the US had anywhere in a GMT-4 area.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 10:34 
Veteran

If I had to guess I would say the North eastern most part of Maine...

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 10:48 

Best Newcomer (1)
Well I was pretty sure I was -5, not -4, but maybe it's a daylight savings thing. For Kennori: Most of the champs I own are for AP mid (with ADC as a close second), but I only play with my premade these days which has a pretty dedicated mid. So I've mostly been supporting these days, either as Thresh when I can get him, or Nidalee (yes, I know what they say about Nidalee support, but I have two builds for her and I've been making an effort to be more support-y and less kill-steal-y). I should be practicing more supports and tops, but since I don't solo-queue and my team has been trying its hand at ranked (sigh...Bronze for now) I don't get many chances to try new things. For Albert: I used to try my hand at writing lyrics, but (perhaps ironically) I stopped shortly after learning how to play. Mostly I play covers or improvise (I like to think I'm at my best when I'm improvising rather than memorizing, but it's not always that great. Everyone has good days and bad days) but I do take note of riffs or ideas that I come across when I'm improvising (write out tabs and record audio and/or video). I haven't finished out any arrangements though (I've come close on a few, though).

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 11:33 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Yay, linguistics! XD (Though my own studies in linguistics were over 30 years ago so I'm a bit out of date now.) I highly approve of your list of interests. Almost all of them correspond to something either I'm into (or used to be into, e.g. Latin) or someone close to me is into.

(And I also wasn't aware there were any GMT-4 regions in the US, but then I'm a foreigner so I don't have to know these things. :P But normally I'd only expect the eastern US to be -4 around the clock-changing period, since not every country moves their clocks forward or back on the same date.)

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 11:44 
Veteran

What Time is it for you right now?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 11:51 

Best Newcomer (1)
11:50. Timezone settings on the forum list me (EST) as -5, but the internet told me -4, and my watch says -4, so I'm not sure what to think.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 12:08 
Veteran

UTC -4 is also EDT, and it's Daylight Saving Time (dreadful Idea it is) now; your normal Timezone is likely UTC -5, to which you will return come Autumn.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 02:41 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Yes, you're definitely -5. That time was 5 hours behind what my computer's showing for that post. We're both on daylight saving at present, which means you'll still be -5 when the clocks go back. I'm glad we're able to confirm you're neither floating in the Atlantic somewhere nor lost in the frozen wastes of Greenland.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 07:59 

Best Newcomer (1)
I don't know, floating on the Atlantic could be fun. And I could do the viking thing in Greenland, right? Maybe I should just go -4.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 08:08 
Administrator

The curse of DST strikes again!