All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hey guys
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 23:40 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I'm back.

Facebook Note wrote:
I know some of you were keeping up with my status updates and kinda know what was going on, but in case you weren't and are wondering, or just forgot, I'll sum it up here. If I've linked you to this note via PM or IM or something like that, it's not because I want to brush you off or anything, it's just that honestly, repeating one story an seemingly infinite number of times really tends to drain one, and I also have to worry about my first week of post-sec. If you don't really care what was going on with me, I guess you could have just stopped reading by now.

Anyway.

So around the fourteenth of December, right as I was launching my operation for tearing apart and rebuilding my Windows OS to my own specifications, my motherboard went belly-up. And I know what many of you are thinking, and no, my OS shenanigans were not the cause my motherboard failure. Unrelated issue that I had known about for a long while--well, everyone who had bought one of those motherboards had known about it for a while--there was simply nothing that could be done to fix it, as it was very physical hardware problem. Money was and is tight, so for a much longer time than I initially anticipated, I ran with it until I couldn't any more. So I had to spend on the money on a new motherboard. It arrived promptly, and I installed it. It ran fine, and everything was going fine, except Windows started having hissy-fits about having to work with the new motherboard in odd ways and for no discernible reason. The prime example was that it refused to enable analogue audio ports, which, for me, basically renders the computer useless.

After tearing my hair out trying to work around the problems Wintard kept throwing at me and making no progress, I threw in the towel, backed up all my data, and wiped the system drive, installing the Linux Distro Kubuntu Maverick Meercat instead. In addition to the disastrous performance I was getting from Windows after the motherboard exchange, I had been becoming increasingly angry at Windows for sundry reasons leading up to the switch. Things ran pretty smoothly--except now, Kubuntu refused to work properly with my wireless adapter. Anyone who knows anything about Linux knows this is the equivalent of a brick wall covering a half metre thick block of steel for making your OS properly functional. In addition, I was still cut-off from, well, 90% of all the people and things I cared about.

After attempting several solutions and workarounds--only a few, really, since I'm not versed in Linux, at all really--no wireless adapter I had available to me were working. So I had to go for a wireless access point that would allow me to use an ethernet cable. I weighed my options best I could though I was trying to work quickly, and settled on a Linksys WET610N ethernet bridge. I searched high and low Georgetown and Lexington, but I could only find it at Staples. It wasn't cheap. The father however, noted that Staples.com offered the same product at a lower price. As I referenced earlier, money isn't really a commodity I regularly deal with these days, so obviously the less expensive option was something I needed to go with, and so we ordered it.

The delivery was delayed from three day shipping to over a week.
I also lost power several times while I was waiting.
It arrived today, and I've managed to get it working just fine so far. So, here I am.

As to what I've been up to while I was offline...I suppose most would consider it cozy. And I guess it was, but I consider it more lonely than anything. Luckily I had Open Office and Amarok, else I'd be much worse off now than I already am. I spent most of the time very slowly working through my music collection again, re-organising and re-rating it all as I listen through it, while I wrote for two Riftweaver stories I had started--finished one this morning before my access point arrived. I also played a good bit of Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations. I'm on the last episode of that game; been playing through it much more casually than AA: Apollo Justice. I also watched a great deal of Star Trek Voyager and Whose Line is it Anyway, because they were available to me offline.

And that's about it. If I come off as unusually blunt or rude to anyone, try to remember I'm an introvert with problems, and will need a little time to readjust. Apologies in advance if anyone gets that vibe from me. Trying my best, promise.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 00:32 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Zeth wrote:
I also watched a great deal of Star Trek Voyager....

My condolences, Voyager is terrible.

It's good to see you back though, and I hope your current internet solution holds up for a long time.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 03:48 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Great to see you back. I definitely approve of the Miles Edgeworth time-passing activity! :D

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 13:25 

Medals: 4
Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
*snuggles with Zeth*
Great to have you back :3

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 15:39 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Darn, you're back. And here I was planning a coup if you missed the month mark.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 15:50 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
ClanSoul wrote:
*snuggles with Zeth*
I thought it was Edgeworth you liked snuggling with. Do I have to tell him you're being unfaithful?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 18:40 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I believe you already know that I am glad to have you back, but I'll reiterate it here anyway. Glad to have you back.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 11:18 

dinowoman wrote:
ClanSoul wrote:
*snuggles with Zeth*
I thought it was Edgeworth you liked snuggling with. Do I have to tell him you're being unfaithful?
Haha please don't :(

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 21:40 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
@Cata - Likewise.

@Les - It is a good game. And I like the Edgeworth character a great deal.

@ClanSoul - *clears throat*
*snuggles stiffly*

@Chaz - It's nice to see you again too.

@Mage - I reiterate my thanks.

-----

I'm really more interested in you guys and what's been going on with our small shared corner of the internet. Or off the internet even.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 00:12 

Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Yikes, computer brutality :/

Hope this works out for ya, and glad to have ya back :)

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 19:17 

"Stiffly" eh?
*slowly pushes you away*

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 20:35 

...I hold no responsibility for this short comic strip, the terrible attempt at humour contained within, nor the poor likeness of the characters to those of actual life-ish:

...So I got bored in college today, and lacking reference turned this into a challenge xD;;

Once again, Welcome back Zeth!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 21:35 
Veteran

I protest. I always notice when someone takes one of my severed heads.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 14:33 
Administrator

Wahahaha!

More!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 17:12 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
You're not taking part in the "A Year of Bad Comics" thing that ClanSoul was trying to get me to do, are you? It fits the format perfectly. :D It's also absolutely brilliant!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 10:26 

There's something like that going on o.o? I hadn't heard about it xD but glad you approve. I've been meaning to do something like this for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it yet ^^; Hopefully I'll have some more popping up as I see amusing things happening here on the comm.

Also, sorry Mage, but you were the first person to come to mind when writing that ^^; At first it was going to be a cake in his hand, but I figured that would spark a 'the cake is a lie' debate, somewhere....

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 12:43 
Administrator

I don't see how that could have been a bad thing, myself.

:zeth:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 22:57 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I seem to be a bit late to this one, but welcome back, and all that! I did notice you were gone, and when I notice something like that, I tend to worry quite a lot.

Oh, well, now to awkwardly hug you until you push me away.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 01:42 
Veteran

Darkest night wrote:
Also, sorry Mage, but you were the first person to come to mind when writing that ^^
I'm just kind of pleased that you thought of me, actually. I would have thought that Cata would be the first one to come to mind where something like that was concerned.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 13:30 

Heh, don't know why, but Cata didn't really spring to mind immediately...though I probably could have worked it out in the end, this occurred to me first, and I liked it too much to think any further, sooooo..

Actually, with you in mind Mage, ever since I read that Let's Play FireRed of yours, I've been dying to draw a few things from that...an Abra with a Top hat being pretty high on that list... >w>

Would you mind if I start doodling some little things that sparked my humour from your Let's Play? I'm not about to say I'll have a new doodle up every week or something, but if I ever get bored and need something to doodle between working on something larger, I'd like to try and make it relevant to something xD;

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 14:30 
Veteran

Mind? Would I mind? Please do that. That would be awesome.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 19:26 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I know it's got nothing to do with me, but I would love to see you do illustrations based on Mage's Let's Play!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 19:34 
Administrator

Jayge doesn't realise it, really, but everyone on the Comm desires his artistry.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 20:48 

xD And their enthusiasm as such never ceases to astound me each and every time, thank you very much~ I'll see what I can come up with ^^

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 21:12 
Administrator

You should just make an ongoing Comm comic strip. It'd be great.