All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2008, 00:00 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Hey there everyone. Since Mercury Ice will be stepping up the quality control, here are a few tips on getting your review accepted. While none of these are actual requirements (i.e. one spelling error does not get you rejected), keeping these things in mind will definitely make your review better and make you a better writer.:

• No/few grammar/spelling errors. If you want to be taken seriously, learn the difference between they're/their/there, it's/its, etc. If you're having problems, type the review up in Word or Firefox, which has a built-in spell checker.
  • Vary your sentences. It's boring to read anything where every sentence starts with "I liked" or "This album." Vary the length of the sentences and how they begin and end.
  • Be confident. Inserting phrases like "I believe," "I thought," or "It seemed" will make it seem like you don't know what you're talking about. This is your review. Own it.
  • Be yourself. This isn't necessarily a flat review. Add in what you thought, how you felt. Speak in your own voice. Again, this is your review.
  • Used unbiased language. Don't insult anyone who doesn't like the band, or any critics of the game. If someone doesn't like it, they don't like it. If you're writing a negative review, don't insult those who do like the book. Also, don't use slang. It just doesn't stand up to the test of time.
  • Don't change the font. If you're copying from Word, press the button on the top-right of the editing box that has "A/A" on it. This will change it to normal editing as opposed to advance. Then press paste and click the box again. This will take out odd font changes, the weird difference with apostrophes, and other nuisances for those who will be copying your review into the editing box on the main page.
  • Follow the review format. If you don't follow the format, that just shows you can't follow the rules. So follow them.
  • Be open to critiques. Other members will read your reviews. Maybe they won't like how you worded something, or maybe something will confuse them. Don't take your frustration out on them; they're just trying to help. The better your review becomes, the better you will look and the more you will learn.
  • Be detailed. You don't have to tell us every second of the game/CD/book/etc., but tell us something about it. What happens? What did you like? What didn't you like? What elements were surprising? Why did you want to review this in the first place? What attracted you to it initially that you wanted to try it? Were you satisfied overall? Why? What are the characters like? These are just a few of the many questions you can ask yourself about the item you're reviewing, and the more details you provide your audience, the more information can get to them and the better informed they will be.
If you have any other suggestions for this list, PM me. It may be added on to at any time, so be sure to check back every so often. Even if nothing's added, it's good to refresh your memory from time to time.

Also remember that you can edit your reviews. It's a good idea to go back to the review every few months and see if there's something you could have worded better, something you could have added, or if your opinion changes. PM me if you want to make changes to your review. I know that I'm going to start going through my own reviews and add more detail, because that's one thing that lacked in the older reviews. You should do the same in a few months.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]