Producer: Square-Enix

Graphics: 8
Gameplay: 10
Storyline: 10
Audio/Sound: 9
Suspense: 9
Overall: 9.2

Rated T; Available for Nintendo DS

Comments: TWEWY is a rarity these days: a game that dared to be innovative, to try new things and to push the limits of its system. Other games have tried; some have failed. Thankfully, TWEWY did not.

The game starts by having Neku, the main character, basically introduce himself with a few short sentences. The gist: he’s a wonderfully misanthropic teenager who wants nothing more than to block out the world around him. Which is all well and good until the actual game begins and you wake up in the center of the Shibuya district’s scramble crossing, with no clue of how you got there. The next thing you know, you’re on the run from monsters, finding a partner, and trying to complete missions to avoid getting erased – which is exactly as bad as it sounds – all while trying to figure out exactly what the hell is going on. It makes for an interesting romp, but the plot very quickly begins to build up and get serious. But you might have been distracted along the way by the combat.

TWEWY’s combat is probably the single most difficult part of the game to master; that said, it is also – by far – the most fun. In battle (which – in another nice touch – is initiated solely at the player’s discretion, a few special/boss battles aside), you control both Neku and his partner, Neku with the stylus and your partner with the D-pad (or the ABXY buttons if you’re left-handed, another nice touch). While your partner has set attack abilities (though you can unlock more as the game progresses), Neku’s attacks are all based off of the “pins” you have equipped. There are over three hundred pins in the game, with dozens of different attacks, referred to as “psychs”, all activated by different means. The Shockwave attack, for example, is a chainable series of short slashing motions with the stylus over an enemy, while Telekinesis attacks hurl objects at foes by dragging across them, and a Cure pin is activated by touching the pin icon itself. There are even some pins activated by blowing or talking into the microphone. Pins gain points from battles, separate from character experience, based on how well you did, and can level up and – in certain cases – evolve into new, stronger pins.

The combat, honestly, is a little overwhelming at first. Thankfully, the computer will take over for your partner if you don’t use them, allowing you to focus solely on Neku – though it should be noted that your partner is generally far more effective if you control them yourself. Nevertheless, it provides an acceptable alternative and allows you to get a feel for the game, and once mastered, the combat is incredibly fun and addictive. It is highly unlikely to be underleveled in TWEWY, simply because you’ll keep fighting battles to enjoy yourself.

Also important is that the battles have adjustable difficulty. You can change the difficulty – you start only with access to Normal, but unlock Easy and Hard as the game progresses, and eventually Ultimate mode. Monsters drop different pins on each difficulty (with the occasional overlap), with different likelihoods of each dropping. The best pins are found on the higher difficulties, of course, but frequently also come with incredibly low drop rates – 5% or less. Fortunately, there’s a way to raise it. Your level is adjustable as well – you can fight at anywhere between your current level and level 1. For each level below your max that you fight at, you will have less health in the battle, but the drop rate (by which the enemies’ base drop rate is multiplied) will increase by one. It’s about finding a balance between difficulty, loot, and just making the game fun for yourself, and is adjustable from your menu at any time, adding an amazing degree of customizability to the game.

There's also the trends to consider - in different areas of Tokyo, different stuff is popular, and what you're using can benefit from this. Equipping Neku and your partner with clothes bought from shops can increase their stats, but the clothes also have different brands. Fight some battles while wearing a particular brand and it can rise on the charts. Using pins of popular brands can increase their attack as high as doubling it!

The graphics are good; the Jupiter team decided to stick with an older sprite look for the characters, but it works quite well, and the various area backgrounds – all of real areas in the Shibuya district of Tokyo – are excellently detailed. The FMVs (such as they are) are something like cardboard cutouts moving across the backgrounds, but are all done in Tetsuya Nomura’s unique style (which many may recognize from Kingdom Hearts) and work well in the environment the game creates for itself.

The sound of this game is a point of debate, but I found it spectacular. The voice acting, primarily in combat, is excellent; each character has a solid, believable voice actor and some hilarious lines. The soundtrack is a bizarre mix of J-pop, rock, techno, and hip-hop, including some truly memorable tunes like Déjà vu, Calling, and the bonus track. The music can be purchased from the shops in item form, from which you can then pick what track you want to play in your menu when you open it.

The plot in this game is nothing short of amazing; it starts off completely unknown, and everything you find out only makes it crazier and crazier until the final battle and the ending, both of which blew me away. And then I got to hear “A Lullaby For You”, the end credits song, and was promptly blown away again. Also: “The World Ends With You” doesn’t mean what you think it does, and I like what it actually means.

The character development is another area where this game shines. Neku, for me, was a believable character whom I grew to love as the story went on, and he’s not alone. All of the characters have some backstory and uniqueness to them. Plus, TWEWY gets props for having possibly one of the most awesome villains ever: Sho Minamimoto. Get to him, and you will understand.

TWEWY also includes some other nifty features, like the Shutdown PP system, which gives points to level up your pins for as long as you have your DS turned off, up to a week, and the Tin Pin Slammer minigame. There’s also a whole mess of postgame content, including an “alternate reality” day of gameplay that had me practically dying of laughter.

Overall: TWEWY is easily one of the best games I have ever played, and is a must-have for anyone with a DS, up there with the Phoenix Wright series. If you have a DS and have yet to get this game, I sincerely recommend you rectify this.

So zetta slow!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 00:25 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I like it. I'll put it up tomorrow, when I'm taking a break from writing my last essay for this one class.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 13:53 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I know it's probably rather superfluous to be commenting on this review now, since Crystal has already accepted it, but I wanted to say how useful I found it. I remember this game coming out - Square emailed me about it - and I thought it looked interesting, but it didn't give enough detail for me to be able to tell whether it would suit me or not. Your review has just told me everything I needed to know. :) I thought it was excellent.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 15:05 

[QUOTE=dinowoman;29192]I know it's probably rather superfluous to be commenting on this review now[/QUOTE]
Not at all! I'm a) glad you liked it and b) more inspired than ever to do more of these! Admittedly, most of my expertise is confined to older systems and PC games, but at the very least I've got a few more DS reviews I could put up (I've been playing the Valkyrie Profile for the DS and it's pretty solid, so I'll probably do that next).

So zetta slow!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 12:06 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
This. looks. awesome.

I've never heard of this game before, but it looks super fun. *writes down on increasingly growing list of DS games I want to own eventually get when I finally get a DS*.

Square Enix, you say? That's okay, I'll hide i t from my boyfriend. (Doesn't like Square Soft or Square Enix)

EDIT: By the way, I meant to mention that when you said, "wonderfully misanthropic" I was already interested. Love the choice of words.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 23:52 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
[QUOTE=theshim;29272]Admittedly, most of my expertise is confined to older systems and PC games, but at the very least I've got a few more DS reviews I could put up (I've been playing the Valkyrie Profile for the DS and it's pretty solid, so I'll probably do that next).[/QUOTE]

Honestly that's what we need. We have a shitton of GB/GBA games (thanks to me owning like 30 games) and the rest of the reviews are scattered across a couple different stations.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009, 03:20 

Good. I got most of of my Valkyrie Profile one done last night before I was severely hijacked, but it should be up tomorrow. After that...hmmm...I could do the Phoenix Wright games, but I could just as easily write "GET THIS GAME NOW, WHY ARE YOU STILL READING, GO!" Ehh, more will come. It's fun to write!

So zetta slow!

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 16:16 
Root Administrator

Hurr way for me to forget about this. I'm putting it up now.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 02:53 
This then increases star wars galaxies maple story powerleveling to a much larger range of skills once players gain some experience and maple story powerleveling specialize as Warrior, Bowman, Thief or Magician, and even larger still once they progress to the next level of job specialization. There's even a basic skill-tree.Some of the skills are maple story powerleveling passive and designed to improve your offensive or defensive capabilities, such as the star wars galaxies power leveling been Eyes ability. Others are more proactive and must be maple story powerleveling physically activated to be used.