All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 10:38 

Medals: 2
Best Staffer (1) Best Traditional Artist (1)
It has been a while since we have had one of these threads active, and since people change drastically over time....

What is your favorite music? What styles do you prefer? Any songwriters you rank above the rest?

Please don't post something lame like "I like all music" and leave it at that. Fun fact: Most people that think they listen to all kinds of music listen to a very small fraction of what is out there. Be specific! It is the point of this thread.

I myself have been submerged deep within the alternative rock movements of the 80s lately. Been listening to a lot of post punk, noise rock, new wave, and shoegaze lately. Not just from the 80s, but modern bands who take on the same general style as well. My currently most listened to acts within this realm include My Bloody Valentine(Pre Loveless era), PinkshinyUltrablast, A place to Bury strangers, autolux, Gang of Four, and others.

As well as alt rock I have been listening to a lot of classical. Some modern composers like Ludovico Einaudi(this man is god), Philip Wesely, Balmorhea, as well as some of the past greats, especially Chopin and Vivaldi.

Besides all of that I once in a while listen to black Metal, progressive rock, classic rock, punk rock(though a very tiny amount of this) and indie pop acts.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 11:44 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Well my favourite music is no contest: Arjen Lucassen's Ayreon project. It's a progressive metal project that weaves a very rich, deep and convoluted story spanning 6 albums (of which my favourite is 01011001). Most of the metal genres appeal to me, though I, in general, do not care for Stoner, Death, Black or Trash.

I've also been listening to a great deal of Globus, Nero's Day at Disneyland, Sabaton, St. Vincent, Within Temptation and Hans Zimmer lately, though they've all been in my library for quite some time.

Something "newer" that I've really been enjoying is Pendulum, which is classified as Psychadelic Metal/Rock, IIRC. It's also something I've had in my library for quite some time, but because of having to go through my entire collection over, I hadn't really a chance to listen to them too much the first time around.

This is just a tiny snibbit of what I have, know and like, since, musically, I really get around.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 14:34 
Veteran

I will listen to almost anything, but I prefer metalcore, hardcore, deathcore, basically all core music. And hip-hop. I know that's kind of out there compared to core music, but I will go from BFMV to Eminem to All That Remains to Fabolous to Trivium and so on.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 14:47 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I can't honestly say I understand the draw of core music. Care to expound?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 16:13 
Veteran

I really don't know how to explain why I like it. When I hear it, it just clicks with me. Metalcore was the genre that introduced me to core music to begin with. My best friend Adam in high school got me into Atreyu and from there it went on and on with metalcore the I discovered deathcore when I heard Suicide Silence in Hot Topic once, then from there I found post-hardcore with Chiodos, and it just goes on like that.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 20:47 

I pretty much listen to various metal subgenres, my favorites being power metal, thrash metal, and just straightforward heavy metal. I also listen to doom, melodic death (never liked straight up death metal), black, folk, progressive, -core (mostly metalcore, but I have stuff that falls under deathcore and post-hardcore), symphonic, and gothic metal to varying degrees. Only reason I'm being so specific is basically to say that anything I didn't list is something I either don't like or am unfamiliar with. Or forgot, likely.

Also, I listen to a little bit of rock. Rise Against, Alice Cooper if you don't count him as metal (I don't...some of his albums could count as metal but others, not even close), and Pop Evil being the only rock bands that appear in my collection more than once.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2011, 00:59 
Administrator

We need more diverse hipsters on Mercury.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 12:03 

I'm a huge fan of rock and metal, but I'll listen to pretty much anything if it's good. Not very much into rap/R&B and most country music :P .

I'm also really starting to get into industrial rock, techno and D&B~

edit : I heart Machinae Supremacy very very much :3

[align=center][font=arial]Pueden robaaaaaaarte el corazón,
cagarte a tiros el morón,
pueden lavarte la cabeza por nada.
La escuela nunca me enseñó
que al mundo lo han partido en dos,
mientras los sueños se desangran por nada...

Pero el amoooorrr es maaas fuerte <3[/font]
[/align]