All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 23:38 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
What's the absolute worst movie you've ever seen?

I think mine is Night of the Living Dead. You have to cut it a bit of slack because it's a 1960's horror film, but that movie was so bad it was hilarious.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 00:17 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
PotC, At worlds end... way too many pirates for this ninja... that and I knew exactly where it was going when they fought the asian pirates, waste of my money...

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 09:12 
I haven't seen world's end yet. I was afraid to see it cause I was disappointed with Dead Mans Chest. There wasn't anything horrible about it just didn't live up to Curse of the Black Pearl for me.
Worst movie I've ever seen? That's kind of hard since well there's alot of ones I haven't liked. I'm very picky about movies for some reason. If I had to pick it would probably be one of these:
Titanic - Do I even need to explain this one?
Pan's Labyrinth - I don't care how much people say this was a magical fantasy for adults. It was depressing and rushed. If this is a fantasy for adults I'd rather stay in the real world thank you.
The Crow: City of Angels - I LOVED the first Crow. I read the plot line of this before I saw it, and thought it sounded good. Then I saw the movie. *twitch* It was done horribly. They rushed the interesting parts of the storyline to make room for gore and violence. And yes the first movie also had alot of violence in it but it felt more connected with the storyline, not like it was taking away from it.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 10:58 

Kung Pow - Enter the Fist... So bad it was freakin funny.

"From the darkness you will see the light. However, the light you see will be the glow of my Saber as you are torn asunder."

-Darth Midnight

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 11:31 

Medals: 1
2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1)
SuperShin;17949 wrote:
Kung Pow - Enter the Fist... So bad it was freakin funny.

That was the whole point of the movie.

Pan's Labyrinth was extremely disappointing for me. Every thing I heard and saw about it looked awesome and I went expecting the girl to be lost in a magical labyrinth with a ton of fucked up creatures, kind of like Alive in Wonderland.

Night of the Living Dead is a fantastic movie, especially for it's time. It critiques US society and revolutionizes the horror movie genre. Some of it's effects where way out from the standard and it's a really good movie for it's time and for it being independent. Back then that was scary shit and people couldn't take it. Now and days we can see it and brush it off, that's how we've been molded by media and society. We don't see violence or horrible things as scary any more. That is also an underlying theme in Dairy of the Dead.

On the subject of Pirates of the Caribbean, I absolutely hate Dead Man's Chest. I got so bored with it that I couldn't bother to watch it for long before walking off to my room to do something more interesting. It was a bad follow up and could never have been better than it's predecessor.

Probably one of the most terrible movies I've ever watched was The Eye (original Cantonese version). It was hardly scary and took to long to get going. Characters were less than average and were pretty bland, making it so you couldn't really connect at all. When the horror part came along it just came off as "Oh hey look something that doesn't exist that can't do anything to anyone is walking around, big whoop". I stopped watching half way through the movie the first time I put it in my DVD player.

Gotta love music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAnkwiK9_s
It\'s always nice in my opinion

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 12:04 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Back in the 80s there was a TV series on the worst movies of all time, and they showed a spate of old low-budget 60s sci-fi movies, which were truly dire. I can't remember the titles of most of them, but I think the one they voted the worst was called Plan 9 From Outer Space, and it certainly was terrible, but there were others which I thought were equally bad.

Coming forward a little in time, I remember seeing Slap Shot (I think that was a 70s movie) with a friend in a cinema in Germany, and we both came away wondering why we'd bothered to see it. Mind you, the fact that it was dubbed into German probably didn't help.

I agree that PotC At World'd End wasn't exactly a great movie, though I didn't think it was as awful as all the critics made out. The first movie was excellent, largely because it was so original, but they should never have attempted any sequels because inevitably the element of originality will no longer be there. I thought both Dead Man's Chest and At World's End were entertaining enough, but I wouldn't want to bother watching them again.

I felt the same about Beowulf. "Entertaining rubbish" was how I described it after we left the cinema. The CG effects were good, but the acting left a lot to be desired and the casting was very strange. (And what nationality were they all supposed to be? Every main character seemed to have a different accent.)

Final Fantasy The Spirits Within was another movie where all the effort seemed to have been put into the graphics (which were stunning) at the expense of everything else.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 16:51 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Night of the Living Dead is a great social commentary, but a horrible movie. The acting (especially from the women, and note this is coming from a woman) is horrendous. Things like the girl driving 5 miles an hour with a zombie on her car, the fact she doesn't even START the car until the zombie breaks the glass (he beats on it for several minutes before picking up a rock), and other asinine actions that don't match how people would really act in those situations make the movie horrible. Yes, it's a great social commentary. But it's a horrible movie, and I'm not even talking about the violence.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 15:25 
Veteran

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

I actually asked the woman behind the counter at Blockbuster if I could get my money back for that piece of shit.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 19:33 

Mortal Kombat Annihilation was pretty bad too... what a way to butcher a cashcow =(

"From the darkness you will see the light. However, the light you see will be the glow of my Saber as you are torn asunder."

-Darth Midnight

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2008, 12:43 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Panic;18060 wrote:
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

I actually enjoyed Kung Pow. I watched it after someone else recommended it to me. The whole point of it was that it was poking fun at bad martial arts movies, so it quite deliberately had a stupid plot, silly dialogue, and bad continuity. And I found the way they took footage from an old movie and dubbed different dialogue over the top quite amusing.

But each to his own taste.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 04:11 
I thought that Operation Condor was probably the worst movie I ever saw in the theater....

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2008, 13:08 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I never saw Operation Condor. What was particularly bad about it?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 08:28 

Gamer......really wtf was that! i was so angry that i turned it off before i even got 10 minutes into the damn thing

-------------------------

Still can\'t help but love you Rock Lee!!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2010, 15:38 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
The Room - thanks to Tommy Wiseau, who wrote, directed and starred in the lead role, who somehow manages to horribly fail at all three. His acting is hilariously bad, his writing is awkward at best and absolutely WTF! at worst. His directing and cinematography is hilariously terribad. I mean, the film was so bad that he eventually backpedaled into saying it was a parody. The only real redeeming feature of this, is that the movie is so bad it's hilarious. I went to a midnight screening and getting packed into a theatre with two hundred similarly mind people there to mock the fuck out of this film (complete with throwing of plastic spoons) was an experience I recommend to every single one of you.

Then there's Howard the Duck, whose sole redeeming feature is Lea Thompson, not the character she plays, not anything she does, just the fact that she looked pretty good in the eighties. That's how far I had to go to find a redeeming feature. Nothing else about the movie seems worth talking about.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 16:34 
Root Administrator

I remembered another really terrible movie. Dark Water. There is NOTHING. NOTHING. scary about mold. Period.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 10:50 

Where to begin...

Napolean Dynamite - If this was supposed to be funny, then all sense of humor in Hollywood has died. Which, actually, it pretty much has anyway.

Fantastic Four - I don't really like F4 that much anyway, but it was a super hero movie, so I was pretty much drawn to it. Man, it was stupid, and boring as hell.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - for reasons already mentioned.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but those are the main ones.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 01:21 
“Jhorn carter” is the worst movie I’ve watched I personally docent like, because it is an historical movie.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 11:41 
Veteran

I've seen some terrible movies in my life as well. Here are a few of them:

Super Mario Brothers Movie: This was one of the first bad movies I've ever seen as a kid. When I heard they were doing a movie on one of my favorite video game series, I was excited over it. I watched it... Only to find myself very upset over it. I felt the movie had little to nothing to do with the games themselves. Also, the Yoshi looked like a rejected model of the Velociraptor from Jurassic Park.

Bruno- When I heard about this movie, I thought it would be akin to the previous movie Borat. 10 minutes into the film, I had to shut it off in disgust. Unfortunately, my mom was watching it as well and we both felt unclean after that...

Troll 2- The worst film I've ever watched! I heard stories about how infamous it was and it just so happened to have been playing one night on Chiller. I decided to give it a go, thinking it couldn't be as awful as they said it was.

I was dead wrong. Every single thing about that film was terrible! The acting, the props, the effects, the story... You could pick anything about the movie and it would be a huge bomb. I had to force myself through the entire film, trying to resist the temptation of changing the channel to other, more engaging shows like Futurama.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 13:08 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Man, I can't deny that the Super Mario Bros Movie was awful, because it really was. But some weird, inexplicable combination of "So bad it's good" and nostalgia and "Well you tried" and maybe also morbid fascination makes me still want to watch it again.

The only movie that was so bad I actually got up and walked out on was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 14:19 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Since I've already mentioned the WORST movies I've seen from a human being perspective, there's also the worst movie I've seen from a History Buff perspective, which is probably The Patriot, which honestly is worse than Braveheart, and unlike Red Cliff (a much better movie) or The Green Berets (a much more accurate movie) can't even claim to be propaganda of some degree or other.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 16:18 

Zeth wrote:
Man, I can't deny that the Super Mario Bros Movie was awful, because it really was. But some weird, inexplicable combination of "So bad it's good" and nostalgia and "Well you tried" and maybe also morbid fascination makes me still want to watch it again.

The only movie that was so bad I actually got up and walked out on was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

I actually watched SMB again a couple years ago for pretty much for the reasons you mentioned, and it was still awful. I liked Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy though, but that's probably because I haven't read the books.

Also, even though I only watched it for about 5 minutes, I'm now 100% sure Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector is the worst movie ever made in the history of things ever being made.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 16:54 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Venom wrote:
I liked Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy though, but that's probably because I haven't read the books.
I haven't read them either. Everyone tells me they're leagues better than the film. I don't have much choice but to believe them. A number of people in my writing workshop last semester told me that my writing style in Driftspace reminded them a lot of Douglas Adams too. The instructor said she assumed I'd been trying to emulate him, but then, I never really trusted anything she said. She's one of those people for whom "if you can't do, teach" holds remarkably true. Especially since the maxim says nothing about teaching well.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 18:57 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I also didn't dislike the movie, though the radio series (which came first) and the books were definitely better. I had heard some fans complaining that they'd changed some aspects of the story, but that isn't a valid criticism because Douglas Adams changed the story each time it was released in a new medium: the books didn't exactly match the radio series and the TV series (which really was dire - it was made on an extremely low budget and looks it) didn't match either of them. I won't pretend the movie was brilliant, but it was infinitely better than the TV show.

I was also one of the people who remarked that your writing style in Driftspace reminded me of Douglas Adams - which is a compliment - I love his style. But if I were in your place I'd feel quite hurt if my teacher thought I'd been trying to emulate him him - it fails to recognise your originality and own natural style.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 19:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
The Word emulate would also bother me there...

As for bad Films, I saw an Adaptation of Beowulf a few Years ago, which was quite horrible.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 21:14 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
All of the worst movies I've seen by far have been SyFy Original Movies. The one that sticks out to me is something called Black Forest, which...it appeared as thought a very, very basic pitch for the movie had been given to three different people, who had all interpreted it in completely different ways, and who then all wrote their parts of the script in total seclusion from each other, and then these parts were pasted together at random, and nobody did any research.