All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 15:49 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'm kind of surprised we don't have a topic for this.

So I watched ATLA and was pretty impressed with it. I hadn't watched it for whatever reason, and finally broke down. The first eight or nine episodes, I could see the appeal as a kids' show, but wasn't really understanding why it was so appealing to adults. Then Aang's training finally started and the filler became... less so... and I started to get it. I think it took me three days to watch the entire thing.

I haven't watched TLoK but that should be somewhat soon. Apparently a new season is out on the 13th or something.

I do have a random question for people who have seen either/both series: do you consider it to be an anime? MyAnimeList does not (and from my understanding, will not ever) list it as an anime but several fans have been arguing with them for years, apparently, to have it included. I have my own thoughts on the matter but I wanted to hear from other people first.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 20:29 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
As 'Anime' generally refers to a specific Style of Animation produced in Japan, and this is an American-made Series with East-Asian Influences, I would not consider it Anime, though the Style is somewhat reminiscent of it. I've enjoyed both Series greatly, but prefer The Last Airbender by far.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 16:30 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
While I think it's very much in the anime style, the fact that it's American would prevent me from classifying it as an actual anime.

I watched the entire thing, both The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra over the course of about 3 or 4 days while staying with Sam last year. I thought ATLA was wonderful - I was totally enthralled by it within a few episodes and I loved the epic scope of the storyline, not to mention the character development, especially of Zuko. Korra was enjoyable, but the story is much more limited, both in scope and in length, than that of ATLA, and I also felt the style was much more that of a typical American action cartoon series.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 23:38 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I guess my problem with saying "It's not an anime" because it doesn't hail from Japan is because anime hasn't been a Japanese-only creation for a long time. We have people in various parts of Asia that have created anime and people don't say, "Well it's not from Japan," when it comes to those, so why should it be different if an American, Canadian or European studio creates something that is so obviously influenced not only by anime's style, but from Eastern culture in general? (Not to mention that three different Korean animation studios that have done countless Japanese anime helped with the animation for ATLA.) I understand making a distinction between, say, Gundam and Bugs Bunny, but Bugs Bunny has very little in common with the defining aspects of anime. I mean, Flutter won an award at the Tokyo Anime Awards in 2006, and that was made by Canadians. Anime may have come from the Japanese word for "animation" but I just don't feel it's a Japan-only export anymore. Likewise, I think that if a Japanese studio were to release a cartoon that was very heavily influenced by Western animation and culture(s), I would hesitate to call it an anime.

Though I will agree that Korra feels more Western than ATLA does. I just finished the 12 episodes that are out (the next season starts on the 13th, as I mentioned before), and there is a definite mood shift. I'm not sure if that's because Korra is so different from Aang, or because it's gone forward in time so there are cars and stuff (for some reason I always associate those types of cars and blimps with England, and the planes with Germany or America), a mixture of both, or something else altogether.

For ATLA, I think Zuko was by far the most interesting character and most well-developed by the end of the series, and actually Aang didn't really interest me all that much until he had to make his final decision at the end of the series. I think all of the main cast were pretty fun characters, but I wish they'd done more with Katara and the whole bloodbending thing, as I feel like Zuko should have been more freaked out when he saw her do that, and I also think that during a certain fight where Zuko was knocked down, it would have been interesting to see how the opponent would have handled being bloodbent. I mean, if I saw what had happened to Zuko, and I suspected that things may be really bad for him at that moment, I don't know that I would have been able to control myself. Toph was great, but other than her being a rich blind girl who got picked on when she was younger, I didn't really get the sense that there was much there.

As far as Korra goes, I think the plot is a bit more rushed, so I definitely agree with that. When she loses her other bending powers, I would have made that last at least another episode, because I think that Korra could have learned a lot from that experience, especially what it means to feel powerless. That could have been for some interesting character development, resulting in her having a discussion with Tenzin about how non-benders must feel, and that maybe helping Tenzin going forward on the council to aid in restoring the relationships between the two groups. I'd also like to see more character development in Bolin, because while I like him as a character, I kind of feel like he's Sokka's replacement and I also feel like Sokka's development came too late in the series for me to really care.

Spoiler: show
I do think that the descendants of most of the original crew are more interesting people than the original cast. Tenzin interests me than Aang and arguably Katara, and Lin interests me more than Toph (annoyed we don't know who the husband is, but maybe that will get shown). I'm a little sad it doesn't seem that Sokka had kids. (I didn't see any of Suki at all in any of the Avatar flashbacks, but maybe that is still to come.) It's too early to tell whether Iroh will be more interesting than his grandfather Zuko, but I find that will probably be difficult, given how well Zuko was done. I'm hoping Mai was the mother on that side, even if I did find their relationship to be incredibly uncomfortable at times. I do think it's funny they have the same voice actors, but I like his voice, so that's okay.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 00:13 
Veteran

The Style isn't actually close enough to what I associate with being 'Anime' for me to call it that, and, though most everything I would call Anime is in some Way Japanese in Origin, I suppose it is dangerous to say something must be Japanese in order to Qualify as Anime (which is the Japanese Term for everything which has been mentioned here, if Memory serves). The whole of the Avatar Franchise, however, though it is clearly influenced by Anime, simply lacks something in my Mind to make it so, though I am having a difficult Time of defining it; perhaps it lies in the Fact that it is rather clearly Eastern-influenced Western Animation... it shall likely come to me in a few Days.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 12:28 
Root Administrator

The third season just ended I guess. I dropped it after the second, but for anyone still watching it, how was it?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 21:13 
Veteran

In a very short answer, MUCH better than the second. I actually DO recommend watching it — it feels much more like a real successor to the original, though is still not, perhaps, quite as good. The lack of real overarching plot is probably the reason that Korra's tale is not as engrossing as Aang's, but we're getting closer to something like it.

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 12:28 
Root Administrator

Late response, but I watched the ending and read up on it a bit, and I feel like it might be worth it for me to pick it up at some point.

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 22:00 
Veteran

That is late, but Books 3 and 4 are really very much better than the first two, and especially the second (which I, again, found hugely disappointing). My youngest sister wants them to make another book, but I don't think that very likely.