All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Avengers 2
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 09:31 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
My head nearly exploded when I saw we didn't even have a topic for the FIRST Avengers movie. How did that happen? Or am I blind?
Anyway.

This isn't a new thought, but this clip sorta highlighted it for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPmN_hANEz8

I'm not really one for wild and rampant fan speculation, especially for a movie more than a year and a half away, but, rgh: do not know how to feeeeeeeeel! I mean on the one hand it does "fit" with the premise. Sort of. Despite the aliens being involved being all the wrong ones and there being no reason to really introduce the Danvers character (unless maybe Rhodey/War Machine has a connection? That would actually be an interesting take IMO) without being blatantly contrived. On the other hand, Janet van Dyne doesn't mesh with any of this, and is definitely not Whedon's speed. And regardless, I don't think Whedon's the type to just flood the little cinemaverse with "ALL OF THE SUPER CHARACTERS!"; he's smarter than that and knows that just throwing superheroes at the problem doesn't make for great filmmaking.

Post subject: Re: Avengers 2
PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 07:46 

I just know that James Spader as Ultron was the best decision they could have made.

PostPosted: 13 May 2014, 23:43 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
In retrospect...Janet van Dyne makes sense now.

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 04:08 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
I gotta admit, It'll probably be a great film like the first one, but my ass will be in the seat for One reason.

Hulk Buster Suit.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 08:08 

The answer was Black Widow, Chaz! Haha

Though I admit I wasn't aware the Hulk Buster would appear. Thought it was all done after Iron Man 3.

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 16:01 
Administrator

Neither a Black Widow nor a Scarlett Johanson fan. I don't have anything against them but they never did anything for me.

I'm more interested in how they're going to address Henry Pym. It's not like they can have the film without him being involved somehow. I hope they bash him BAD. As badly as he deserves. Which is really really bad. And they best not dare to invoke his superpowers as an add on to the team.

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 19:39 

Why the hate on Henry Pym?

PostPosted: 14 May 2014, 19:45 
Administrator

Pick a random era of Pym. He's either got a silly superpower, is a thief, beats his wife, steals his wife's persona, is a mentally ill mass murderer by proxy or at best is simply a blasé guy doing science in the background at the whim of the more interesting characters.

I'll lay all that aside for the sake of argument--not trying to be vehement in the expression of this opinion--if you can cite a reason to actually like Henry Pym.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:33 

One word: Castle. If you see the character's portrayal of the series of the same name, you can see that he fits in the sort of serious-but-funny folk type that Marvel seems to like for their movies.

PostPosted: 15 May 2014, 21:40 
Administrator

I'm...sorry, I can't find anything on Google about Pym and Castle. Unless you mean the rumour that Fillion is going to be cast as Pym, in which case my response is that you can still cast an amazing person to play a crap character. That said, it's still not a reason to like Henry Pym, since it hasn't even happened yet.

PostPosted: 18 May 2014, 20:44 

Dunno. Hace you ever watched the old iron man cartoon where the characters only move their lips?

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 01:04 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
I heard a thing about Pym not actually being involved :P

There's a little deleted scene somewhere from Iron Man 2, I think, in which Jarvis has a bit of a moment, setting up for a potential 'Stark creates Ultron' alternation, which would be interesting. A fun reference too, given the older incarnation of Jarvis (the flesh and blood butler)'s relationship with Ultron in past canon.

This also sets up for a 'Stark-made-Vision/Jarvis' alternation, which would be very amusing to see.

Also, hulkbuster. Yes. Very much approve.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 20:50 
Administrator

JARVIS/Vision would be OUTSTANDING. And make a lot of sense...from a plot perspective. What I don't expect to happen though is them to give Tony credit for Vision without also inflicting him with Ultron. I'd figure they'd either give him both or neither. If the films so far are anything to judge by, Tony will not be given every success without having near equal failures.

I think if they were going to give Tony the credit for the AIs though, there'd be stronger hints. Granted the deleted scene, yes. But it was deleted. Not certain what to think there.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 03:57 

Found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwru8C46qZE

My bad, wasn't a deleted scene, but an animatic for the first avengers movie. That's what I get for talking about something before I go looking for it myself xD

Spoiler: show
I've got a theory in which Jarvis, after the events of Iron Man 3, among other things, gets corrupted and builds an autonomous Iron Man suit for himself. OR Tony builds one for him, so that he can take over his role among the Avengers. With this suit and the corruption, Ultron makes sense.

Ultron's biggest thing is self-improvement, it's why there's so damned many different versions of him, he keeps rebuilding himself from various different models. I wouldn't be surprised if that adamantium robot samurai thing from The Wolverine pops up in this as well. So Jarvis rebuilds himself a few times and shifts neatly into the supervillain role, kicks the Avengers around for a while, and forces them into a corner.

With that settled, Stark comes up with a plan. Only thing that could compete with an AI like that is another AI, designed from the ground up to take it out. So he rehashes a new version of Jarvis from an older version or something, has it build itself a suit, and Vision happens.

While we're at it, we're also likely to see Loki's sceptre from the first Avengers come back as well. I think it's one of the Infinity Gauntlet pieces, but that may well be besides the point. More importantly, I reckon Ultron's gonna use that as a power source, which would provide ample explanation for how powerful he is. Also, I can't remember what happened to the Blue Cube after the first Avengers film, but if peeps have that handy then it provides a second, and justified, power source for Vision. Either that, oooooooor, Ultron nabs the Blue Cube and the good guys manage to get Loki's sceptre for Vision.

Should be fun seeing what they do with this, no?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 19:12 

Love your theory Jayge. The rebuilding aspect sounds compelling.
Albeit (sadly), the adamantium samurai suit cannot appear since the Xmen licence is out of Marvel's hands right now (as well as Spidey's). I doubt they'd use it.

Btw, the cube was taken by Thor to Asgard. Can't recall if the cube or the other dark elf thing was given to The Collector by Thor's friends.

I can't wait to hear Ultron's voice. James Spader is gonna rock this movie!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 20:27 
Administrator

I don't think I can really top or agree more with the two preceding posts--they make sense, especially with Nighty's clarifications there. I would like to add on thing though that you both seem to be forgetting:

Thanos.

I mean we know he's involved, since he's already been featured in the first film. We also know that he was instrumental in Loki's shenanigans in the first Avenger's film. We also know that Ultron has a tendency to fly out into space and came back stronger and refocused. I can't recall so somebody feel free to correct me, but wasn't there a strong implication that Loki's staff was given to him by Thanos? And I would like to cite Captain Marvel #30--or it may have been 29, I'm not a follower of Captain Marvel--in which early after his introduction, Thanos comes to Earth seeking super..er powers from the Cosmic Cube. Cosmic Cube which is...a lot like the Infinity things which have been bouncing around the cinemaverse like Rare Candies.

I predict a Thanatos Gambit.

Also, in regards to that AMC animatics speculation youtube video: what kind of idiots are surprised that Joss Whedon was already thinking of Avengers 2 while developing Avengers 1? That's just typical Whedon. I would be surprised/disappointed if he didn't have a trilogy mapped out when he responded with "Yes I will do Avengers".

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 20:50 

xD I hadn't thought about the licensing, silly me. That is a pity. I suppose it'll likely have to be vibranium then, despite the whole 'it's space metal, this is all we have' thing in regards to Cap's shield. Though the Winter Soldier kinda went over that one quite happily... and it was Stark Snr. who found the original rock, so I'd wager that Tony's able to whip together something out of the stuff...

So the cube's out of the picture, but yeah, Loki's staff came from Thanos, as far as I know. So with the blue cube and the red/black stone out of the picture, that just leaves the staff as a potential thing? Should be interesting. I don't know much about the Cosmic Cube, admittedly, but yeah, I think that they're bringing that and the infinity gauntlet together as kind've the same thing for this. It makes a fair deal of sense, after all.

XD I think that they're mostly just impressed that this level of over-arching preparation is being done in cinema at all. It's almost expected of Whedon, but it is really, really rare to see in most movie franchises. I'm quite a big fan of how cinema seems to be getting comic-book style humour down, finally.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 22:04 
Administrator

Jayge wrote:
XD I think that they're mostly just impressed that this level of over-arching preparation is being done in cinema at all. It's almost expected of Whedon, but it is really, really rare to see in most movie franchises.
I cite my signature:

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 21:33 

Zeth wrote:

I mean we know he's involved, since he's already been featured in the first film. We also know that he was instrumental in Loki's shenanigans in the first Avenger's film. We also know that Ultron has a tendency to fly out into space and came back stronger and refocused. I can't recall so somebody feel free to correct me, but wasn't there a strong implication that Loki's staff was given to him by Thanos? And I would like to cite Captain Marvel #30--or it may have been 29, I'm not a follower of Captain Marvel--in which early after his introduction, Thanos comes to Earth seeking super..er powers from the Cosmic Cube. Cosmic Cube which is...a lot like the Infinity things which have been bouncing around the cinemaverse like Rare Candies.

Yes, he gave him the staff, albeit indirectly (it was through the leader of those aliens which I keep forgetting the name of).

As for the cosmic cube, it was sort of combined with the infinity gems for the series' plot iirc. Now, I doubt the staff has an infinity gem, since then why would he hand it so freely to Loki? Though I guess it has huge power of its own. What troubles me is how The Collector would fit in all of this, but I guess Guardians of the Galaxy would do that for us.

Jayge wrote:
I think that they're mostly just impressed that this level of over-arching preparation is being done in cinema at all. It's almost expected of Whedon, but it is really, really rare to see in most movie franchises. I'm quite a big fan of how cinema seems to be getting comic-book style humour down, finally.

Disney got a hit when they bought Marvel. The movie slash series style has been a huge success. So much that we got a new Spidey and the Xmen revived, the later of which got into really weird explanations for reviving half the cast. Guess they didn't want to throw down the drain all the investment they gave Hugh Jackman (the now real life Wolverine hahaha).

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 01:43 

I think that the Collector is likely to be played as a sort-of-villain, stealing away little bits of everything for some unknown reason. The Guardians gives us a great opportunity specifically as they may well be called in to take something back from him, so that'd be interesting. That would provide a neat reveal, where we see the cruz of the collector's character in that he's collecting things to keep them safe from beings who are practically events that happen to the universe occasionally, like Thanos, for instance. Zeth's rather apt prediction of a Thanatos gambit may come into play here.

I'm -really- curious about how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are going to play into the Avengers universe o.o

I do like that Spiderman and Xmen both got reboots that were good :) I'm very happy to see them doing well now. Just a shame that they're keeping the three universes separate.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2014, 23:22 
Administrator

Jayge wrote:
I'm -really- curious about how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are going to play into the Avengers universe o.o
Long story short they won't. A sad fact but nobody really wants to double cast the characters, but then there's also the rights thing already brought up. Impasse.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 07:39 

Hm, I heard that they've resolved the rights thing? Though I'd also heard that due to more rights stuff, Iron man and Capt. America won't be in this movie xD That would suck pretty badly

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 21:56 
Administrator

...yeah I don't really buy that they can make an Avengers 2 without Hombre Hierro and Cap.

Also I saw--finally--Iron Man 3 and I'm dead sold on the JARVIS/Ultron thing.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 13:23 

Here's hoping that they sort this out, I'd to see a franchise finally done right close prematurely due to legislation, of all things.

Woot woot! What was your take on how they handled the Mandarin?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 17:45 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
That reminds me. This is a few days late, but I think you guys might appreciate it.