All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 13:45 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
So I have this Livestream account that I made. And I have the episodes of a bunch of off-air (and a few still-airing) television shows on my harddrive.

So I was wondering if anybody would be interested in just sitting around and watching some old TV shows together. Mage and I do it pretty regularly, but maybe a little less regularly we could have a larger audience. The shows I'd be pulling from would be from amongst those in my personal collection, including:
  • Community
  • Doctor Who
  • Farscape
  • Firefly
  • Futurama
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I also wouldn't mind featuring Cowboy Bebop and Battlestar Galactica (new series) if/when I get them. I also have Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Blake's 7, but I probably wouldn't show those until after Rachel and I start watching them. I would probably be livecasting on two different nights if I did this. Sci-Fi Saturdays (DW, Farscape, Firefly and potentially BSG rotation) and Miscellaneous Mondays (everything else in a rotation). But only if there are enough people who think they'd be interested to justify hosting this little project.

Anybody think they'd drop in?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 13:51 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Sounds good to me :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 13:52 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I would. =)

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 14:09 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
One question more: Does anybody have experience with using Livestream?

(And a note: I would be livecasting both Classic and New Who episodes.)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 15:31 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I would be extremely interested in this if it could be done at a time when I'm available to watch. I love Doctor Who and Farscape and it'd be a wonderful opportunity to finally get to see Firefly and Community.

I was going to add that I have Cowboy bebop on DVD, but I'm not sure of the practicality of uploading the entire series and getting to you (or even if files ripped from European DVDs would be viewable).

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 16:19 
Administrator

European DVDs are no problem; but I've now actually got about half the series torrented anyway. Good quality looks like.
Got a source for BSG too. Looking into Black Lagoon atm.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 16:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Well. I'm in. Obviously.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 19:08 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
If anyone is interested in going way back, I've got the animated Batman series, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 19:14 
Veteran

I've actually been wanting to watch Batman: tAS for a while now but haven't gotten around to it.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 20:12 
Administrator

Erm, when we say "Batman: TAS" and/or Animated Batman, which one are we talking about exactly? I'm down with it no matter which and Pokémon as well (no real interest in Sailor Moon), I'm just curious.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 23:36 
Veteran

I was under the impression that we were talking about this.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 00:40 
Root Administrator

(I think there is only one animated Batman series. I'm sure there are other series where Batman makes an appearance, but this is the only one I ever watched.)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 11:12 
Administrator

Well there were series like Batman Forever and...and something else I can't recall. I'm not really up on the Batman scene since DC never particularly appealed to me. (Except Teen Titans--that show was awesome.) Anywho.

I wouldn't mind throwing B:TAS into the rota if somebody had a way of getting me the episodes or else wanted to livestream the episodes themselves.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 12:07 
Root Administrator

Oh, Batman Forever is a movie. The older movies are amusing in their own right... It would be kind of fun to MYST3K them or something. Especially Batman Forever. I think B:tAS is the only cartoon though. Aside from the very interesting way they decided to animate the show (light colors on black paper instead of dark colors on white paper), the show is actually fairly deep and as far as I know, true to the real concept of Batman (instead of the atrocities that were the Nolan movies).

I have the episodes and could send them to you or show them myself. Either is fine.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 13:05 
Administrator

Oh, that it is. I looked it up and what I was actually thinking of was Batman Beyond. There's also The New Adventures of Batman and the New Batman Adventures (creative naming scheme, right?). And Brave and the Bold.

Anyway, I'll take the episodes if you have a good way of sending them. If there isn't a good way, then I don't have a problem with you showing them.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 13:18 
Root Administrator

Ohhh. Those are the newer ones. This one only ran from 1992-1995 or something. It's "old school" as far as Batman cartoons go. Well, with the exception of The New Adventures of Batman which I've never seen 'cause I think it came out in the 70s and only lasted like... two months? Something like that.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 18:16 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I'm quite interested.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 19:34 

I'm interested, particularly in Batman: TAS. I used to watch it all the time, so it would be cool to see it again since I'm too cheap to buy the DVD sets. XD

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 23:50 
Administrator

Well I think this is certainly enough attention to warrant doin' it. I'm thinking probably starting next Saturday with a Sci-Fi Saturday at 10PM EST.
I think that unfortunately would remove Les from the equation, but most of the UK folks I know are actually up at that time anyway, and IIRC there's a plus twelve hour difference for the folks in most of Australia, which would make it...something like 8PM the following day there? So that would work? I can't recall and I'm too dang lazy to check.

Given BSG has not arrived yet, I'll probably be launching with Doctor Who (New), Farscape, or Firefly. I'm leaning toward one of the latter two, but I have the feeling that this board's members have more of Doctor Who in common than Farscape or Firefly.

Any votes? I'll be showing all the series in chronological order, so keep in mind certain series have more interesting Pilot Episodes than others.
(IMO: Firefly has the most interesting pilot of these three options, followed by a so-so DW 2005 pilot (w/ Chris Eccleston), and then trailed by a rather boring pilot for Farscape.)

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 00:25 
Root Administrator

In order, my preferences are:

DW > Firefly > Farscape

Only because, while I know a lot about Doctor Who, I haven't seen much of it.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 07:06 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
For very selfish reasons I would propose Doctor Who, because I've seen it so I wouldn't feel so upset about missing it. :P

I don't suppose there is any possibility that you could manage to show Firefly early in the evening at some point so that I might stand some chance of getting to see it?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 14:50 
Veteran

I would propose watching Doctor Who first, because it's not very heavy on overarching plots (at least not until season five); the episodes are all fairly self-contained so if you've got the basic premise down you should be good to watch. That way if we encounter problems or scheduling gets messed around or we miss episodes here and there it wouldn't be a big disruption, since it'd be fairly easy to pick up the show even if you'd missed an episode or two or we had long stretches of time between episodes. I'd propose holding off on the plot-heavy shows until we had a good, stable routine going and had everything working well. Granted Firefly never had enough time to get much of an arc going but it still has way more continuity than Doctor Who and Farscape really requires you to pay attention.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 19:46 
Administrator

Doctor Who it is then.

@Les - Well the reason I was angling for a later time is because there'll be less traffic on my IC at that time, which means the Livecast will be smoother and higher quality. There's also the fact that I get asked to do more and more things the earlier it is. I can trying pushing it an hour earlier to 9PM EST, but I doubt one hour would make much of a difference would it?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 23:03 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
(NB: I have been Ninja'd, but am positng anyway.)

I'm most interested in Doctor Who as well, largely because I know more of it than anything else listed, but have seen very few Episodes (perhaps two).

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 05:18 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Zeth wrote:
@Les - Well the reason I was angling for a later time is because there'll be less traffic on my IC at that time, which means the Livecast will be smoother and higher quality. There's also the fact that I get asked to do more and more things the earlier it is. I can trying pushing it an hour earlier to 9PM EST, but I doubt one hour would make much of a difference would it?
Certainly during school term time an hour earlier wouldn't make much difference. It'd still entail me going to bed around 3am by the time it had finished, which isn't really feasible when I have work the next day. I could probably manage it during the Christmas break but it probably isn't worth causing you more inconvenience for the sake of 1 or 2 episodes. I admit I'm very disappointed not to be able to join in with this, not just because of missing the shows, but because I really liked the idea of us all watching something together, but I do understand and accept your reasons for choosing the time you have.