All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: So. Cowboys and Aliens.
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2011, 22:54 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I know nothing about this movie aside from what I've seen in the trailers and also the fact that it sounds like a game my brother and I would have played circa age 7 (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

However, it does have Daniel Craig playing a quiet-but-badass amnesiac cowboy with a magic alien laser glove strapped onto his arm, so even if every other aspect of the movie sucks, this alone will make it worth going to see.

Anyone else?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2011, 22:59 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I like the Idea so far.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 08:47 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
I WILL SEE THIS MOVIE. It's been planned since the first preview we saw (HPDH Part 1, I think). Harrison Ford + Old West + Daniel Craig + Wrist Plasma Cannon Thingy = One Movie That Will Be Super-Fun to Watch. Plot can go into a corner and cry, because I don't think it's needed in this movie. It has other redeeming factors than a decent storyline (although, apart from the fact that it's called Cowboys & Aliens, I haven't seen anything in any of the trailers to suggest that the plot is bad. Not particularly stunning, necessarily, but not bad. Of course, if you go into a movie called Cowboys & Aliens looking for plot, there's probably something wrong with you).

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 12:36 
Veteran

Yeah, I'd say there probably is.

I get the impression that this is the kind of movie that will live or die by how seriously it takes itself.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 17:08 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
You've made me want to go and see this now. It could well be rubbish, but with that premise and that cast, it should be highly entertaining rubbish. :D

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011, 22:43 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
What part of "I write Driftspace" makes you think I would be anything other than in love with the concept?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 13:17 
Veteran

I did have an Inlking it might be so — I only hope the Execution of said Premise is good, even if it is "entertaining Rubbish".

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 13:43 
Veteran

Is there any particular reason why you're capitalizing random words now?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 15:07 
Veteran

Not random Words, just Nouns.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 16:07 
Veteran

Ah, okay. Carry on then.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 16:26 
Veteran

*salutes*

Right away!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 21:48 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
It's the germanic Thing to do.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 22:36 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
I've been capitalizing random words for a while.

But back to the actual topic of the conversation, I'm to understand that it is based off a comic book. Which means it can have a good plot, but that really depends on how it gets tanslated to the screen. Though I've not actually read the Comic, I imagine there would have to be something to it beyond plain old crazy awesome. Otherwise I'd have my Dracula Versus King Arthur movie. Which would admittedly be badass.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 22:41 
Administrator

Dracula vs Arthur was frikkin' ace.

But, huh—I didn't know it was based on a comic. Guess I should have read the wikipage. How old is this, exactly?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 20:00 
Veteran

Huh. I did see a bit about it being based off of something in the opening credits, so that would explain that. I'm pretty sure I saw the comic the other day, but I admit that my first thought was that they had made a comic out of the movie for some bizarre reason and I was pretty preoccupied so I didn't actually look at it. Not that it should be hard to find again, now.

Anyway, yeah, went to see it this afternoon. Review:

The first part is the best. That mostly involves Craig running around shooting people with his wrist-mounted laser cannon, and it is awesome. By the time they get to the second act it starts trying to put plot in there and, well, it's less that this movie has plot holes, more that it has occasional shreds of plot that actually makes sense surrounding one giant hole. At one point-unless I badly misheard-a character openly says that what's going on doesn't make a lick of sense, someone else acknowledges that it doesn't, and they move on. Well, I can't blame them for being honest, I guess.

We did, of course, previously agree that anyone going to this movie for plot must have something wrong with them, so I won't gripe on about it too much. My one real complaint is that-especially in that diabolical second half-things seem to just...happen. You can almost hear the writers saying, "Hmm, I don't know how to end off this scene, let's have them all get attacked." And all of these random things kind of happen on top of one another. There's more than one dramatic moment in there that was ruined by the feeling that they were just ticking it off a list.

But aside from that...it made good on the explosions. Lots of explosions, lots of fighting. There's potential for a fair bit of angst in there, but it's never really expounded upon. Which is good. Can you imagine Daniel Craig doing the angst thing? Because I can't.

There were a few things that bugged me, I admit. You should probably not read this if you don't want spoilers and/or random griping about things the filmmakers likely never intended for people to think about:

Spoiler: click to toggle

*ahem* Yes, well...I digress. I got what I came for. It's all good.

Further comments:

Daniel Craig's first reaction to any problem is to punch it in the face.

Daniel Craig also doesn't show any emotion until at least halfway into the movie. Also, ever notice how tiny his pupils are? I think he's an alien.

Did anyone ever take care of Percy's wrist?

Is the knowledge that there is other sapient life in the universe not going to ever bother the rest of the cowboys at all, throughout their lives? I'd be a little disquieted, myself.

Does that dog belong to anyone? Or is it just a random gypsy desert dog? After all, why would a bunch of guys out scalping Indians take a border collie with them?

Nobody eats in this movie. Aside from one apple, they apparently didn't take any rations with them.

Out of all the guys with guns in this, it's only the one who can't even hold one right that figures out the boom!headshot rule, and it took him the whole movie.

I don't know if that clothing is period accurate, but I really want to draw it all the same. All of it.

I was kind of disappointed by the way the movie ended, because

What was up with that hummingbird anyway?

Wow the foley artists had a fun time with this film.

So, uh...did I miss something or how did that ship wind up out there?

Anyway. I digress. Go see the movie.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 17:22 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ok, rather a long time after this thread was started, I finally saw the movie.

I thought it was great fun, but it's certainly not a good idea to try to take it too seriously. My interpretation is that that they deliberately set out to include every Western- or alien-related cliché imaginable. I don't suppose anyone who hasn't already seen it is planning to do so now, but I'll put my comments in spoiler tags, just in case.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 12:37 
Veteran

See, I was kind of thinking the hummingbird was something like that, but then that kind of throws a wrench into it all because we abruptly have working spirit guides in an otherwise completely science fiction-western that makes no other mention of spiritual or supernatural happenings. And it's never really brought up anywhere else.

Although I do find it rather amusing that the spirit guide of the shoot-first-ask-questions-later don't-you-look-at-me-like-that badass outlaw is a hummingbird.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 16:28 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I think we can just add that little query to the other list of inconsistencies. :P

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 04:04 

Medals: 4
Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
Sorry to drag up such an old thread (but it is on the first page so I hope it doesn't matter too much :P)
I saw Cowboys and Aliens a good while ago now so I can't remember all the details, but I did enjoy it when I saw it as - like dino said - I didn't take it too seriously. It was Harrison Ford being Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig being Daniel Craig. I was really pleased to see David Carradine as the sheriff, I'm a big fan of his and I've seen him in other westerns including Kung Fu (in which Neil Carradine played the lead, and David played his adolescent self) and Deadwood, which was pretty good as well. I like a good western and while I don't know if I'd describe Cowboys and Aliens as "a good western" it had enough tropes to keep me entertained without going TOO over the top for a movie about, well, Cowboys and Aliens...