All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 19:48 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I knew the date, but didn't know the time. Looks like an early dinner is in order. I've missed the beginnings of several episodes in the past due to being in the kitchen.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 10:50 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
IIRC, across the pond BBC America is making us wait until 22:00 April 17, 2010 to see the Eleventh Hour.

EDIT:
Strike that: It's at 20:00!

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 08:41 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
Why doesn't Syfy air Doctor Who?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 16:08 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
You don't get BBC America?
Btw, all the cool people still call it the Sci Fi Channel.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 17:30 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
No, we don't. Wish we did, though.

I wanted to be politically correct, because it's called Syfy now. Personally, I still think Sci-Fi is cooler.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Well the first Matt Smith episode aired in the UK last night. Now I have to wait for the rest of you to see it so I can discuss it.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 11:28 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
We don't get BBC America either, alas.

Fortunately, we do have YouTube.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 16:10 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
I saw the first episode on the interwebz, and it was very, very promising. Matt Smith will make a great Doctor, and Karen Gillian's not half bad either.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2010, 23:12 
Administrator

Mage clued me in to the superfast uploading abilities Britons seem to have, so I figure I'll watch it sometime today.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 17:05 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
It's really, really good. I liked it. A lot. And am very excited for the rest of the season.

Although it's a shift from a passive Doctor to a more action-hero Doctor. You'll see when you get there, and as much as I think it'll still be good, I'm not sure how it'll affect the show.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 17:16 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I was actually very happy with how Matt Smith portrayed the Doctor. I liked Amy too. I didn't feel the episode itself was one of the best they'd done, but it wasn't bad. I had a couple of minor issues with it, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 20:55 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Yeah. I think I would have preferred it without some of the cheesier lines,
Spoiler: click to toggle
but this episode was partly about his rediscovering himself. David Tennant made such an epic Doctor, and was so well founded in this world that, when he changed, he had to completely start over.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 16:52 
Veteran

*threadbump*

So, now we've had four more episodes of our newest Doctor. What do we all think of him now that he's had a good work out? And of the episodes themselves? (I certainly know what Zeth thinks.)

Me, personally....

....I like him.

By the way: I told you the gun was trailer bait! I told you! I told you!

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 17:25 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
The part in The Time of Angels where the screen became the angel was really creepy.

And next up is vampires! Now Doctor Who has vampires and werewolves! This might very possibly bode ill for the legitimacy of all Doctor Who creatures ever! Look out for romance, everybody!

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 19:01 
Veteran

I doubt it. We've already seen a werewolf and a (different kind of) vampire in New Who, and neither of them were going around snogging teenage girls, so we're probably good.

Then again, this is Steven Moffat.

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 19:39 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I don't think the Doctor is going to take on any companions named Bella soon.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 23:00 

Teenage Mage wrote:
By the way: I told you the gun was trailer bait! I told you! I told you!
When I was reading through this thread and saw the gun mentioned I knew what it was going to be. ;D Loved it because when I saw it I was like "What is he doing with a gun?!"

I haven't watched every episode of Doctor Who but I've seen a majority. I stopped watching for a long time because I lost interest/was busy but when the new season was mentioned on BBC America I decided I'd check it out again. (I always loved the Doctor even if I didn't watch it all the time.) At first I had my doubts about Matt Smith but he got my approval in the end because he just really amused me with how he played the Doctor. And I enjoy watching Karen Gillan as Amy too.

Weeping Angels are scary. Especially when that one came out of the video loop in The Time of Angels. When it started moving I started getting chills and then it decided to come out of the screen.

"That which holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel." The whole time I was watching The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone I really don't know if I blinked.

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 23:30 
Veteran

Weeping Angels are pretty scary*. Strangely, though, I've never been really freaked out by them while watching. More just impressed. Moffat knows his stuff.

I was only disappointed by a couple of things in the latest episodes. One was that we actually got to see the Weeping Angels moving. Blink had the wonderful implication that we counted as one of the observers preventing the angels from moving (there are scenes in Blink which don't actually work otherwise) and I really liked that little spooky hint. Also the idea that seemed to be fairly clearly stated in this episode that all Weeping Angels look alike kind of...softens the paranoia of Blink's last-minute stinger, if you ask me. Alright, I guess that's three things. Three, I was really hoping this time someone would address what happens if you go after a Weeping Angel with a sledgehammer (or a jackhammer) while they're in stone form. But they didn't. Oh well. Other than that, I was quite impressed.

I think what was the most worrisome thing (for me, anyway) in these two episodes was the bit where Amy is lost all alone in the forest with no one around, Weeping Angels everywhere, and she can't even open her eyes. If it was me there, I'd have grabbed that last cleric by the arms and refuse to let go come hell or high water.

Still. Cybernetic trees? Awesome.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:12 

I felt bad for Amy having to walk like she could see and almost bumping into two of those angels. When she fell down I figured the Doctor would do something to get her before the angels did but I was kind of disappointed to see the angels actually moving while we could see them.

The Cybernetic trees were really cool.

Was anyone else amused by Amy's actions at the end of Flesh and Stone?

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:37 
Veteran

I was more disturbed than amused, but...that's me. (Yeah, I actually am the kind of person who can sit through those two episodes without being bothered at all and then get completely squicked out by those last five minutes.) Geez, Amy.

Okay, I can't be the only person here who thought that the bits about River Song being imprisoned for murder and that the victim was "the best man I ever knew" meant that River Song will be responsible for the death of either Eleven or a future incarnation....can I?

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 13:27 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I do agree with those criticisms, though they weren't enough to spoil the episode for me. Like other people have said here, I found the angel in the video to be the creepiest thing of all, far more so than Amy having to make her way through the forest with her eyes closed (though Mage, you've responded to that exactly how Steven Moffat intended. He said he was trying to think of the worst possible scenario for Amy, and he thought, What's the worst thing that could happen to her in a forest full of weeping angels? Having to keep her eyes closed. He wanted it to be really tense, and he figured that would be even worse than actually being blind, since she would have to make a conscious effort to keep them closed, despite the presence of the angels.)

As for the apparent heavy hints, everything suggests that River Song is eventually going to kill the Doctor, but it bothers me a bit that those hints seem to be quite so obvious. You'd think he'd want to keep a bombshell like that under wraps. My guess is that there will be some twist involved somewhere and it won't just be a case of her murdering him. Or that he's just teasing us and deliberately misleading us.

And to answer the opening question, I am very satisfied with Matt Smith's portrayal of the doctor. The opening episodes were rather disappointing, but I had no complaints about the Doctor himself. And I think Moffat has redeemed himself with this latest weeping angles story. Let's hope he can keep it up with next week's vampires.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 16:07 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
I was disappointed when the Angels moved while in statue form. I mean, what? They can't do that!

And yes, River Song will definitely kill the Doctor at some point. I'm glad they decided to reinstate her from Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. She's become sort of like a Series 5 Jack Harkness.

I'm sure Moffat will do just fine with the vampires. I have full faith in him. At least they look like cool vampires.

The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 12:13 
Administrator

So yeah, Vampires were decent. Nothing close to the Angels, but decent.

What I'd like to ask is what everyone thought of the end of Amy's Choice. Personally I was really really hoping for hints at a reintroduction of the Valeyard, and was utterly disappointed in...seeds. :/
I also must say this episode reminded me a great deal of Donna's experience when saved in Silence in the Library. (Further evidence for my "Amy is a recycled, albeit cooler, Donna. Muahahaha. :zeth: )

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 10:22 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I thought the seeds were a bit of an anticlimax. It was almost as if the writer had reached the end of the story, suddenly realised he hadn't got an explanation, and added them in as an afterthought. Making use of the Valeyard would have been far more interesting.

I didn't make any connection with this episode and "Silence in the Library" at all while I was watching it, but now that you mention it, there certainly is a similarity. I don't suppose it was deliberate though, especially as the two episodes were written by different people.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 12:00 
Veteran

I dunno...did you see at the very end how he glances towards the console and sees the reflection of the Dream Lord instead of him? Seems like they were giving us a little hook there. And keep in mind that although it did all turn out to be due to weird space pollen, the Doctor did say that the Dream Lord was an aspect of him, IIRC-maybe not an actually manifested aspect, but apparently there is still a part of the Doctor that wants to play sadistic games with people (and, it seems, hates his own dress sense). Perhaps they're building towards something there? I mean, I really don't think they could have stuck such an important villain as the Valeyard in a mid-season episode out of the blue anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next