All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 15:14 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
(Split from the Dragonball thread)

InuGirlTeen wrote:
In other news, anyone know anything about the live action Cowboy Bebop they're making? Keanu Reeves is totally playing Spike. -squee-

I can't find any more recent news than the confirmation from Sunrise studios that it's happening, and that was back in January. I think I can just about visualise him in the role, but I'll reserve judgment until it actually happens. Live action versions of anime and games can so often be dire, but at least Cowboy Bebop is something with relatively realistic people and no high fantasy, so it could lend itself to live action better than some other anime series.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 16:23 
Veteran

Is this being made by Fox, too? If so, someone needs to end this streak they're starting. They're taking really good animes and making them into crappy live action movies. Next thing you know we'll have a Naruto live action. I'll have to kill myself.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2009, 21:55 

They couldn't have cast a worse Spike than Keanu Reeves. XD That stone (and stoner) faced man.

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 02:41 

I actually think Keanu Reeves would make a pretty good Spike. I just watched the series again recently [watched the movie yesterday] and he fits the profile pretty nicely. Also, the guy directing it is the same guy who directed the Matrix, so I think the sci-fi aspect of the film will be pretty detailed and very well constructed.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 08:58 

He might look like a Spike (though I can't see it personally)... but he can't act like a Spike. With his face constantly frozen in one and the same expression. You know something is horribly wrong when your CGI stunt double is more expressive then yourself. (As was the case for him in The Matrix Reloaded)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 09:04 
I don't have anything against Keanu, I actually think he's a great actor. But I'm not sure I can see him as Spike. BUT they could do worse so I'm not gonna complain. I agree that a live action Cowboy Bebop movie will probably work better then say Dragonball. That doesn't mean I think it's a good idea. I'll probably check it out when it comes out though, just to see what kind of job they did on it. I like Cowboy Bebop so I really hope they don't screw it up horribly.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 09:20 

It's Hollywood, of course they will butcher it with no respect at all for the source material. It's been the same with every other asian IP that they translated into a Hollywood film.

Some things simply do not work in live action, 95% of the manga, anime and video games out there fall in that category. Now if only they'd pick up on that over in yon America.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2009, 11:30 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
The producer did say that he wants to try to remain true to the original, and they've got 4 members of the original Japanese team involved, so hopefully they'll have a little more respect for the source material than many American adaptations do, and apparently Keanu Reeves has worked with Watanabe, so those are two possible plus points. But I am not generally in favour of Americans doing anything with a Japanese anime franchise. As Pedro said, in general, anime doesn't lend itself to live action, but if it does occur, I'd prefer it to be a Japanese production than an American one, because that would be more likely to maintain the cultural integrity. Having said that, as I said before, I think Cowboy Bebop might be one of the few animes that could cope with both live action and an American production team. It's sci-fi rather than fantasy; the characters are relatively realistic; and the setting and storyline are not rooted in Japanese culture.

Still, I'll just wait and see. I'm sure I'd go to see it, whether it was any good or not, just out of curiosity. But I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2009, 00:10 

IMO if any series has a good chance to come out well in live action over here in the states it's Cowboy Bebop. To date, the only anime I've seen come out well in live action is when they did a live action GTO series in Japan.

Cowboy Bebop has a lot of western influence in it in the anime, the bluesy soundtrack, bounty hunters with a western feel in a futuristic setting, and the syndicate that Spike was involved in can be easily worked with by western movie makers as Hollywood has already made plenty of movies with underground organizations like that.

I'm hoping they won't frak it up, but Hollywood has a tendency to do that rather consistently so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 01:16 

Medals: 1
Arcade Monarch (1)
First I would like to say that almost no animation is impossible to make into a live action. If they could make realistic velociraptors in the early 90s, and we can make Magneto's ability look how it should if it were possible then the only hurdles should be casting actors that look the part and can act it too.

Keanu kinda has the facial profile. Just kinda though, and he doesn't have the hair, the smirk, or the voice, and definitely not the range to play Spike fucking Spiegel. They may be thinking he can still do some choreography like from the Matrix, and that will sell some tickets like it did for the kung fu centered sequels, (seriously, a super hacker learns he's in a BIIIIG computer program that does what he wants when he wants, and he kung fu fights his way through the two sequels, what the fuck?) but this isn't some new story that they can just hash up what they want for, and make into another shitty action flick loosely based on the source material. Fuck that

Spike is one of the most charismatic manga and anime characters around. How the fuck is Keanu Reeves supposed to act charismatic without being a cliche 90's stoner?

And I also want to know if they intend to change the role that music plays in the story.

If they completely fuck this up like Dragonball then I don't know if I want to here about any more live action translations ever again.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but if these corporate fucks want to actually please the fans, they need to have Frank Miller do some anime screenplays. He respects source material down to matching each scene with iconic frames and cover art, and with things like Bebop he'd make it as dark as it needs to be.

Post subject: hello everybody
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 18:53 
Can post pictures of your wigs here. They can be lace wigs, lace front wigs, synthetic wigs or custom lace wigs. Show us what your working with.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 01:34 

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/439344/keanu-talks-cowboy-bebop.jhtml

Short interview with Keanu regarding the Cowboy Bebop movie. It's been delayed and this explains why. The writer apparently did such an "AMAZING" job writing out the script and plot, that it would cost a half a billion $$$$ to make the film. Haha. So they are rewriting it to be... cheaper. I already have so much more hope for this than I ever did the Dragon Ball movie.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 11:55 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Keanu Reeves? Seriously? Ugh. He's been useless in every movie I've seen him in, except maybe The Replacements.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 15:11 

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (1) Crazytown Bananapants (3)
HA!!!!!!! Spike!!!! This makes my butthole itch! wonder who the hell is going to play Ed?

-=-=Cassius is better at bending reality than I am.=-=-
-=-=And has a bigger penis than Cata, but clearly, not Piggie.=-=-
" If we weren\'t meant to eat meat, The why is Pork so fucking delicious?"

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 19:34 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I'll reserve judgement on Keanu Reeves until I see what he makes of it. He's got the right look for Spike, but I'm far from certain about his acting for such a part. But actually, what bothers me far more is:
Lady Brooke wrote:
So they are rewriting it to be... cheaper.

When I initially read about this movie they were making much of the fact that the writer/director (can't remember who it was exactly now) would be trying to respect the original. It sounds like that's happened, but now they're gonna dumb it down because it costs too much.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 23:28 

I really think Keanu will play the part well.

And I don't think they will destroy the good qualities of the film by reducing the cost. If the writer has put as much effort and care into respecting the original series as I have read, then I am pretty confident that even in reducing the cost of the film, he will still hold this same idea and the movie will still be good. I am not worried.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 13:48 

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (1) Crazytown Bananapants (3)
I got only 5 words. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Want five more? Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

-=-=Cassius is better at bending reality than I am.=-=-
-=-=And has a bigger penis than Cata, but clearly, not Piggie.=-=-
" If we weren\'t meant to eat meat, The why is Pork so fucking delicious?"

Post subject: Cowboy Bebop
PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 22:11 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Through the mighty powers inherent to being a level 21 Forum Administrator, I hereby cast the spell of True Resurrection upon this thread. *crumbles diamond dust over the thread*

So I finally finished all Cowboy Bebop, hence my motivation; Knockin' On Heaven's Door included. Wanted to open discussion amongst the new crowd of peeps over how amazing the franchise is.

By the way, checked in on the live action film deal. According to Wikipedia it is "languishing in development hell"[sic]. I would like to say, however, that Reeves stated that if it's still happening it likely isn't happening with him in it. That said, I fall firmly into the "Reeves would ruin the character" camp, and I'm super relieved to hear that he's not likely to be involved anymore.

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 02:34 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Even though it's years since I watched it, Cowboy Bebop is still one of my favourite anime franchises. One of the things that particularly appealed to me about it is the way that it starts off totally light-hearted, and continues to have a great deal of humour almost all the way through, but the overall story arc gets gradually darker as it progresses.

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 22:46 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
It really is masterful storytelling. Even if you hate the genre, you'd be extremely hardpressed to deny it. The only times I found it getting a bit obtuse were the Spike backstory episodes before the finale. They were annoyingly obscure and cryptic for no real good reason.

I wish they had done more with Jet. Jet's awesome.

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 10:30 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star were both "Adult Swim staples" of mine growing up. I keep meaning to rewatch them, but alas, time.

You know, there have been a lot of live action/stage show announcements for anime and video games lately. I know Lupin III just got one, Danganronpa is getting one in the fall, K and Death Note had announcements in the past couple months... I wouldn't be surprised if we heard more about Cowboy Bebop in the coming months.

PostPosted: 10 May 2014, 22:49 
Administrator

I'd like to think so. I just hope they have a lot of the original developers involved. I would be devastated to see Bebop get a crappy big screen d├ębut. Kinda curious as to how exactly it would be handled. Knockin' on Heaven's Door managed to leave me a little befuddled even, since it was never clearly established when exactly it was happening. There was no indication if this was supposed to be occurring sometime in the middle of the run of the original show (which is what I ended up assuming was the case, because it made the most sense to me personally) or if
Spoiler: show
the cast reunited after the series finale. Which utterly broke my heart, I have to say. But in a good way. Sort of. I don't know. Too many feels I'm not accustomed to dealing with. There was that TV spot with the Live Bounty show that went off air near the end of the broadcast show, and I think that's what convinced me this was supposed to be happening before the split up and end of the show. There was also reference to Julia as though she wasn't dead, which further strengthened the case. Still, I think I could see both explained away.
And that's me, someone familiar with the franchise. I'm not certain Knockin on Heaven's Door would actually be enjoyable to someone who hadn't seen the rest of the anime. There's too much 'stuff' one wouldn't get.

So a film couldn't just throw the audience into the middle of Bebop. But I recall Bebop's introductory episodes being a bit dull, like many series suffer through. And it's not like they can reintroduce all the characters to each other as if they'd never met before, since that would totally kill the thing for people who DO know and love the franchise already (which they would need if they want a box office success I'd say). And they can't re-do several of the episodes in a live action format since the confluence and development of the characters and relationships were very widespread. It's basically what the show was all about, which is why it was so good. A film like that would be great for sure--best even--but to work for Bebop it would have to be Suuuuuuuch a Loooooooong film.

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 04:24 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
When I saw Knockin' on Heaven's Door I also thought it must be really difficult to follow for anyone who wasn't familiar with the franchise. And I always assumed it had to be set somewhere in the middle of the series. Wouldn't make sense after the end or before the start, although, even though I can't now remember the details of it (or even the story, I have to confess, because it wasn't a part of the overall story arc of the series and so didn't leave me with any handles to link it in with the rest in my memory), I have vague recollections of thinking there were some details that didn't seem to quite fit.

Regarding the live-action version, while the most satisfactory arrangement for fans would be to make it a new standalone story, set somewhere in the middle, so that it didn't risk damaging any existing canon, my suspicion is that they'd likely do something like with the X-Men and start from at or near the beginning, creating an alternative canon so as to introduce new viewers to the characters without simply repeating the story that existing fans already know. Though I also sincerely hope that's not what would happen: it can create an interesting movie but it totally messes up everything, leaving no-one knowing what the real canon is any more.

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 10:22 
Root Administrator

Well if they reenact the show, I don't think that it would go over badly to have everyone just meet. That's what they did with Persona, Ace Attorney, etc. and it worked out well. I think fans of the series would be just as excited either way, so long as the actual acting and everything else are good. It would be good if that could set up other stuff, canon or no, but in all honesty if they're going to want to appeal to the broadest base (as that would make them the most money) they would probably be better off starting from the beginning or very near to it. In order to appeal to existing fans, they would probably be able to put in Easter Eggs like what Pokemon Origins (yeah it's an anime but still) did.