All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 06:03 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Agreed with that assessment. (I had a feeling we might see some reaction from you when Crystal placed Iron Man 2 last. XD) Maybe it's simply because Captain America has never grabbed me as a character in the first place, even in the comics, but Captain America didn't leave any kind of lasting impression with me; I can't even remember what the story was about now. Both Captain America and The Hulk were films I enjoyed well enough when I saw them but have never had any desire to see again, but I've seen both Iron Mans twice and would happily see them again, and I very much enjoyed Thor (and thought they made a good job of casting him).

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 13:13 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
dinowoman wrote:
(and thought they made a good job of casting him).

/every woman I know

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 13:54 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
/shrug

I don't know what to tell you. I never said Captain America was a great movie, only that I enjoyed it more than Iron Man 2. Iron Man is my absolute favorite Marvel comic book character and has been since before the movies, but I just didn't enjoy Iron Man 2 as much as Captain America. In fact, when I went to watch it the second time, I couldn't even remember having seen it, despite the fact I know I've seen it at least twice. Captain America I didn't remember much of either, but I definitely remembered more than I did for Iron Man 2. I have never found the Cap to be particularly interesting (same with Superman on the DC side), but that has nothing to do with the movie. My love for the character has absolutely nothing to do with whether I enjoyed the movie.

I think part of it is that Red Skull is an infinitely more interesting a villain than Ivan Vanko was, despite the whole, "I'M 100% EVIL AND I WANT POWER AND I LOVE MYTHOLOGY MAN," vibe. And while I get, "I feel like your father stole my research and ruined his life," is enough to be pissed, I don't know that it's believable enough that he would create his own suit of armor, make his way to France or wherever, and then go to America to hunt him down, try to ruin his name, and try to kill him AND Rhodey, who didn't do a damn thing to him. Just... not interesting. Yay drone warfare references. Color me unimpressed. (I do like this Rhodey better than the one from the first movie though. That's probably not a popular opinion either.)

If the third Iron Man isn't good though (I expect it to be), I will eat my hat. One of them, anyway.

---

Anyway, I also watched The Amazing Spiderman last night, and while I think the movie was better than some of the Toby McGuire movies, I cared about Toby McGuire's Spiderman a lot more than I cared about Andrew Garfield's Spiderman. And the origin story there was a bit weird; like Mark said last night, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with having Peter Parker breaking and entering. I did like Emma Stone better than Kirsten Dunst though.

I also saw The Woman in Black, which is that horror film with Daniel Radcliffe in it. I was very impressed with Radcliffe's performance. He really does harrowed well and he looks a lot older and more mature now that he's not in Harry Potter. I don't normally like horror movies because they rely too much on startling people and shock value and I find that to be incredibly boring, but this wasn't too bad. There were several times where I was like, "Nope. I would have nope'd the fuck out of here," because the setting was actually pretty creepy. And the ending made me go, "Really? Oh wait... no yeah I was right. Damn." So that's not bad either. Apparently whatever company helped with the movie is incredibly bad, so Mark was surprised it was a decent movie.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 22:28 

I prepared my PS3 for ludicrous speed and watched Spaceballs a few nights ago. God damn I love that movie.

Since Wreck-It Ralph comes out Tuesday I might finally see it...at least, I can only hope I'll get to watch it. If not I'll just buy the damn DVD and get it over with.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 23:34 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Oooooh my god I haven't watched Spaceballs in soooo long.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 15:21 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I can't even remember the last time I saw Spaceballs. Ten years ago? Maybe more.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 15:47 
Administrator

Quick, somebody find a place we can stream it and all watch at the same time.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 15:54 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
That would be so awesome. XD

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 23:25 

I watched The Naked Gun and Blazing Saddles today. They're both hilarious, but you don't need me to tell you that. ^_^

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 13:03 
Administrator

"A black sheriff?!"
"Hey! ...it worked in Blazing Saddles."

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 23:23 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
So, yesterday, I did what I do every year at about this time and watched Waterloo again.

It's your classic 60s/70s war epic, characterized by armies of extras, an attempt to focus on both sides of the battle and an eye for historical detail which panders more to mil-hist nerds than the sort of people who watch Michael Bay movies.

Needless to say, it's a movie I quite like, and I often wonder why people (who aren't Russians) don't make more of them, now that we have CGI and can practically do it on an HBO miniseries budget. (See: Game of Thrones)

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 07:11 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
Finally got around to seeing Wreck it Ralph. From a writer's perspective, I was conflicted on many levels - the plot was recycled and predictable, but somehow those hackneyed stereotypes and overused plot twists still hit as hard as the first time I experienced them. Perhaps because the subject matter was so close to my heart, or because they had specifically engineered it like some great orbital weapon pointed directy at my demographic, I enjoyed nearly every moment - the exception being the Death/Rebirth/Great Ordeal where I was practically screaming 'DON'T DO IT RALPH' at the screen. The performances were fairly strong (I especially liked Sarah Silverman for some reason), the visuals and the sound design left nothing to be asked for, but in the end I still walked away feeling like it wasn't as good a film as I wanted to believe it was.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 13:23 
Administrator

I really need to get around to seeing that. Everybody has, it seems like. And it does definitely seem like something that would appeal to me. I mean on the one hand I've always been obsessed with irrational crossovers. On the other hand, I grew up a member of the Tomb Raider Generation, and fall heavily into the Mass Effect culture (which I swear by [insert deity of choice here] I will one day play), and I like Jane Lynch, so Calhoun. Yes that was the end of the sentence.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 14:10 
Root Administrator

Wreck it Ralph was great. I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece but it was extremely enjoyable.

I could stream either that movie or Spaceballs sometime! Or both! (Actually Google Hangouts would be perfect for it.)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 17:41 
Administrator

Belle wrote:
Or both! (Actually Google Hangouts would be perfect for it.)
Yes please!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 17:58 
Root Administrator

Pick a day and time, and I'll see what I can do.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 18:58 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I hadn't realised you could use Google Hangouts to stream things. That would be fun.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2013, 21:21 
Root Administrator

Well technically I don't think that's what you're supposed to do, but you can share your screen and then people can focus on your screen, so I'm going to assume it's possible. It also allows all of us to talk/laugh/etc.

Usually Mark and I use Skype but unless the person sharing has a paid account it's impossible to do with more than two people in the call.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 14:04 
Administrator

Date and time is the sticky wicket isn't it...

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 15:27 

Absentee (1)
I thought Looper was excellent. The ending could have been resolved differently but it played out the way it did and that's fine too. Not much diversity in the casting but the roster was pretty small so idk. 4.5/5 or thereabouts.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 15:19 

I watched Star Trek yesterday. The 2009 one or whenever it came out. I had no idea what was even going on half the time, so it's hard to say what I thought about it. >_>

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 21:57 
Administrator

I'll tell you what wasn't going on: Space Politics.
*sad*

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 00:11 

Absentee (1)
*obvious lens flare joke*

We watched the first pokemon movie again. I almost didn't cry.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 09:58 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Medusa wrote:
Wreck it Ralph was great. I didn't expect it to be a masterpiece but it was extremely enjoyable.

I could stream either that movie or Spaceballs sometime! Or both! (Actually Google Hangouts would be perfect for it.)

Why have we not done this yet?

Oh, I saw Blues Brothers again the other night. It still remains one of the best movies ever made.

Is it too late for me to weigh in on the Avengers casting?

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 10:05 
Administrator

Time, I'm guessing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next