All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 02:24 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I actually still haven't seen Iron Man 3. No money. RDJ did renew his contract though; I'm hoping the pay raises he was fighting for for his fellow cast members went through.

I did buy ($5) and rewatch Litlle Miss Sunshine a few weeks ago though. Still love that movie. It makes me sad Steve Carrell was typecasted into the roles he was for a while (still kinda is) because he's actually a really good actor, but that talent isn't used nearly as much in his more lowbrow humor roles.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 18:45 
Veteran

World War Z - 3/5

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 20:31 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I somehow managed to get a book on the making of Yellow Submarine and a set of Sgt. Pepper K'Nex figures from that movie on the same day, so now I really want to watch it again. Unfortunately the only copy we have is on videotape and I'm afraid to stick it in our venerable VCR lest it get eaten, like our ancient copy of Duck Soup did. What to do, what to do.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 03:06 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
We watched Mass Effect: Paragon Lost and to my surprise it won me over. Most of the characters were portrayed well and the big 'best possible decision' plot was given its due justice. I fully expected them to cop out on the ending but in the end their hands were tied by established canon and they were forced to stick to their guns, so we ended up with a visceral, very personal conflict at the climax with genuine impact.

We followed it with Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker which is like an example of the worst way to handle Bioware IP. I'd seen it before but over time I had forgotten how fucking awful it was. The dialogue felt like it was written by a producer, or translated literally from dialogue written by a japanese producer. The plot was predictable and shallow. The character development was pretty much nonexistent, or rather, was completely ignored after it had been established. The choreography was cringe-worthy, from the biggest showdown to the smallest head gestures. And the aesthetics were probably the worst part of all, with everyone sharing the same identical, hollow-eyed anime face and the same limited range of expression. It's possible Paragon Lost wasn't actually that good and this movie had just clouded my judgement.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 10:15 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I thought Paragon Lost was okay, and it certainly made me care about Vega more... but that's about it. I found myself zoning a couple of times and the Krogan looked odd, but that may have just been me. I wasn't really emotionally swept away like I was hoping to be, with the exception of Vega's relationship with the little girl and the consequences of his decision in regards to that. I haven't played Mass Effect since seeing it but I do think it'll inform my decisions a little more.

And yeah, I've heard the Dragon Age movie was pretty bad.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 11:12 

Absentee (1)
Medusa wrote:
I wasn't really emotionally swept away like I was hoping to be, with the exception of Vega's relationship with the little girl

Oh man this so much. One of the best portrayals of a child character I've seen in years she was so great

"What are you, his little sister?"
"Ew, gross! We're married!"

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 13:23 
Root Administrator

Yeah, that was really well done. I got attached to her pretty quick.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 04:56 

Just watched Terminator 2. It was good, but for some reason I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. Not really sure why.

Next up is T3 and Salvation.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 00:13 

Absentee (1)
Yeah I felt the same way. There wasn't really anything that particularly bothered me about the second one (my roommates hate John's actor with a passion), but the first one was just so amazing that comparing them seems unfair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13