All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Webcomics
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2013, 18:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
We didn't have an outstanding thread for discussing webcomics, so I figured I'd make one. I'm always happy to add more to my list and, after all, they're the one thing that everyone who has an internet connection can follow and discuss. It seemed to fit here as well as anywhere.

Myself, I'm currently following:

Archipelago A fantasy comic with a fairly standard plot setup (heroes race against villains to locate a number of living McGuffins to prevent the return of an ancient sealed-away evil) but with a lot of interesting worldbuilding to back it up. The art is not real great when it starts off, but it improves immensely over the course of the story. So does the prose, to an extent.

Awkward Zombie Weekly gaming comic with a lot of ham. It has a pretty wide scope but Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Super Smash Brothers and WoW are common themes.

Brawl in the Family G-rated gaming comic that focuses almost entirely on Nintendo. Lots of Kirby. And musical numbers.

Bug Gag-a-day strip that milks several jokes per strip out of the author's bizarre trains of thought.

Darths and Droids Star Wars re-imagined as a tabletop roleplaying game that goes off the rails about five minutes in. The movies actually make a great deal more sense when presented this way.

Edmund Finney's Quest to Find the Meaning of Life A really strange comic that follows the titular character as he roams the world and encounters a wide variety of bizarre people and situations. Updates erratically.

Faux Pas Newspaper-format comic about the lives of several farm animals and two red foxes that live with them. It's pretty sweet and idealistic, but I read the entire archive once when I was feeling depressed and it made me fond of it.

The Order of the Stick The stick-figure gaming comic that spawned hundreds of similar stick-figure gaming comics. Starts off as a simple dungeon-crawl built around jokes about game mechanics and then evolves a plot that deconstructs the entire idea of DND itself.

Girl Genius In a very, very alternate universe ruled by Science!, the lost heir to the House of Heterodyne fights to rebuild her family's power while fighting off the machinations of the mysterious and malevolent Other and decidedly non-villainous despot Klaus Wulfenbach. Beautiful art.

Gunnerkrigg Court Science-fantasy in which very different girls work to unravel the secrets of the mysterious school they are attending, with just about every kind of mythology there is crammed in there somewhere. Also, robots. Notable for having quite possibly the most hilariously laconic creator on the web.

Hark! A Vagrant Predominately historical comic that occasionally delves into other topics, such as literature and Canada

Lackadaisy A comic about the struggles of the operators of the dying Lackadaisy speakeasy during the prohibition...and all the characters are cats. It updates at an extremely staggered pace (at this point there's about as much supplementary material about the comic as there is the comic itself), but that's okay because the art is gorgeous and everything (except the cats) is extremely well researched and accurate.

Namesake I've...actually kind of forgotten what the larger plot of this one is, but it mostly involves people who are 'Namesakes' and can travel to various fictional worlds to live out the roles of the protagonists. Just finished a long arc set in Oz.

Penny Arcade ...Penny Arcade.

PS238 Technically not a webcomic but a print comic being published online (the online archives are still very far behind the published comic though), about PS238, the first public school for superpowered children.

Skin Horse An extremely underfunded government department dedicated to incorporating non-humans into human life (consisting of a talking dog, a homicidal zombie-like construct, a crossdressing psychologist and a helicopter with the brain of a foul-mouthed gamer) try to fulfill their job despite themselves. Site seems to be down at the moment.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja Exactly what it says on the tin. The eponymous doctor/ninja and his mustachioed 12-year-old sidekick have increasingly improbable adventures in a world that apparently runs on the rules of a Mortal Kombat stage.

The Meek A fantasy comic about...uh...something. It's not gotten very far and keeps switching between characters so it's kind of hard to tell, but the art is good.

Three Panel Soul A gag-a-day strip about whatever random thing the author comes up with, three panels at a time. Updates erratically.

Unsounded The outspoken young heir to a criminal empire drags a sarcastic, magic-working zombie with self-control issues across the continent on a mission that rapidly goes very wrong.

XKCD Natch.

Post subject: Re: Webcomics
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 09:48 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
It's long finished, but I always liked A Miracle of Science.
TV Tropes wrote:
He's a no-nonsense detective trained to track down Mad Scientists; she's a perky Martian psychologist linked to a planet-sized collective intelligence. They Fight Crime!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 16:52 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
Some comments on the ones I'm familiar with.

The Time Being wrote:
Awkward Zombie I followed Katie over from her DeviantArt account. Big fan of her outrageous, expressive style, and with the extra gags from her friends and fans the content has never been fresher :>

Brawl in the Family I never really thought it was that funny (Waluigi strips notwithstanding |D), but the adorable art and layout was very endearing. I stopped following it a couple of years back, it's nice to see it's still alive.

Darths and Droids Another one I lost track of. I think it was the density of the strips that put me off - they were always very text-heavy, even if hilarious. I keep forgetting to look into their LOTR-based strip...

The Order of the Stick One of the few plot-driven comics I still regularly check on, due mostly to the cleverness of the writing but also to its memorable characters :3

Gunnerkrigg Court I have this one bookmarked, and I keep seeing bits of it on Tumblr... maybe I should finally get to it?

Hark! A Vagrant My favourite comic on this list, easily. Kate Beaton is a personal hero of mine and even the sketchy little biographical strips she posts on her blog leave me grinning every time. Incredibly talented and absolutely hilarious, A++++ would stalk again.

Penny Arcade Penny Arcade! (In all seriousness, Mike & Jerry only seem to be getting sharper as time goes on - they truly are masters of their craft, and the things they've done with their success are commendable. The Trenches isn't bad, either.)

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja Another site lost to the winds of time. In this case, the shift in focus towards storytelling over comedy drove me away. I do have to admit, Chris has grown into quite the respectable artist - his work on Galaga took me by surprise.

Three Panel Soul The team originally responsible for Mac Hall, grown up into cynical industry guys with years of experience in the field? Shhhhhh just get in my body.

XKCD The What If? articles are what I mainly visit for now P:

And I guess I should lay down some of my own :~

MS Paint Adventures NO I HAVE NOT COSPLAYED AS A TROLL I AM INSULTED YOU WOULD EVEN ASK (Problem Sleuth is pretty good too).

Jeez am I excited to tell you about Dinosaur Comics! Four times a week, internet superhero Ryan North (who also writes the Adventure Time comics!!!) posts the same six frames of sprited dinosaurs interacting and switches out the dialogue. In each strip, the excitable T-rex generally discovers some new concept and takes it to its logical extreme, before his pals (and love interests?) Dromiceiomimus and Utahraptor explain the finer details.

The Perry Bible Fellowship is about as unique as webcomics come. You won't find this kind of humour or art anywhere else. While this is true for most comics, it's especially true here. The gags are unexpected, sometimes disturbing and always vividly portrayed. Occasionally NSFW.

feel afraid (sic) is an abnormal comic, in that it takes serious or offensive subject matter and makes it absurd. The quality of the strips and the gags vary wildly; although the artist shows a good deal of technical skill, he often uses intentionally poor art to escalate the absurdity.

Rare Candy Treatment delivers quality pokemon jokes on a monthly-ish basis. I don't know what more you could ask of a pokemon joke comic.

In Johhny Wander the adorable Yuko Ota and Ananth Pana... Panagariya share their exploits in a charming greyscale format, with guest stars such as their cat Cricket and their cat Rook! It's much better than I'm making it sound.

Nerf NOW!! is written by Josué Pereira, whose first language is not english. That said, he has a solid sense of humour and aesthetics and reading his comics has never been a difficult or unpleasant experience. He does tend to focus on specific games for weeks at a time (DotA2 and TF2, usually), which is unfortunate if you don't play them.

VG Cats updates practically never but it's a classic. Scott pretty much set the bar for juvenile gaming humour in an era where you couldn't take two clicks without finding another high-quality gaming strip. His characters are adorable and colourful and downright unforgettable.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (which updates very frequently) is chock full of philosophy, science and nerd culture jokes, as well as a few cheap puns to pad it out. Zach also directs(?) a number of short skits which are released as episodes of "SMBC theater", but I've never found the time to check any of them out x:

Extra Fabulous Comics is kind of the polar opposite of feel afraid - it typically portrays completely absurd situations in a completely straight manner. The subject matter is all over the place, with exaggerated biographical strips sitting cheek-by-jowel with societal commentary and complete nonsense.

Fanboys (which used to have an @ and a $ in the title?) is ostensibly a gaming comic, but perhaps more accurately is a comic about gamers. Scott is an accomplished artist and every now and then he leverages his skills in a short storyline more meaningful and touching than the entirety of the rest of the comic. Likeable characters, good aesthetics, even funny sometimes.

Cyanide & Happiness is notorious for their aggressive willingness to tackle taboo subjects and concepts that other gag strips won't dare approach. Once a year they even do a 'Depressing Comics Week', in which every strip is as emotionally upsetting as possible. The artists each take turns publishing their compact stick-figure antics, so updates come quickly and reliably.

Oglaf (which is NSFW more often than not) is hilarious, especially since it doesn't really have any competitors in the field of 'dirty joke comics'. The quality and presentation are of a consistently high caliber, and did I mention that the dirty bits are really hot?

Three Word Phrase is startlingly abrupt in its humour, by which I guess I mean it is 'efficient'. Ryan takes the minimum necessary time to set up your expectations with skilled use of iconography and tropage, and then just as quickly turns them about. And then some days he just makes visual puns.

Nedroid follows the exploits of Beartato and Reginald, a pair of wacky, anthropomorphic troublemakers whose friendship is held together sheerly out of vitriol and ignorance. The strips feature a simplistic, cartoony style in bright colours that contrasts the sometimes bloodthirsty antics of its cast. It's run by Anthony Clark, the colourist for Dr McNinja.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is, as put by its author Kelly Turnbull, "about a time traveling Navy SEAL single dad from the nonspecific spacefuture... He’s just the straight-man bridge between the hyper macho characters and the normal people." MGDMT usually references topical video games and movies, and the action heroes therein, but has its own internal universe where all these characters attempt to live normal lives (with hilarious results).

Newspaper Comic Strip is the bizarre tale of a newspaper comic strip character who becomes aware that he is, in fact, in a comic, and begins investigating the world around him while trying not to tip off the logo or his wife (who are clearly in on it (he thinks)). He jumps from wild assumption to wild assumption, simultaneously trying to figure out the rules of the universe he lives in and the roles of the other characters he meets.

Critical Miss is your prototypical gaming comic at first glance, but recently has started dipping into darker themes. The artist is only now coming to grips with his skillset, and the gags are pretty hit and miss, but I feel it's worth a mention.

Other special mentions: A Softer World, photography with a twist. Dresden Codak, science fantasy with beautiful art and intelligent writing. Subnormality, exploring the human condition by talking too much. Templar, Arizona, a dysfunctional city with the most intriguing history. Ballad, the most disturbing thing I've ever wanted to see more of.

I wish I had time to do more/give them entries they deserve but my computer crashed three times during the writing of this so I'm done.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 18:09 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Cyanide & Happiness, xkcd, and Dr. McNinja I would say are my big three. I was into Dominic Deegan for a while, but lost track of everything and it kinda stopped going places. Same thing happened with Buttersafe. They both have their good moments, but there's a lot of stuff in between.
A good, if recent, one that I found is JL8. Imagine the Justice League as 8-year-olds. It's good.
Also, completely different from anything I've seen, and not sure if it counts as a strict webcomic, but I like Cooking Comically. It doesn't update too often, but it's this guy logging the steps in various recipes with occasional comments from or involving drawn-in characters.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 19:35 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Hark! A Vagrant! makes me proud to be Canadian. It really does, more than hockey or our depressing 20th century literal tradition or Alanis Morrisette. (Kate Beaton also apparently worked at the Vancouver Maritime Museum about the same time I paid the place a visit, so I might have met her without even knowing.)

Oglaf is also fantastic, my entire circle of friends are fans to some degree or another. Occasionally you will hear shouts of "SHOW ME YOUR HONOR!" or "I AM A RIVER TO MY PEOPLE!" at our D&D sessions.

Also:
Something Positive is a comic which sums up my likes pretty well: It's cynical, witty and full of dead-jewish-baby-in-auschwitz humour (think Cards Against Humanity with a table full of drunk and very educated individuals), which is the sort I find myself liking quite a bit.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Questionable Content yet, which is surprising, probably because I figure it'd be this crowd's speed. It's a bit hipster-ish at times, but the art is good and constantly improving, the characters are relatively endearing and they DO tend to grow on you after a while...

Then there's Menage a 3 which is literally, the most French-Canadian thing on the internet that isn't sporting a Fleur-de-Lys and an angry rant about how all Leafs fans are gay paedophiles. It's another "twenty-somethings living in an apartment and their sex lives" comic, but the art is fantastic and writing is quite good. It is, of course, like most things out of Montreal, NSFW.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2013, 21:06 

Absentee (1)
Yeah DD was pretty good, I often wonder what it would be like if I hadn't given up on it :~

Cataphrak wrote:
Something Positive is a comic which sums up my likes pretty well: It's cynical, witty and full of dead-jewish-baby-in-auschwitz humour (think Cards Against Humanity with a table full of drunk and very educated individuals), which is the sort I find myself liking quite a bit.

Yet another I lost interest in. I think the dark humour was starting to get me down, but maybe I would be able to enjoy it again now

Quote:
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Questionable Content yet, which is surprising, probably because I figure it'd be this crowd's speed. It's a bit hipster-ish at times, but the art is good and constantly improving, the characters are relatively endearing and they DO tend to grow on you after a while...

My roommate used to read it fanatically, but I never really gave it a fair chance. Hm.

[s]164 bookmarks and counting[/s]

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 01:39 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I don't really read many.

Girls with Slingshots
JL8 - DC characters as kids
Questionable Content
xkcd
Oglaf (NSFW but pretty hilarious)

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 11:22 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
A Softer World
For all your self-loathing amusement.

Control+Alt+Delete
I've been really torn about CAD since Buckley did his pseudo-reboot. I really really miss Ethan, Lilah, Lucas and Kate; they were some of my favourite webcomic characters ever. But on the other hand he clearly was coming up with some wild and crazy crap in an effort to force their storyline to keep going there at the end, and that was annoying. And I also always did say I wanted to see more of the players because I adore them. Now that it's all them though, I, well, yeah.

Cyanide & Happiness
For every vulger, obscene and tasteless joke, there's a pretty hilarious one.

Penny Arcade
Personally I don't give a crap about the news posts, and I get really annoyed that there's like three news posts for every one comic; I kinda wish they had two separate RSS feeds for the two things. I do however, realise that their news posts are a huge deal for them and really, the gaming community as a whole, so I don't really desire for them to go away. I understand their appeal and wouldn't take them away from anyone.

Looking For Group
This started off intriguing, and I run into people who rave about it--I've followed it from the beginning. But frankly it's devolved so much I'm about to unsub. The plot meanders so much and so freely that it lost all semblance of actually being a plot a long time ago. There are thing from the first ten pages that were made out to be the ultimate thing that was the entire point of the comic that have really come across as having simply been forgotten about, and the characters just fall from one unresolved conflict and plotline to the next. The only one I think they ever completed was the restoration of Kethnecia or whatever that city was, and once they did that they pulled out a sort of "Part II" to that conflict that they abruptly had the two main characters purposefully abandon for no apparent reason. Basically this comic is Richard, the Warlock, being inserted in absurd situations so he can make sarcastic remarks or cultural references. That's all that's left of it, and they aren't even all tht funny any more. I am very disappointed that what looked to be a very sophisticated and complex plot for a webcomic turned out as this.

Hanna is Not a Boy's Name
This hasn't updated for years, but it was my very favourite webcomic, and I will remain subbed to it until the day the site goes down.
Hannadarity.

Something of that Ilk
Like a softcore Cyanide & Happiness

Spinnerette
This one abruptly stopped updating and the site has gone down. I wouldn't have posted it at all, except I was wondering if anybody had heard anything about it? I mean it even had books published IIRC.

VG Cats
The classic.

XKCD
Yeah, even if you don't webcomic you XKCD.

Awkward Zombie
Kaaaatie Tiedriiiiiiiich!
: D

Chaos Life
Yep.

Scout Crossing/Dangerously Scene
Honestly I haven't any frikkin clue what this is about and I got lost trying to read it from the beginning; I just like looking at the artistic style.

Girls With Slingshots
The Hazel/Zach thing is starting to piss me off. I adored Hazel until she got hung up so long on this. I'm also beginning to get a little annoyed at the high number of guest strips that don't really progress the story. the latter is a minor complaint though, really.

Hark a Vagrant!
Hark a Vagrant! <3

Head Trip
Hasn't updated since the last day of 2010. Whatever happened to this? I mean the artist is still active on dA.

The Non-Adventures of Wonderella
Currently second favourite webcomic. Wonderella is my kind of superheroine.

Two Guys and Guy
currently my favourite webcomic, because I'm an asshat.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 12:16 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Zeth wrote:
XKCD
Yeah, even if you don't webcomic you XKCD.
Absolutely. I've never made a point of following any webcomic long-term, but I do love dipping into XKCD every so often.

Others that I enjoy browsing every now and then are Ctrl+Alt+Del, Hark! A Vagrant, Cyanide and Happiness, Oglaf, Questionable Content, and Two Guys and Guy.

The one comic I did follow for quite a while was Hanna is Not a Boy's Name, which Ethan introduced me to, but, as he said, it hasn't been updated for ages.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 12:59 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Zeth wrote:
Hanna is Not a Boy's Name
This has updated for years

For the sake of new readers' sanity, you may wish to edit that sentence.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2013, 13:29 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Good catch.