All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: BookQuest
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 21:43 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
*paws at the Iron Man stuff*

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 23:46 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
If you hit them hard enough, little pieces of Robert Downey Jr fall out.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 00:24 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
you're doing a pretty poor job of convincing me I don't want to be you

especially the red hulk I've been meaning to hunt his stuff down for a while

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 02:31 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Want!!!

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 13:41 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Zeth wrote:
If you hit them hard enough, little pieces of Robert Downey Jr fall out.

*sobs*

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 00:28 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Myke wrote:
especially the red hulk I've been meaning to hunt his stuff down for a while
I was never really a Hulk enthusiast until seeing more of the newer stuff.

Maybe I just didn't like Banner and it never occurred to me. The less screentime he actually seems to have and the more focus is directed on either the other Hulks or else his interactions with other Hulks, the more interested I am. I mean I can't think of any reasons I would have for disliking Banner specifically, but...eh, I dunno. It could also be I just simply don't like the older Hulk material. Still don't so much.

It is worth noting that She-Hulk is a different story entirely. Halfprice only had one She-Hulk comic when I went, and it was in a special plastic sheath (though the price was the same) so I couldn't flip through it beforehand, and that was an older collection of older comics; lat '80s I think. In the end I decided not to get it because I couldn't actually verify what sort of condition it was in, or if I actually would be interested in the stories. Buuuuut I think I will definitely get it if it's still there when I go back some time in a week or two from now. Since it's a She-Hulk, I think I have a fair chance of it maybe still being there. Then again it was the only one... I dunno.
Point is, I do like She-Hulk, and not too many people seem to.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 02:46 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I likewise have never been keen on the hulk. When I first got into Marvel comics at around the age of 10 there were several characters I adored, and a lot that I didn't go overboard about but still thoroughly enjoyed reading about and could get engrossed in their stories. But Bruce banner didn't appeal to me in the slightest; I didn't find him attractive as a person and I didn't find the Hulk particularly interesting as a character. I did go to see the first Hulk film in the cinema, and have seen parts of the second one on TV, and I wasn't bored, but wasn't anywhere near engaged as I have been in even the less high-quality movies about the other Marvel characters.

I confess I've never read any She-Hulk stories, largely because I find it a bit irritating that whenever a male superhero becomes really popular their publisher seems to deem it necessary to bring out a female version. It's always seemed... I dunno... just terribly unoriginal. I'd much rather they simply designed a totally different female character (and of course there are hundreds of totally different female superheroes anyway). I know how much you like the She-hulk, and if you think she's so good, maybe I should try taking a look. Unless you just like her because you find her fanciable (which I admit has been the reason for some of the male characters I've taken an interest in over the years - the reason I first got into Marvel comics so heavily as a child was because I developed a crush on Thor :P).

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 03:50 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
Jen's stories are interesting since a lot of the time it's just her leading a normal life as a big indestructible green monster. Like she still works as a lawyer and shows up in court in custom tailored suits and lays down her cases while everyone cowers at the other end of the room.

Hulk was always appealing to me because of the themes involved - daddy issues, struggling with identity, dealing with guilt over the things you did when you weren't yourself (or was the other you really you all along?) and whether you might become that person again - it was all very personal to me and made his adventures that much more engaging.
Everyone else's least favourite arc, professor hulk, was also my favourite, because he united with his beast and 'won' the battle he had been waging inside.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 12:35 
Root Administrator

The Hulk comics--from what little I've seen of them--are far more interesting than the movies. I can't find the scan right now because my internet is acting up but there's a particularly poignant scene where Bruce is talking with the Hulk about the abuse his father inflicted upon him as a kid and if I remember correctly Bruce is essentially having to decide for himself which path he is going to choose. It's pretty good.

I will say I like the most recent Hulk so far and if they make a movie based off of Mark Ruffalo's acting of him it has the potential to be quite interesting.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 22:08 
Administrator

Myke wrote:
Jen's stories are interesting since a lot of the time it's just her leading a normal life as a big indestructible green monster. Like she still works as a lawyer and shows up in court in custom tailored suits and lays down her cases while everyone cowers at the other end of the room.
QFT

I think basically once the Illuminati start meddling in Hulk/Banner's life and everything that came after that is when it started getting interesting for me.
Which means in an indirect way I guess it took Iron Man and Pro. X's persuasion amongst others to jumpstart my interest.
Anyway: went to Barnes & Noble today. They actually had both Planet Hulk and World War Hulk as well as Prelude to Planet Hulk, all three of which I wanted besides these that I got, but buying these things brand new from a store rack is way more expensive than my typical internet sleuthing will net them for, so I had to prioritise.

At the time of this post I've read Extremis already and have mixed feelings about it both as a plot and a comic. Which I suppose I hadn't really expected. Well no, I definitely didn't expect because I expected to be enthralled by it; the concept has me written all over it and everything that's emerged directly from the Extremis storyline--particularly Execute Program, Civil War and Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I have loved. (Execute Program was particularly up my alley). But the actual Extremis comics...felt rushed, compressed, convenient and choppy. Similar reversed expectations on the art; what I had seen of it, albeit internet clips are going to be taken from some of the best images in the book, previewed a highly realistic style that I thought I was going to really like. But actually seeing it, it felt...weird. It's almost hard to describe, even. It's like...it's like it was all done up as 3D models on a computer first, and then the colours, lines and textures were mapped on from scans of 50s Art Deco pencil shading gone mad. It simultaneously felt rubbery and paper-cut-out-y and I'm not certain how that is a thing.

Zircher--he was the penciler for the comics in the Execute Program and Deadly Solutions collections amongst others--and Yu both seem to have a really good style for my preferences. They're fairly similar styles too, although Yu stands out in my mind has having an interesting combination of new and old comicbook styles. It's really clean with lots of linear variation with Japanese influences like much of the modern non-digital-heavy styles but incorporates more of the old pencil-line shading, folds, and markings that strike me as more classic comicbook style. This having been said, I've seen far less of Yu's work than Zircher's, and it goes without saying that the inkers either work with on a particular project have a heavy enough influence that it can sway perceptions.

I'm thinking of maybe reviewing comic compilations in my spare time (you know, if that regularly came up) and posting them to Driftstream.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 23:16 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Zeth wrote:
...it simultaneously felt rubbery and paper-cut-out-y and I'm not certain how that is a thing.

Would you mind terribly posting up a Scan? I'm having a great Deal of Trouble imagining this...

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 05:47 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Zeth wrote:
They're fairly similar styles too, although Yu stands out in my mind has having an interesting combination of new and old comicbook styles.
Yu was one of my favourite X-Men artists (though he hasn't worked on them in a long time - at least, not the titles I subscribe to). I don't know what his art is like in your comics (I like the style on the cover of Secret Invasion but covers are very often drawn by a different artist), but when he was doing the X-Men I particularly appreciated the way he was able to depict the characters' typical comic-book heavy musculature without making them look excessively bulky (or excessively well-endowed in the case of the women) like many comic artists do. I felt he found a nice compromise between comic style and realism.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 21:31 
Administrator

Albert Clare wrote:
Would you mind terribly posting up a Scan? I'm having a great Deal of Trouble imagining this...
Just type "Iron man extremis" into google image search and you'll get relevant hits.

dinowoman wrote:
when he was doing the X-Men I particularly appreciated the way he was able to depict the characters' typical comic-book heavy musculature without making them look excessively bulky (or excessively well-endowed in the case of the women) like many comic artists do. I felt he found a nice compromise between comic style and realism.
Well I haven't seen any of his X-Men comics, but I'll heavily agree on the musculature comment, both for men and for women. He has an excellent grasp of anatomy beyond what I would estimate the average comic book artist. As far as not over-endowing the women, I think, at least in what I've read now, he still manages to fall prey to that as with 99% of comic book artists--especially with Jessica Drew, Carol Danvers, Janet van Dyne, Susan Richards and any given generic superhuman character (all the Skrulls, Savagelanders, etc.). But then, I must admit and admit positively, the extent to which he falls prey to this isn't so severe as many other artists. He also seems to have a bit of odd fluctuation with Verenke/SpiderWoman. That could be owing to the sheer number of times he had to draw her though, in like, a bajillion different, conflicting attitudes, poses and forms. That having been said, his consistency overall was very nice.

I mention that because apparently there's something of a trend with X-Men artists jumping over to Iron Man-centric stories. The Invincible Iron Man run that started in 2008 with The Five Nightmare had Salvador Larocca do those first seven issues, at least. He apparently used to work with the Uncanny X-Men side of Marvel. God, that guy... I mean I guess he had a really great style--every frame was really well done, continuous, clear, pretty to look at--but he had no consistency whatsoever. Every time I saw Zeke Stane and Tony they looked like different people. At least Tony's versions, frame to frame, looked like they could be related. Zeke Stane ranged all over the map from standard characterisation to younger Stark to middle eastern skinhead to John F Kennedy. When the story would cut to him for dramatic effect I would get lost because I had no idea who the character was. It really pissed me off.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 04:21 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Oh yes! That's always been one of my gripes with American comic art. Some artists are very good at consistency, but far too many (and yes, Salvador Larocca is very definitely one of them) can't keep a character looking the same from one frame to the next. I used to just take it for granted that it was very difficult to do when you have to depict the same character over and over again across a long run, but then I started reading Japanese manga and saw that they all have really good consistency. Maybe American company's deadlines are simply too tight to spend much time taking care over the drawing, or maybe Japanese artists work far longer hours (which may well be the case - whenever I read comments from Japanese mangaka they always seem to be talking about being tired), but either way, the lack of consistency really bugs me.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 08:45 
Administrator

I think it has a lot to do with the corporate culture. The vast majority of mangaka are working on their own special baby, while the vast majority of American comicbook artists rotate in and out of a position for a team dedicated to a character that they may like but whom ultimately everybody has a slightly different vision of, and so they have to adapt a previous thing to a new era and new style a lot. Combine that with writers doing eeeexactly the same thing and it isn't too difficult to see where the conflicts may arise. At least with Stark you get a little slack, since as Tony he has several distinctive features (goooaaateee), and as Iron Man the whole thing can be handwaved with "ope, redesigned my armour again," which is logically something he should and would do. Similar cases for Wolverine and Captain America.

Now if you want to see someone who has really got the butt end of that phenomenon, see She-Hulk once again. Heck, she changed styles alongside Lyra and Red She-Hulk in the middle of a comic. It was one of the issues in the Savage She-Hulk Fall of the Hulks compilation; can't recall the artist. But regardless, Shulkie never seems to appear the same way twice.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 15:09 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I certainly accept that there are going to be style changes as a result of artists switching in and out of a title - that's to be expected - everyone has their own drawing style - but it still doesn't explain why an individual artist can't keep a character looking consistent. Like you, I've also had the experience of not being sure who a character was in a certain frame because he looked nothing like he had in previous ones.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 21:33 
Administrator

Well I mean it's like they don't have the sheer practice with a single character, I would think. I mean that doesn't wholly excuse it, but I'd think it's a pretty hefty contributing factor.

Also, the She-Hulk mid-comic change-up was apparently in the middle of Fall of the Hulks: The Savage She-Hulks #2 (2010), and was drawn by Salvador Espin. Or at least half of it was. It's really as if you turn the page and some other artist sat down and took over. But Espin's the only one credited for pencilling, and the change is undeniably in pencilling, so...I have no idea what's up with that.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 23:17 
Administrator

So I ordered some stuff before my trip and some of them were waiting for me when I got back. The ones in the red outline are among those things. The rest came from Half Price Books again; went back today. Unfortunately, being the idiot that I was, the She-Hulk I past up earlier was gone. In fact there was no She-Hulk, no Ms. Marvel (one I'd like to read some of those now that I've finally gotten to see Tony confronting Carol about her drinking; if it isn't abundantly obvious by now, all my Marvel interests spider out in a web as Tony Stark interacts with various other characters in significant ways), none of the 2000s Hulk series I didn't already have save a rather pricey edition of Planet Skaar, which wasn't incredibly attractive to me anyway. And very little, actually, from the era of events that I was looking for save what you see in the picture. Not as amazing of a yield as the last trip, but, well, I suppose not every trip can be an amazing over the top harvest.

I'm a little wary of The Ultron Initiative. It has some rather influential plot to later events in it, so I did want it. On the one hand, I tend to like Bendis's writing, and I peeked at the flashback sequences set when Tony was recruiting the new Might Avengers team, and those could have been expounded on for a pretty interesting stand alone compilation of comics;each comic being about the recruitment of a different Mighty Avenger member. Obviously that didn't happen. Anyway. On the other hand, a really large part of the arc seems like an excuse for Cho to draw a basically naked sexy woman that somehow doesn't bother the Comic Code Authority many many times.

Though I gotta say that them making The Mole Man a serious threat is a highly amusing and interesting choice.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 15:25 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I've been meaning to post this for ages, but never got around to it.

I got this pretty LOTR boxset for my birthday, which made me happy, because while normally I settle for whatever copy of a book I can get my hands on I've always wanted a really nice set of LOTR books. I found The Silmarillion later at Robie's; I wanted a copy of my own anyway, but I didn't expect to find one that matched the other books so perfectly.

I got this for my term paper. It turned out to be a lot larger than I was expecting. I'm, uh...not sure what to do with it now.

This is what I got the first time I went to Half Price Books (Ethan is not kidding about that place). Yes, 2/3 of it is games, not books. DA2 was something like $3. Best bookstore ever.

And this is what I got the second time I went to Half Price Books. There seems to be a pattern here.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 15:31 
Administrator

Sillllmarilllliiiooon.

Unrelated:
15:27 - FMZeth: it says a lot for DC that you end up getting way more than you want/need/expect and once your explicit purpose is done you're left there standing around holding it and looking around awkwardly.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 20:12 
Administrator

Okay, so I know what I said, but, there were...circumstances. Anyway, this is definitely all I can get for a long time now.

Ms Marvel Civil War and Dark Avengers Assemble were the last two of the ones I ordered online a while back. All the rest are the ones I picked up at Half Price Books today.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 16:07 
Veteran

Up in Knoxville ostensibly to visit the maternal side of the family but really to go to McKay's, a giant used book/movie/CD/game/whatever warehouse. We managed to scrounge up a pretty good stack of books to trade in and got $90 worth of credit for them, so I came away quite happily with a bag full of Star Trek, Dianne Duane, Diana Wynne Jones and Ursula K. LeGuin, among a few other things. The real find, however, was unequivocally this:

It is absolutely terrible in the most hilariously wonderful way. The comics are all from 1974-5, but apparently whoever did them did not get the memo about the Silver Age being over by then. As the cover does nothing to particularly indicate the style of the content (although thanks to the ongoing 'what is up with Trek uniforms' discussion Zeth and I have been having for ages I couldn't help but noticed that someone has apparently sewn McCoy's overshirt to his undershirt...), I felt compelled to share some of the best parts with you all. (Spoilered for length; sorry for the terribad image quality but all I had to work with was my phone camera.)

Spoiler: show

Here we see Kirk employ the classic Silver Age technique of narrating out loud what's going on around him rather than doing anything about it. Of course, we know from the original series that Kirk already has a tendency to monologue randomly at the least opportune times, so this at least makes more sense for him than it does for most other characters.

Uhura is rather distressingly pale throughout most of the book. Then again, the universal coloring and art problems are so incredibly obvious that it's kind of hard to take too much offense at this most unfortunate example. Among other things, at any given time half the crew of the Enterprise are wearing green shirts.

"Of course, we could always go out and help him." "We could, yes."

This seemed a little odd, as I don't recall Bones having any particular rivalry with Scotty. Then again, I don't recall him laughing by carefully and disturbingly enunciating each 'HA' either. Actually, come to think of it, I don't recall him laughing.

TINY ANGRY SCOTTY

The under-represented minority group of Scotty/Bones shippers gets thrown a (rather odd) bone.

Scotty has discovered the cure for the common cold, and it's SCOTTY.

"Okay, yes, the planet blew up-no, no, wait, hear us out-"

Spock says, while about to be attacked by a mountain lion.

"Captain! We're being attacked by a horde of Japanese stereotypes!"

Vid-sorbed?

Lakes? Lakes!

Yes, go pick up some glowing ore, Sulu. That's never ended badly for anyone before.

Sulu shows his supreme scorn for being deprived of his goldshirt. Meanwhile, offscreen: "Hey! I ain't going anywhere!"

O RLY

Uhura tells it like it is.

The Daleks tried using that as a catchphrase for a while but it turned out to be too monosyllabic for their needs.

Jeez, Spock.

"Fire, Doctor, Quickly! You know I can't fire my phaser until you do!" "Wait, what?" "DON'T QUESTION ME!"

"MUST...EMPLOY...VULCAN JAZZ HANDS!"

Things just be exploding all over the place lately.

"What happened to our medical officer?" "What medical officer?"

Eyebrows of disapproval, ACTIVATE.

KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN

Yes, he did just jump up into the air with the aid of a little fan that came out of his backpack. I have no further commentary on this.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm not trying to be a stickler for character intricacies or anything, but this seems a little bit off to me. I think the writer/artists may have occasionally forgotten that the two dark-haired male characters in blue shirts weren't actually the same individual-it would explain a lot.

This seems familiar. Oh yeah...

"Who should I strike? I think I'll strike...YOU!"

It sure is a good thing we happened to have these telepathy helmets on board for just such an occasion!

Meanwhile Scotty has gone rogue and switched departments. This will surely cause a crash in the morale of the engineering team, who up until now were only kept going by the knowledge that they were led by the one man in the universe who could wear a red shirt and live to tell the tale. Mon.

Kirk is always up for a battle to the death. Meanwhile, McCoy has switched to his t-shirt in a desperate attempt to make himself distinguishable from Spock in the long shots.

"Back in the 21st century, we called this a fencing foil. But this is the FUTURE now, and we can't be having with that sort of thing."

Here we see Spock's super-srs logic pose in action.

Are you kidding me Spock, Starfleet has wasted your time on much stupider things than this.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 17:23 
Administrator

Quote:
"Of course, we could always go out and help him." "We could, yes."

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 10:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Not exactly books but I'm now the proud owner of 103 issues of Dinosaurs magazine, which Sam/Casey's mum used to collect and had sitting around in her garage for many years.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 15:10 
Veteran

Are those dinosaur-shaped 3D glasses I see in the middle there?