All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Harry Potter
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 12:49 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Weird, we had a thread on this, but it was comparing the books and the movies. Other than that, we haven't really talked about Harry Potter at all.

My favorite book in the series, at least without having reread all of them yet (currently in the process of doing so, on book 4), is Prisoner of Azkaban. Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite, mostly because Harry whines so much during it. While I understand why he would whine, but it's just annoying to dredge through. The fourth book is, for me, where the series changed tone; it's where we learn about the Unforgivable Curses (probably the best chapter Rowling ever wrote), it's where we see Cedric die despite everyone being vigilant about keeping the Triwizard Tournament safe, it's where Voldemort comes back.

I like the movies fine, but they have nothing on the books. Unfortunately with movies, you have to cut a lot out, and they cut out stuff that they really should have kept in (e.g. Marauder's Map), and some stuff doesn't make sense unless you've read the books (e.g. how does Snape know they're in the Shrieking Shack during the third movie? He just kind of shows up.) That said, without having re-watched all the movies, I've actually flipped my favorite and least favorite: I hate the third movie; the acting was fine, but they just did not do the books justice. The fifth movie was my favorite.

I'm going to be interested to see if my opinion changes as I reread/re-watch the series.

By the by, my friend was recently on a podcast for MuggleNet, one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Harry Potter fansite. You should give it a listen, if you're interested.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 13:56 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Man, Harry Potter was my childhood.

Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book too. My only grief with it was that the entire climax-and thus, the conflict for the entire rest of the series-hinged on the characters having two monumental lapses in judgement: forgetting that Lupin was a werewolf and, worse, two shapeshifting adult characters deciding that handcuffs were the best method of restraining another shapeshifting character.

I hated Order of the Phoenix because it was the book where Sirius died.

As far as the movies go...I still hold to my opinion that if they were going to have David Tennant in there anyway, they should have cast him as Professor Lupin.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 14:15 
Veteran

Harry Potter is amazing! I would say it's my all time favorite book and movie series. I doubt it will ever be topped.

If I had to choose a favorite book I guess it would be Sorcerer's Stone. Nothing like the original. My least favorite book would be Order of the Phoenix because, like Crystal said in other words, Harry was a little emo girl for the majority of the book and it was annoying to read. I even stopped reading about 5 chapters in and didn't pick the book back up until the 6th book was announced for release.

As far as movies go, I agree they have nothing on the books but I like to do this thing where if a movie is based on a book I make the 2 things totally separate in my head. It seems to make me enjoy both more than I do when I compare them. I don't really have a favorite or least favorite movie. I love watching them all whenever I get a chance. I do have a least favorite part in a movie, though.

WARNING TO ANYONE WHO HAS YET TO READ THE 7TH BOOK - THERE ARE SPOILERS BELOW

[SIZE=2][spoiler]I really disliked how much they kind of brushed off the one Weasley twin's death in the 7th movie. If you open up my book to the part where he dies you will see several dried tear drops. No lie, call me a pussy if you want. When I went to see part 2 of the 7th movie I thought I would start bawling in the theater when it happened, but I barely shed a tear because you don't even see if really happen unless you know. I feel like the twins were a huge part of the series and provided a lot of much needed comical relief and he deserved more recognition.[/spoiler]
[/SIZE]

Post subject: Re: Harry Potter
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 16:45 
Veteran

So in Britain, there's a Prime Minister of Magic. Is there a President of Magic in the US? (Senate of Magic? Supreme Court of Magic?)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 00:06 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
You mean like Fudge? He's the Minister of Magic still I think. I don't remember, it's been a while since I've read the American version.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 01:09 
Veteran

No, no, Fudge is the Minister of Magic in American version and, I assume, in all editions. I mean, in the Harry Potter universe, is there a President of Magic in Wizard America? Does the one-to-one magical counterpart thing work the same in all countries? Just wondering.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 05:33 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
It ought to. The wiki says, "Many other wizarding countries also have Ministers and have the similar governmental systems such as the Bulgarian minister." I'd be extremely surprised if America didn't have something equivalent.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 10:25 
Root Administrator

Oh, yeah. America isn't mentioned at all but considering there are other Ministers of Magic (we meet the Bulgarian one in Goblet of Fire; he pretends to not know English to screw with Fudge), I'd say there's probably an American Minister of Magic.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 21:23 
Veteran

That's an interesting topic I have never even thought about before. Hmm...

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 22:55 
Veteran

Someone on TV Tropes wondered if, if all countries have such perfect magical analogues, what happens if a country splits up or gets absorbed into another country or undergoes some kind of governmental overhaul for purely Muggle-related reasons (Soviet Union of Magic?). I have no answer to this question.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 23:31 
Root Administrator

That's a good point.

Considering magic folk don't often follow the goings on of Muggles, I don't imagine they'd care too much, unless their people were involved with said reorganization. I mean, one of the very few times they actually followed the lead of Muggles was with indoor plumbing. And I don't think they'd be too keen on changing things up just because Muggles are having issues. Hell, as Fudge showed us, they're not too keen on changing things up when THEY'RE having issues.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 01:49 
Veteran

Still, it is notable that all the wizards we see stick to real-world national lines. It would be interesting to see if there were whole countries in the Potterverse that only exist in the magical world and not the normal one because someone went off and had a rebellion at the right time (or didn't go off and have a rebellion at the right time, as the case may be).

It also brings up the question of whether wizards/witches legally exist in the muggle governments in their countries. Do they have birth certificates, social security numbers, etc? I think we can assume they don't pay taxes since even a guy who spends a lot of time researching muggles has no clue when it comes to muggle currency. Do muggleborn wizards just completely drop off the radar and disappear when they turn eleven? I guess we could just assume there's some kind of magic in place to take care of that but that doesn't seem very interesting.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 10:37 
Root Administrator

Well I think it depends on what community they're belonging to. I would bet money Mrs. Figg existed and paid taxes, for example, but that was because she was intentionally living in the Muggle world to protect Harry. I would imagine that other witches and wizards would not, especially pure-blooded families. You know the Malfoys would not bother with anything Muggle-related.

I think my main question is what would happen to Muggle-borns like Hermoine. Their births have been recorded. What happens after they go to Hogwarts? You can say boarding school (similar to what the Dursleys said about Harry), sure, but the government is surely going to care where you are once you're an adult. Maybe they have a department in the Ministry of Magic that deals with those sorts of things. It would make sense.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 19:34 
Veteran

Yeah, the rather abrupt leap the muggleborns seem to make between the muggle world and the wizarding world always kind of threw me a little bit. You have all these kids who have maybe a few months to adjust to the fact that oh my god magic exists and I can do it and so can all these other people who have been hiding from us for centuries, but it seems like they just jump right in and act like all the other wizards and pay no attention to the first eleven years of their lives. I understand why the rest of the wizarding world is so backwards and ignorant, but it seems like the muggleborns coming in would occasionally pipe up and go, "Hey guys, we have paper and pencils now, why don't we use those instead?" or "Hey, we have this great new thing called pants now."