Funniest Member (4)
Albert Clare wrote:
Can you read Finnish?

"The end".

Post subject: Re: Discworld
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 14:26 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
*Groan* :P

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 15:22 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Bad Pun! Bad! I'm supposed to be the one making People groan!

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 22:08 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
David wrote:
Albert Clare wrote:
Can you read Finnish?

"The end".
This is what perfection looks like.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 23:41 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I tip my hat to you, sir.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 20:02 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
people have been suggesting these books to me for as long as I've been literate, but I'm kind of glad I put it off for as long as I did - I'm not sure I would have got many of the subtleties if I read them any younger

anyway I've started with the City Watch books in order, which a friend insisted would be perfect for me (and they were), and once I track down Snuff I'll probably move on to the Death series

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2014, 18:54 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I think Mort is still my favourite Death novel, in spite of not really liking Ysabell. Something about the characters themselves and specifically their interactions with each other was particularly appealing in Mort--thoguh don't get me wrong, that's always a highlight of Discworld books.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 00:00 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Not sure what my favourite Death novel is. Maybe "the reaper man". It is my favourite Character line, Or is tied as such the the Guard series.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 01:17 
Administrator

Reaper Man had possibly the best live-up to the best build-up of any showdown in literature.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 13:58 
Veteran

That is a most excellent way of putting it.

Reaper Man is one of my favorite Discworld novels period, because I read it when I was going through some very intense anxiety and stranded on a camping trip with nothing to do but sit around and twitch and think gloomy morbid existential thoughts, and my parents took me to a Books-A-Million and I got Reaper Man and it was probably the best possible thing I could have read at that point. It made me feel so much better.

I may have told that story before. I can't remember.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 16:02 
Administrator

Well regardless it's a good story. On both counts.

I'll say one Death novel I wasn't too keen on though was Soul Music. It didn't really feel like a Death novel very much TBH; it was like he was just obligating himself to be there.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2014, 11:20 
Veteran

Okay, so...I saw this the other day and it made me really sad, but it also made me think of something I've wanted to do for a long time now and reminded me that I really need to do it while I still have the chance.

Terry Pratchett has probably affected me more than any other author I've ever read; not just because his books are brilliant and funny and generally wonderful, but on a personal level they've helped me get through an awful lot of rough spots, and my favorite ones in my collection are probably the most well-loved books I have-not just the novels themselves but the actual copies of them that I own. I took them to college with me, I cart them around in my satchel like a security blanket when I'm feeling anxious or blue, and no matter how many times I read them, they never seem to get old.

I have wanted to write a letter to Sir Pterry for-well, it must be years now. I don't have anything particularly groundbreaking to say, and I know it would only be one of a veritable iceberg of fanmail he gets, but I would just like to let him know, if I can, what an impact his work has had on me. I've never written to an author or any other figure that I admire before, and every time I try I lose my nerve. But, well, not to get too morbid, but I think that knowing I had the chance to do this and didn't will haunt me when he is gone.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I thought that if I were going to do this, other people might like to, so if anyone else wants to add their own piece to this missive they can. Also I was just kind of hoping it might help me get up my courage some, and pressure me into actually doing it.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 03:51 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Oh yes, do write to him! I can't personally think of anything I'd like to add to your missive because anything I could possibly say would be trite in comparison to what you have available to tell him (and I'm terrible at thinking of things to say to people anyway) but I'm sure that when he came to your mail in amongst all his other fan mail he would be very moved. Do make sure you include all the things you've posted about here. In fact, you could even tell him you'd posted here and quote your post.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 21:53 
Administrator

I believe there is an Imagine Dragons song that informs us that if you love somebody you better tell them while they're here because you never know when they might run away, run away from you. There are few things as important as that, I feel I can say since I missed that opportunity in my life already. So yes, do write to him. The thing about torrents--of water but also of fanmail--is that it's made up of drops. Without your letter, how would Sir Pratchett know that his world meant so much to anybody?

This said, I have elected not to write to people such as PTerry and Arjen Lucassen (who would be the other closest equivalent I have to your feelings about PTerry)...for reasons I can't really explain and I'm being a bit of a hypocrite telling you what I am. I don't much care to think about it because I don't like being angry and thinking about PCA/Alzheimer's makes me very very angry. Sad too, but more angry. I don't have anything, regrettably, that I can articulate to add to your missive, since what is in my mind and soul on this particular matter is an ugly thing that does not reside in the beautiful landscape of Language. You know me well enough and you know my feelings, so if you have something you would like to write on my behalf I will not object, but neither can I add something to accurately transmit whatever this is that I have.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 21:59 
Veteran

I understand that full well, and I respect it. Thanks for the support guys. If anyone else wants to join in, it'll probably take me a little bit to figure out exactly what to say and also how to contact him in the first place, so there'll be some time to jump on if you want.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2014, 16:18 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I doubt you will need to think too hard about what to say — as a Person who writes Things, to hear any one of what you've listed would make me very happy, and he certainly won't react badly to it; somebody else has already said that a Deluge is made of Drops of Water, and one Drop can, at Times, have a greater Impact than could be imagined.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!