All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 18:27 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
Over the last few Weeks, I've read the first two Books of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy
Coincidentally, someone asked me very recently if I'd read that. (Can't remember who now, but it must have been someone IRL because I remember them waving one of them in front of my face. :P May have been Sam's lecturer.) I have to confess I wasn't even aware of them, but he said he thought they were quite interesting, and I think I recall him remarking that, as usual for C.S. Lewis, they raised theological issues but that the points they made were more obscure than in his other books. Is that the case?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 18:57 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Well, they tend to start out vague, but gradually the References to it become clearer, but it feels overall more like a private Mythos of which Christianity is a Part. I found that Out of the Silent Planet, the first of them, was the one that drew me in most easily, whereas Perelandra, the second, was more meandering. The Third, That Hideous Strength gets off to a rather slow start, but is quite intriguing once it really picks up.

I'm not sure that calling them more 'obscure' would be quite right for the Series as a Whole, but for the first Book, I would say that is a rather fitting Description. You might say that they raise many generally moral rather than theological Questions in some Regards, I suppose.

Interestingly, Tolkien apparently hated the third and would refer to it as 'That Hideous Book', though I find I rather like it myself. If I'm not much mistaken, Lewis considered the not-well-known Till We Have Faces to be his best literary Creation, but of the Space Trilogy liked Perelandra best.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 20:11 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Raising Steam by Sir Terry Pratchett

Not reading very dedicatedly, but here and there.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 12:39 

Caliban's War and Hollow City. Nearly at the end of Caliban's war and it's excellent, mid-way through Hollow City and it's a fun YA story.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 20:34 
Veteran

Just finished The Walking Dead Volume 12.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 03:29 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm currently reading Tongues of Serpents from the Temeraire series, and as soon as I've finished that I'm going to move on to Star Trek Final Frontier, which is one of several that Ethan very kindly sent me after having a clear-out of some old books.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 22:32 

Medals: 2
Best Staffer (1) Best Traditional Artist (1)
After my tenth attempt, I have finally read through Huckleberry Fin. One of the most rewarding reads I've had. Was not very fond of the end though, nor did I appreciate Tom Sawyer butting in and being an infinitely lamer character than Huck. Mark Twain was a pretty rad dude.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 23:13 
Veteran

It's been Years since I read it, but I can still remember that book fairly well; the Ending was rather bland, but I think Twain might have been at a Loss for how to end it. I thought it started fairly strong, but distinctly recall growing tired of the King and the Duke long before they disappeared.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 23:23 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
the Ending was rather bland, but I think Twain might have been at a Loss for how to end it.

The original Stephen King?

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 23:27 
Veteran

I don't know Stephen King well enough to tell you.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 23:40 

Medals: 2
Best Staffer (1) Best Traditional Artist (1)
Albert Clare wrote:
but distinctly recall growing tired of the King and the Duke long before they disappeared.

Yeah, but I really dug them at first. They were so absurd. The book really shined inside Hucks mind, in the small epiphanies he has. Starting with his thoughts on Moses and ending with his revelation that it would be immoral to turn Jim in. I really dug wow the book took the world from an ignorant child's perspective, and stayed true to that perspective, while informing us of all these social conflicts that Huck could not have possibly been aware of.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 22:25 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
All while managing to bore me very nearly to tears. I respect Mr Clements but I simply can't abide reading his stuff. I tend to enjoy his witty quotations more. A quick, condensed pearl of his wit without all the...everything else.

SO. I find the reawakening of this thread a bit rather convenient because now that the shop is opening again and I'm doing a good bit of travelling myself AND I'm in a bit of a "between gaming franchises" mood, I find myself reading a lot once more. I finished Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam. I liked it, I really did, don't get me wrong...but it seemed to be lacking a bit of that special something that the great Discworld Novels have. I think contributing to this je ne sais quoi phenomenon is the fact that the book covers SO MUCH TIME compared to the other books. And I don't mean in the Hogfather skipping from the beginning to the end of time sort of way, but rather it covers real, in-story time; more than a year of it. This keeps the pace so incredibly fast for so much of the book that the subtleties and super-insightful, telling tics that are so often something I love about Pratchett's novels are...nearly non-existent. It seemed very much like a world-building exercise, which I like to think I know a lot about and would recognise when I see one. Ideas were flying faster than real life could contend with, and so the Discworld "made" it happen because people believe in it, and now the world is different. I feel almost dirty saying this, like I'm poo-pooing on Terry Pratchett, which I really really do not want to do, but, well...tis what tis.

Anyway, I've stumbled across a treasure of books during my current travels, including a complete set of the LotR trilogy for 99 cents a book in excellent condition. A 1930s edition English Thesaurus/Dictionary, which was an amazingly fortuitous find given that the internet connection I'm making use of at this very moment renders linguistic research an exercise in toss-crap-at-walls fury. AND most special to me of all, three of the remaining four books in the Star Wars Republic Commando line of books by Karen Traviss (I already had the first one by happen stance and discovered that the subject matter was surprisingly fascinating and Karen Traviss is an amazing writer). I was having fits trying to find them, and there weren't even any good ordering potentialities online, but I found them in a Newburgh, NY Barnes and Noble. The only downside to snatching them right up was I had to forego the TOR novels nearby written by Drew Karpyshyn, as well as a ME version of Risk.

I am currently reading SW Republic Commando: Triple Zero and digging it.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 22:51 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
What you say about Raising Steam is a lot like how I felt about Snuff (and to a lesser extent, Unseen Academicals), and why I was a little leery about getting Raising Steam (aside from my general tendency to only acquire things after they've been out for some time). It feels like Discworld was evolving naturally at its own pace and then suddenly got sped way the heck up. The morbid part of me can't help but wonder if Sir PTerry isn't trying to get as much out as he can while he still has time.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 21:20 
Administrator

The Time Being wrote:
What you say about Raising Steam is a lot like how I felt about Snuff (and to a lesser extent, Unseen Academicals), and why I was a little leery about getting Raising Steam (aside from my general tendency to only acquire things after they've been out for some time). It feels like Discworld was evolving naturally at its own pace and then suddenly got sped way the heck up. The morbid part of me can't help but wonder if Sir PTerry isn't trying to get as much out as he can while he still has time.
QFT. TBH, I've seen it said time and time again that PTerry's Alzheimer's isn't interfering with his ability to storytell, merely his ability to get it down on paper, but...well, I'm no expert and I haven't personally MET Sir Pratchett, but I've looked Alzheimer's in the face a few times and I sort of feel like it is impeding his storytelling a bit. I believe it's strongly disguised by the fact that this most recent book was a Moist Novel, and Moist can get away with running wild with some idea he's just seized upon, but...well, my grandfather once wound up three hours away in Ohio trying to get to Krogers before believing he'd made it and then coming right back home like it was all a normal, typical part of the plan and not even recognised that it wasn't. It's almost like a really softcore version of that I believe my mind is seeing, whether it's actually there or not. As if PTerry had a goal, and went after it...passed it but kept going with it toward a new location that was perceived to be the original goal...passed that too, repeated, then wrapped up and came on home.

Otherwise, I've finished Star Wars Republic Commandos: Triple Zero (novel #2), which was every bit as awesome as I expected it to be. Even when something came up that I had formally been grateful HADN'T, I found myself praising how well Karen Traviss pulled it off and was so relieved at how wrong I was to be afraid of it. Example I'm thinking of while writing this is the referring to of "mainstream" SW characters, in this case Obi-wan Kenobi--I had been overjoyed how the Commando series had so amazingly and spectacularly held its own without any help from the film characters and wanted them to keep their modest distance so they could continue being so gloriously independent and realistic. But when Kenobi came up, briefly, it was done so naturally and casually that it just...just seemed natural. In such a graceful scarcity of lines it acknowledged that yes, those film characters were very important and lots of people would know who they are, but they're also not walking demigods who rule all the plots of every character living in the SW universe at the same time. And I revelled in that beautiful and seamless integration.

I EVEN just now since I got home found the last novel I need in this series. It's novel #4. Unfortunately...it is expected to arrive no sooner than 18 April, so I have to make Novel #3 last until then. This will be no mean feat given I devoured the 418 page #2 in less than 12 hours, and #3 is only 470 pages. Granted, I won't have any roadtrips upon which to read it in one long go, but still, that's really pushing things.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 21:36 
Veteran

Just read one word a day.

Regarding Sir Pterry, I couldn't make any sort of judgement call without having known the man personally both before and afterwards (which, obviously, I have not). Most writers go through pretty dramatic style shifts as their careers progress, and that's only going to be magnified when you've had as incredibly long and successful of a career as he has. He also just may be plain running out of steam. I mean, how many Discworld novels are there now? Even a genius gets tired eventually.

Maybe it's just willful optimism on my part. I guess I just can't help but feel that, well, the guy's not writing in a vacuum, you know? He's got people around him who have been reading and critiquing and helping with his work for years, so it's not like he can just veer completely off track for no reason and have that wind up in a published novel. And, well, even if his illness is impacting his work, he started out so far above everyone else that he's still operating at above average quality.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 23:40 
Administrator

Quote:
I finished Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam.
The Time Being wrote:
He also just may be plain running out of steam.
i c wut u did thar

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 23:41 
Veteran

;)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 20:13 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I've just finished Revan by Drew Karpyshyn, one of the Star Wars The Old Republic novels. There were places where I felt the writing wasn't as elegant as it might be but the story was excellent and also clarified a number of things I'd been wondering about in the game.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 21:38 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I REALLY need to finish Book Four of A Song of Ice and Fire, as Book Five will be coming in the mail tomorrow.

Also I started reading A Ton of Crap: The Bathroom Book That's Filled to the Brim with Knowledge which is probably what it sounds like. It's not really a "sit down and read" book, but rather more of a "read this while on the crapper" book, which makes sense, given its title.

I'm also very, very slowly making my way through Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 17:47 
Veteran

The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. Just finished book 2, The Scorch Trials, last night.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 21:03 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
re-reading the Machine of Death collection and its sequel

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 08:29 
Veteran

Almost done The Death Cure, the 3rd book in The Maze Runner series.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 10:03 
Administrator

I haven't actually started but I've taken Star Wars [Republic Commandos]: Order 66 off the shelf.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 11:11 
Veteran

Working through my stack of bookstore-sitting loot; also just finished Spock's World by Diane Duane while savoring her Young Wizards series. If you read any Star Trek novels, read hers, if only for the incredibly in-depth and beautiful astronomical descriptions. The woman is a genius.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2014, 12:34 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Nearly finished Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, the 2nd Locke Lamora book.

"Fantasy heist" is a criminally underused genre combination.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next