All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 16:52 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Funniest (1)
Finished Cold Days. It was quite good. Interesting to see Harry play with his new role, but I totes called the ending. Plus, I really like how he tied in the rest of the series, showing how all the 'little' things that happened in earlier books are part of a bigger problem.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 08:31 

Absentee (1)
I was just getting into Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when I discovered that I'm missing pages 65-84

Luckily, my Warriors and Legends books showed up - short story compilations that I bought pretty much exclusively for Martin's Tales of Dunk and Egg stories :3

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2013, 20:02 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I start The Dalek Handbook and finished it two days later. Great read for fans of the old and the new series. Traces the Daleks' timeline(s) in and out of canon from their first appearance up to the end of City of the Daleks, which was one of the BBC's interactive online episodes which if you aren't British or Canadian you never actually had a chance to experience. Actually strike that, I don't think Canadians had a chance either.

Anyway, it resolved a lot of outstanding canonical questions and conflicts, which is a pretty huge deal in Who Canon, and makes me feel like a Dalek Aficionado/Expert. In reality I wouldn't say one book could do that, but it does make you feel that way.

Furies of Calderon is still getting a few pages read here and there. I'll finish it eventually, but I don't think I'll read any more of the Aleren Series. They don't seem to be very good. Except Fidelias. I like him.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 16:58 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Finished Furies of Calderon yesterday. Switching back to Discworld now with Maskerade.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 00:59 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
When I'm not doing stuff for school I'm trying to get through Jesse Daro's Blood. The previous book, Skin, was flipping awesome. They're short reads.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 20:15 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I'm rereading Fellowship of the Ring for the umpteenth time.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2013, 00:21 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
So I feel the need to post these reviews, because damn if these aren't good books:

Skin: A Werekin Novel (The Ark Trilogy) (Volume 1)
I don't normally like to read my books on a computer; I don't own a Kindle so my only option was to read this on my PC. I decided to give it a whirl, and I was not disappointed.

Jesse Daro creates a story unlike any other I've read. Her characters--forgive the cliche--seem to jump out of the pages and take hold of you as you read. I found myself caring for quite a few of the characters, all the way down to the family dog. One of my pet peeves with some writing is when characters seem to know more than they should or make decisions that don't make sense given the knowledge that they have. This is not a problem in Skin; the characters come across as believable people with responses that echo those that real people would probably make, mistakes and all. The emotional responses Marshall and Seth have, especially in regards to their personal interactions, tug at the heartstrings and remind me of relationships some of my friends have been in. I found myself rooting for them to make good decisions. I'll leave it to you to find out if they do.

Though the plot is incredibly complicated, it is well-crafted and creative. There are plenty of twists and turns which on occasion left me confused, even if only for a few pages. I found myself unable to take a break and ended up reading it in two sittings: once when I read the prologue and the first two chapters (I had only meant to read the prologue) and then when I sat down and read the rest of the book (also not my intention at the time). My only major complaint, really, is that there isn't a print version available. If one comes out, I will not hesitate to grab one. I would love to see more work from Daro and have already purchased The Last Days of Israel, which is the next book on my to-read list.

Blood: A Werekin Novel (The Ark Trilogy) (Volume 2)
I'm a grad student. I'm pretty busy. I have research to do, homework to finish, classes to teach, papers to grade, an internship to complete... I barely have enough time as it is to eat, sleep, shower, and do other basic things.

I read this in one sitting.

I could. not. stop. reading.

Once again Daro outdoes herself by sending me through emotional turmoil. I became invested in characters I never expected myself to care about, wrapped up in a plot that twists and turns like nothing else I've read in recent memory. I am completely impressed with her ability to draw in readers and make them feel very real, very raw emotions, and to actually care about where the story ends up. It is a quality I have not found in an author in a very long time.

Honestly, if Jesse Daro wrote 100 books in her lifetime, I'd read all of them, if they were of the quality that Skin and Blood have been. I'm downloading the last book tonight, and The Last Days of Israel is still in my reading queue.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 18:36 
Administrator

I finished Maskerade yesterday; very possibly the funniest Pratchett novel I have ever read, which is really saying something. Probably earned itself a place in the Pratchett Top 5 with Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and Mort.

Started Feet of Clay, but I'm literally only on page 5 or something like that.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 08:32 

Absentee (1)
The Transport and Main Roads guide to Queensland road rules and driver safety for my upcoming learner's test :~

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 10:55 
Administrator

I heard that's a really good one. Apparently there's a whole series with Taxes as the main character.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 17:25 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Talk of linguistics and languages in the chat box has made me think about the two books I have on the go.

I'm part way through Die volle Wahrheit, which is the German translation of Terry Pratchett's The Truth, but it's been on hold for quite a while because my Japanese teacher lent me 返事はいらない(Henji wa iranai - No reply needed) by Miyuki Miyabe and I'm working my way through that gradually. It's a slow process because it typically takes me about an hour per page with looking up unfamiliar vocabulary and unfamiliar kanji as I go.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 21:30 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I've just read Kiki's Delivery Service, which is a Book, apparently, and I didn't find it terribly much better than the Film, simply different. It also covers a much longer Space of Time, chronicling the whole Year, and some Events happen in different Orders. I did not enjoy it as well as I did the original Book of Howl's Moving Castle, which I have also recently reread, and I think Kiki's Delivery Service may well be a Case of liking the Film better than the Book.

For Coursework, I've been reading a great Deal of Poetry, some of which I've really liked, including Matthew Arnold's 'The Scholar-Gypsy' and Christina Rossetti's 'Goblin Market'.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 23:31 
Veteran

Fables. I went to my first comic shop the other day and I picked up issues 1-5 (in trade paperback form) while I was there.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 10:51 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Finished the new Discworld book last night.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 11:18 
Administrator

David wrote:
Was it as good as it was in all those dreams I had about it?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 12:44 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
Zeth wrote:
David wrote:
Was it as good as it was in all those dreams I had about it?
You might have been wrong about the luchador bees (depending on whether or not you thought there would be any), but otherwise yes.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 16:41 
Veteran

WERE there any?

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 16:50 
Veteran

Funniest Member (4)
Sadly, no. We live in hope.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 17:20 
Root Administrator

Third book of ASOIF. They kind of take forever to finish.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2013, 03:12 

Best Newcomer (1)
I'm technically still reading Pete Townshend's autobiography, which I started a long time ago and have been sort-of-reading off and on, but for the holidays I just got Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov and And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave. Pale Fire is at the suggestion of my favorite professor/academic adviser after I described House of Leaves (which might be my favorite book) to him, so I'll have to find some time when I get back to school to relate my thoughts to him, though I don't have any classes with him next semester.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2013, 17:43 
Veteran

I'm curious: what's the Appeal of House of Leaves? I've heard about it, but never thought about reading it.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2013, 19:50 

Best Newcomer (1)
Well it depends, really. Everybody seems to get something different out of it. Some people find it to be incredibly frightening, which is why I wanted to read it, but I never got that impression at all. As for my basic description, there are two (and a half) stories that the reader is exposed to concurrently on the page. The main text is framed as a scholarly analysis of a film that supposedly exists by a man named Zampanό, so through this the reader is exposed to the events of the film ("The Navidson Record") as well as Zampanό's analysis (including numerous footnotes and references). This main body of text is also manipulated structurally at times, paralleling the events of the story. Visual layout is highly important. The next level is that the manuscript for this book by Zampanό was found after his death by one Johnny Truant. Johnny takes it upon himself to sort through the text and compile it from the pieces left, providing his own footnotes (in a different font) about the process along the way. However, in Johnny's footnotes the reader is also exposed to the events of Johnny's very interesting life, either as it affects his work on the text, how the text affects him, or other events surrounding him. This is where you really get to see Danielewski as a writer, contrasting Zampanό's plain academic style to Johnny's free-er, more poetic (at times) style.

The "half" story in that refers to certain inferences the reader can make about Zampanό and his life from the text.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 13:35 
Veteran

Finished Fables not too long ago. Now I'm working on collecting Batman Year 3 from 1989 and I'm gonna read those ASAP.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 17:01 
Veteran

Over the last few Weeks, I've read the first two Books of C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy — namely Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra — and found them rather intriguing. I would call them a Fantasy set in Outer Space rather than Science Fiction, for there is really little Science involved, and, other than highly unrealistic Spacecraft, what Science is is of little Importance. This being Lewis, they are, of course, a little more philosophical than they need to be, though I do find his fantasticised Theology in itself interesting, including his Portrayal of Satan not as a clever, scheming Tempter but as a profoundly irritating, petty, unpleasant Thing which can put on or take off Intelligence at will (preferring the Latter), and with which it really WOULD be torment to spend Eternity.

I've also found myself reading a collection of Short Stories titled Boy by a Japanese Filmmaker named Takeshi Kitano, of whom I had never previously heard. I found them quite intriguing, though the Translation could have used some Work. It contains three Stories, which variably give Glimpses into the Boyhoods of three unrelated Individuals. I found them all rather charming in their own quirky Ways.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 19:58 

Absentee (1)
we did a lot of driving over the break, 70+ hours of it, so I got a lot done:
Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork City Watch books up to Thud! + The Colour of Magic
Ryan North's second Machine of Death compilation, This Is How You Die
the entire Alivin Maker series by Orson Scott Card
Jack Ludlaw's The Pillars of Rome

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next