All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What are you reading?
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 00:22 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Well, I gotta admit, when I first got the first Codex Alera book, I read some of it, and then it ended up on the shelf for a while, and then I picked it up again and finished it and thought, "Hm, that was good" and then back on the shelf it went and then finally, a few years after I had gotten it, I realized I needed to read the rest of the series, so I read it again and got the second book...and then read the rest of the series in the course of about five months.

So, uh, hang in there, is what I'm saying.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 07:07 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
About to finish Game of Thrones for the nine millionth time and start on Clash of Kings for the nine millionth time.

Don't judge ;[

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 09:35 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
No judgement here. :D

Game of Thrones is something I've been meaning to read for about the last six months but never quite get around to it.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 19:12 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Since no-one else is posting in here, I'm going to double post.

Discovered my son had Game of Thrones (and the rest of the series). He's lent them to me. I started it while we were on holiday and I've become totally hooked.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 00:09 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. One of my least favorite of the bunch when I was younger.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 21:24 
Veteran

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Suggested by my best friend who read it. He doesn't like to read much, so I am sure it's a good book but I can't seem to find a want to sit down and read it for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 12:04 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
It wasn't bad (somebody recommended it to me, and I read it over the Summer during a Beach Trip), though I didn't like the Sequel very much.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 10:51 
Veteran

I was talking to my friend last night and he said things should be picking up soon and I will like it better. He just started the sequel.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 11:15 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Nobody Dies.

It's... different.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2012, 18:10 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I just finished reading Skin, which is the first book in the Ark Trilogy. I really liked it and recommend it to anyone. It's only $2 for Kindle or Nook, and if you're like me and don't have either, you can read it on your Mac or PC so long as you install the Kindle app.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 11:33 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Since I gave Furies of Calderon a break I've been reading Dark Side of the Sun by Andrew Dymond. It's a Farscape novel based on the TV show, set sometime in Season 2, I'm pretty certain. I don't know what to make of it so much. The premise is really great and the guy really seems to have a firm grasp on what it means to write science fiction. But his characterisations of the, er, characters roam all over the place from dead on accurate to complete absurd, and while most of the typical characters' descriptions seem to be pretty okay (if they exist--not all of them do; taken with a grain of slat because it's probably assumed that anybody reading the book is a fan of the show) but then you have parts like the descriptions of Moya (which are frequent because a large part of the plot revolves around her) which makes it sound like the characters are moving around in a swamp on James Cameron's Pandora instead of a an acceptably technological spaceship.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 19:04 
Veteran

How many Farscape novels have there been? I see them pop up from time to time but no matter where I find them I've only seen maybe about four distinct ones.

I just got done reading Rivers of London, aka Midnight Riot in the US (really not sure why they felt the need to change that), which is an urban fantasy novel written by Ben Aaronovitch, who did a couple of classic Who episodes. And damn was it good! That was the first book in what seems like over a year of bored depression that I've actually felt excited enough about to have a hard time putting it down. I'm not entirely sure what endeared it to me so much-I think it's just that I've read, or at least started to read, so much crap urban fantasy that even if I hadn't been interested in the plot or characters or magic system I would have read the whole thing just to experience prose that was actually enjoyable. Which is not to say that the plot and characters weren't interesting on their own.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 11:39 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
So far as I was aware there were only three.

Found this, and it pretty much sums up popular consensus on the topic (also it's enjoyable to see them staying somewhat in character):
http://fansoffarscape.proboards.com/ind ... &thread=19

In any case, just sayin: writing Farscape novels for publishing would be the best thing ever.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 12:35 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Sounds like an incentive to extend your current project. :D

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 16:51 
Administrator

Finished Dark Side of the Sun, so I figure I'll return to Codex Alera now.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 23:30 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium. I've got Clausewitz lined up after that. I could only bring two books with me to Idaho, so I at least made sure they were big books.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 14:13 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I've finally finished A Clash of Kings (book II of the Game of Thrones series) and have just started in book III, A Storm of Swords.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:13 
Administrator

Hit The Furies of Calderon again hard today, knocked out 8 or 9 chapters. It's gotten better, I guess--it does hold my interest now, since the various plotlines are starting to coalesce and there's some neat spy intrigue. But there are still some glaring things that bother me.

I find I really like every character individually and isolated (except ironically Tavi, the debateably main character whom I kinda hate) but I really don't like them altogether. They're all really smart, beautiful, rational people, which I can see on a case to case basis because people like that certainly exist, but it seems like everybody in this setting is a superperson in some facet or another. The only people who aren't really handsome or beautiful are people who are very obviously evil thugs, and so according to the older than paper trope are described as being really dirty and ugly.

I also don't like the massive number of coincidences. I can't really go into this without giving away even larger spoilers than I'm accustomed to, which is saying something.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 09:41 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Buuutcher! Buuutcher! Buuutcher! I'm getting ready to read Cold Days, the most recent installment in his series The Dresden Files, which all of you should check out if you haven't already. It's aaaawesooooooome. It came in yesterday, I just have to go down to the bookstore and pick it up. The Codex of Alera books are pretty good (from my experience--I've only read the first two), but IMO, The Dresden Files are his magnum opus(es). Super pumped for Cold Days.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 00:28 
Veteran

I just finished Cold Days yesterday.

I liked it. It's still got a lot of 'WHOA THIS IS REALLY BIG' stuff going on, but it kind of takes a step back from the 'shocking revelation/change to everything you know every two minutes' feel of the last two books and goes back to being a little bit more like the earlier books, where there's a sense of stability if only a very slight one below all the tension and chaos. I don't know if that really describes it too well, but it's like...there's more of a sense that locating and dealing with the problem at hand is the primary thing once again, whereas the last two books seemed to be focused on delivering as many rapid-fire Reader Punches as possible. That was a good thing for those two books since it proved that Butcher was willing to shake up his own franchise in a way that very few writers are, but I'm also happy to know that he also knows that he can't keep constant tension up too long without it snapping. Which is not to say that this book doesn't have any shocking revelations. It has a ton.

The one thing that bothered me was
Spoiler: show
every damn person in the book has to give Harry a lecture on how being the Winter Knight will most definitely lead him down the path of evil evil evil. I get it, it's a really big deal, and it's right that the story should make a big deal out of it, but it just got annoying after a while. It was basically the same lecture every time and what really got me was that every time it happened Harry reacted as if he'd never even thought about the matter before that. I thought maybe that was going to be some subtle foreshadowing that the Mantle was making him unable to really grasp the concept, so that every time he started ruminating over 'this is going to turn me into a bad person if I don't watch out' the thought would eventually slip away from him until someone reminded him of it again, but it never panned out that way. It doesn't help that we've already been down the 'Harry must fight against evil influences' road with Lasciel, so it doesn't have as much impact for me because it's like, whelp, been there, done that.

Also, Thomas's reaction upon first seeing Harry really bugged me. Here we have a man who committed suicide because he was so ashamed and afraid of what he might become, and your response is "how dare you offend me" ? Egad. It doesn't help that Thomas's comparison is not really accurate-there are a lot of White Court vampires out there in the world, but there's only one Winter Knight. Harry has the potential to become a much bigger monster and a much more dangerous threat than Thomas. Then again, Harry's life already seems to alternate between his enemies constantly trying to kill him and his friends constantly berating him. Show him some love! The man's only saved the world how many times?

^ Regarding Codex Alera...this may not be strictly accurate, but I always got the impression that generally in the series, if you have power in one sense, you have power in another sense. Everyone but Tavi has furycrafting abilities, which automatically make them more powerful than us, not just in the elemental-control sense but in a lot of subtler ways. The idea seemed to be that if you have powerful furies you're likely to also be very charismatic and strong of personality, because...that's just how it works. But that could just be me making that up.

Anyway, if you're enjoying it now, you're probably good to go, because the spy intrigue just gets pumped up more and more as the series goes on. And the villains do get a lot better and a lot more complex (trust me, there are definitely evil pretty people)-so much so that it took me a minute to realize what you were talking about, but then I realized the first book is pretty heavy-handed with 'I will rape everything' Kord and the Herdbane guy.

I'm curious why you hate Tavi, though.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 22:15 

Absentee (1)
dinowoman wrote:
I've finally finished A Clash of Kings (book II of the Game of Thrones series) and have just started in book III, A Storm of Swords.

Take it slow; the longer you take to finish, the less time you'll spend waiting for Winds of Winter ;(

I'm making my way through Stephen Slater's The Complete Book of Heralrdy, but I have to get through all the history stuff before I can start studying the science.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 03:23 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I think I'm gonna have trouble taking it slow. I finished book III last night and went straight on to book IV. ;D

When's Winds of Winter due out?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 03:37 

Absentee (1)
Well two years ago it was 2013, last year it was 2015, now there's talk that he might have to split it in two like he did with Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 11:44 
Veteran

So, about the same time that Episode 3 comes out, then.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 13:34 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I've just read Peter and Wendy, which I found very nice.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next