All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Steam
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 13:56 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
So has anybody else been experiencing Steam wanting to update every other day for like a week now? I haven't actually been keeping track, so I gues that's probably exaggeration, but it seems to have doing so with much greater frequency lately.

That having been said, what are the general impressions of Steam now? I mean I think it goes without saying that if you like PC gaming at al you're still a big fan of Valve in general, but I mean the Steam client itself. A lot of mixed feelings seem to rise over Greenlight (which I don't really understand, since if you don't like it you can just ignore it with no difficulty; I didn't even notice it was there for a while after it started), and it seems to be a bit flakier now in terms of connection and chat freezing up than I recall it being when I first got it. I noticed three or four updates ago they added a brief little history of conversation with a person at the top of chat windows, but I know what I'd really like is a chat log. Filesharing would be really ace too, although I can understand why Vlave wouldn't jump on that. If they did I can see Steam handling it really well though.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Steam
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 14:06 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I essentially use Steam as a secondary Chat Client, though it has been doing some odd Things, such as saying something to do with Beta Testing was finished; I also cannot access it via the Connexion in the Library (I suppose it must be blocked), which is somewhat bothersome. I have not had the same Problem with Freezing, but I likely do not use it near as much as you do.

The Client itself is in French (I tend to prefer Language in the Order of English-UK, French-FR, English-US, so a few Programs I regularly use are), though I doubt this affects anything.

The little History Thing is... kind-of nice, I suppose, but without logging, strikes me as rather pointless; Filesharing would be nice.

Also, "Vlave" made me laugh a little.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 17:56 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Although I've bought a couple of games on Steam, until I get a computer that can actually run games, I'm also using steam pretty much just as a secondary chat client (and I confess I don't even know what Greenlight is).

But yes, it does seem to have been having a lot of updates. I presume their beta testing (and then completing it and returning to the original version) must have been a reason for a number of them. I haven't had too much problem with random freezing or disconnections just recently, though I did for a while not long after I started using it, but I've become aware that it's been going down briefly almost every evening for routine maintenance, and I don't recall that being common until very recently.

I like the little snippet of the chat history - that's quite helpful for reminding me of what we last talked about - but I do wish there were chat log and file sharing facilities. I try to remember to manually save the chat to a file before I close the window, but sometimes I forget and, inevitably, the one time I wanted to check back on something I'd said in a chat, that was the one I'd forgotten to save. :P That being said, when I mentioned wishing Steam provided a chat log to someone or other (I forget who) they pointed out that it's necessary to keep it resource-light so that people can use it while gaming without it having any impact on the running of the game.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 19:18 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Every day for the past like three weeks. I thought something was wrong on my end.

I don't like Greenlight because it's fake transparency and doesn't actually help indie gamers. As for Steam itself, it's fine.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 19:45 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I've noticed it having a lot of updates lately but honestly I haven't thought much of anything about it. Hadn't noticed any more freezing or other problems than usual.

The one thing I have noticed lately is a problem when playing Bioshock (it's the only Steam game I've been playing lately, so I don't know if it would happen with other games); when I go to start the game, sometimes it won't start, but then when I try to start it again it'll tell me that it can't start the game because the game is already running. Exiting Steam and logging back in fixes it. Then again, this is happening on the computer that is like the equivalent of 90 years old, so I don't know whose end that's a problem on.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 01:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
The Time Being wrote:
The one thing I have noticed lately is a problem when playing Bioshock (it's the only Steam game I've been playing lately, so I don't know if it would happen with other games); when I go to start the game, sometimes it won't start, but then when I try to start it again it'll tell me that it can't start the game because the game is already running. Exiting Steam and logging back in fixes it. Then again, this is happening on the computer that is like the equivalent of 90 years old, so I don't know whose end that's a problem on.
Mm, it would do that to me playing KotOR now and again too. And at least once with KotOR II, though I didn't play that one very long, so it probably woulda happened again.

I also wish the Steam Overlay would work with SWTOR.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 04:47 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
If you check the task manager when that happens (ctrl+shift+escape), you'll usually find that the launcher.exe or something has frozen and you can just end that process without needing to exit steam.

I haven't really seen any steam updates at all, but that's probably a timezone thing. Team Fortress 2 seems to be updating every other day, but I digress.

I'm always signed out of the chat client - I use skype to talk to people, and then I exit skype and go play games to isolate myself. So I don't really have any opinions on that. I never really looked into Greenlight either, so I'm curious about what Crystal said...
Regardless, Steam is an excellent service. Gabe claimed he could beat piracy by providing a better user experience than they could, and so far it seems to be working pretty well. I personally transitioned from pirating everything I wanted to buying a thousand games I didn't want in a matter of weeks.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 11:42 
Veteran

Myke wrote:
If you check the task manager when that happens (ctrl+shift+escape), you'll usually find that the launcher.exe or something has frozen and you can just end that process without needing to exit steam.

See, I've been doing that, though, and there's no sign of the game or anything else in the task manager. That's what's confusing me.

It's a pretty minor issue, though. What annoys me more than that is that the Steam overlay throws a hissy fit whenever I try to use it on that computer-it lags when coming up and flickers on and off, especially when I try to use the web browser. But the overlay works fine on the other, much better computer in my house, so I'm preeeeetty sure this one is just the fault of my own decrepit technology.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 13:58 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Myke: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1768 ... istent.php
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/a ... s-new-fee/
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... and-wrong1

Those are just a few of the complaints.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but there are some things Greenlight needs to take care of.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 20:09 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
The Time Being wrote:
It's a pretty minor issue, though. What annoys me more than that is that the Steam overlay throws a hissy fit whenever I try to use it on that computer-it lags when coming up and flickers on and off, especially when I try to use the web browser. But the overlay works fine on the other, much better computer in my house, so I'm preeeeetty sure this one is just the fault of my own decrepit technology.

Oh I see this happen sometimes, too - but my machine is a frankenstein cobbled together from hand-me-downs, so yeah hardware is likely the fault.

Belle wrote:
Myke: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1768 ... istent.php
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/a ... s-new-fee/
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... and-wrong1

Those are just a few of the complaints.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but there are some things Greenlight needs to take care of.

Thanks, I feel pretty informed now. It's clearly a complex and multi-faceted issue, but it's also clear that intelligent minds are working on it. I guess we'll see where it goes.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 21:15 

Albert Clare wrote:
I also cannot access it via the Connexion in the Library (I suppose it must be blocked), which is somewhat bothersome.

It's blocked at my school as well. Must be something to do with public connections, unless these places are actually aware of Steam and don't want people connecting to it for whatever reason. I just use it in offline mode to play games there.

Anyway, I've noticed it updating a lot too, but it's not really a big deal to me. A quick restart and I can do whatever I opened it to do. Steam is pretty much my chosen client when playing PC games, because if I have games that aren't on a particular client or aren't on one I use a lot (like Desura) I'll probably never play them. I've made an exception for Origin recently because I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect, but otherwise, I do almost all my PC gaming on Steam, so I like having it.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 22:06 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
According to their Website, Universities and other such Things related to Learning tend to block certain Ports; whether this is for Security or because they do not wish you to use it other than for educational Purposes, I do not know (and it probably varies from Institution to Institution). I'm certain somebody involved in it somewhere probably does know what Steam is, and that this can interfere with it...

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2013, 21:02 
Administrator

So I think this is of relevance to the vast majority, and will be to all of us sooner or later:

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/f ... 172549318/

Not noted: there is actually a second font-size parameter juuuuust below the one mentioned in that post that controls the Text INPUT font size. You'll wantto change that too.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 21:06 
Administrator

A couple things have changed in the patches/updates to Steam that have applied since the last post here, so I thought I'd keep you guys informed of how to revert the font-size if any of you so desire.

>Basically, navigate to: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\resource\styles'

>Open 'steam.styles' with a text editor. I just used Notepad, but I also like using Wordpad--both should work just fine here; I would avoid using bigger clunkier word processors like Open Office, Microsoft Office or things like that, since they may apply formatting that could screw things up. I don't KNOW that for certain, but you never know, and you don't want to break things.

>'Ctrl+F' (or whatever your key combination for search and find is), then type in 'font-size=16'.

>Change all instances of the above to 'font-size=14'. I forgot to count, but there should be like six instances or something.

>You are done.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 00:23 
Veteran

Much obliged.