All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 13:51 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I know a lot of people have a Formspring.me on this website, and as I was looking for support on a problem I've been having with mine, I found a lot of websites that talked about Formspring.me controversy. I wanted to see your point of view on it. I haven't gotten any harassment on mine, but apparently a lot of people have gotten some on theirs...

Pro
On Formspring.me, Anyone Can Ask You Anything. And You'll Love It.
To Write Love on Her Arms - Some Thoughts on Boycotting Formspring in Response to the Suicide of Alexis Pilkington

Neutral
Teens abuse, find comfort in anonymity on Formspring.me

Cons
Harassment by Q&A: Initial Thoughts on Formspring.me
Do your kids use Formspring.me? Part One Part Two

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 14:43 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Seems to me that any way for one person to communicate with another is open to the same problems.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2010, 17:17 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I'm with David on this one. Any given social networking operation is open to abuse, no matter what kind of security measures are in place--I doubt anyone would really challenge that fact. But something like formspring.me is basically the same deal in a different package--albeit a package with decidedly less tape holding stuff in.

I believe natural paranoia would serve people well if they choose to use the service. Could be fun if you play it smart. Could be deadly if you play it wrong.
And when it comes to the latter, I doubt anyone I know is stupid enough to answer the more obvious endangering questions, and also think most of the people I know are intelligent enough to sort out the more subtly suspicious ones.

To the people I don't know, who may not fit what I just said...Well frankly I'm not that nice a person.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 14:57 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I think the main problem here is that there's no way to block someone from sending you abusive messages, because it's all anonymous. Maybe you can block other users but there's nothing stopping someone from harassing you on another computer or something. While this can also happen on MySpace or Facebook, it's a LOT harder to do than on Formspring because the abuse comes from an actual account.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 16:13 
If it were me, I'd just ignore them.

I use Formspring mostly as a characterization tool for #poketwitter, so there's no harm. I wouldn't mind seeing what people really wanted to know about me, though. The problem with Formspring is the same problem you get all over the internet, and is the basis of Penny Arcade's GIFT (Greater Internet F Theory) - anonymity + audience = . Being the bigger person and not addressing the supposed "issues" the abuser has with you is simply the best way to go.

You could, however, opt for the fourchanian approach and troll the hell out of them. :3