All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Writing Game Code
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 11:47 

Hey, I'm trying to make my own Zelda game using GameMaker, I have all my sprites and have made the village of Horon. (I know I'm copying, I'm going to make my own when I figure this out)

On GMaker, there are code tools so you can programme movement etc. Buut, I want to learn how to use actual codes like:

if hspeeed>0
then
[insert code here]

That sort of stuff. So yeah, if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be fantastic :)

-Hayley

[align=center][font=Tahoma][COLOR=Magenta]♥ B[/COLOR][/font][font=Tahoma]r[/font][font=Tahoma]e[/font][font=Tahoma]n[/font][font=Tahoma]d[/font][font=Tahoma]o[/font][font=Tahoma]n [/font][font=Tahoma]U[/font][font=Tahoma]r[/font][font=Tahoma]i[/font][font=Tahoma]e [/font][font=Tahoma]= [/font][font=Tahoma]Love [/font][font=Tahoma][/font][/align]

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 11:47 

Uhh, I think I put this in the wrong place XD I just read the bit at the end saying nothing to do with video games...but this is more technology right?

[align=center][font=Tahoma][COLOR=Magenta]♥ B[/COLOR][/font][font=Tahoma]r[/font][font=Tahoma]e[/font][font=Tahoma]n[/font][font=Tahoma]d[/font][font=Tahoma]o[/font][font=Tahoma]n [/font][font=Tahoma]U[/font][font=Tahoma]r[/font][font=Tahoma]i[/font][font=Tahoma]e [/font][font=Tahoma]= [/font][font=Tahoma]Love [/font][font=Tahoma][/font][/align]

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 11:53 

There is a game on The Gaming Universe called Open Zelda that lets you prtogram everything from movement, weapon stats and behaviors, boss behaviors, as well as a ton of other stuff.

http://openzelda.thegaminguniverse.com/

You can also use this, but it is more or less click and drag:

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

[font=Times New Roman]There are a million reasons why the universe refuses to conform to your idealistic views...I\'m one of them. -Me-[/font]

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 17:49 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
[QUOTE=NitrousOxideGiggles;37902]Uhh, I think I put this in the wrong place XD I just read the bit at the end saying nothing to do with video games...but this is more technology right?[/QUOTE]

Ummm...yeah, I think you're right, this is more programming then video games, I think you'll find more responses that you're looking for in here than the Video Game forum, but who knows, I could be wrong. If it's in the wrong place, don't worry, a mod will move it accordingly. I think it's okay here.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 22:31 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I asked a programming friend of mine, and he said not to use Game Maker. He also recommends you don't do anything with Zelda considering it's a copyrighted entity. You're better off making your own stuff.

As for programming, he has a topic pinned somewhere but it's not loading, so I'll edit in the link when it loads again.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 03:30 

Medals: 5
Absentee (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (1) 2010 Fanart Contest (2)
For 2D styled Zelda games, one of the RPG Makers is better for starters. I've actually seen decent games with that engine.

As for the whole copyright thing, unless you plan to sell this (or simply make profit in some way, like gaining site hits, or simply more members to your website) or expose it to masses like a verticle of your creativity (like a lot of noobs out there saying they are "recreating" stuff with their awesome abilities to crack, hack and recode), then I see no wrong with doing it. It's a fan game made with a non-nintendo engine.

As for coding, it's been 6 years since I last used GM effectively; it saddens me that I forgot most of it. I know some RGSS2, but I don't even remember if GM goes with that.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 01:40 
Baby, as long as we keep each other in our heart, our love for eachother will never apart. nike shox r4 torch nike air max tn [url=Nike air max 90]nike air max 90[/url]