All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Do you have a PC, Mac, or both?
only have a PC 68%  68%  [ 19 ]
only have Mac 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
have both 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Mac VS PC
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 00:01 

My family has always used Apple computers, so I kinda prefer them.

In terms of my computers, I have both. But that's also because I'm one of those horrible people who built a PC and then hacked together the kexts so that I could run Mac OS X on it ^^. I only boot up the Windows 7 partition for Visual Studio and video games.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 02:28 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
I've only got a laptop at the moment. It's a PC mainly because it's pretty hard to build a laptop from scratch and Macbooks are too underpowered for my taste. I am of course, too much of a gamer to really consider using a Mac as a desktop. In addition, too much of my work relies on independent development tools (since I can't afford to buy the professional ones) and they tend to run better on Windows and Linux not because they're better systems, but because more of that program's users run Windows. If I could find a Mac which could run at the same speeds as my laptop, but without the VistAIDS, I would gladly switch to it if it didn't mean half my dev tools become useless.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

Post subject: My Macophilia
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 12:58 

Sigh...I was scared of this forum when I first saw it posted. This is going to be a long emotional post so for those of you not wanting to read it you should stop now

As a Developer rolling on macs I must say I love it to death now moreso than ever before. I started and grew up cursing macs name for centuries. Yes centuries!! I hated it before it was even concieved.....or me for that matter. Also as a hardcore gamer I pretty much kicked Mac through the mud on the way to school. It wasn't until my senior year of HS where I actually started to use OSX 10.4 Tiger in art class. At first I still hated it, then things started to make sense. Armed with a Wacom pad I...liked Mac. However I still didn't own any or have the duckets for it. College time came around and I still loved my beautiful custom hacked Sony Vaio (I still do in fact, we often have our love affairs ^_^). However during college, all development and coding was done on the mac using the god-sent free coding environment called xcode. XCode is by far the thing I love the most about macs and have had countless comparisons with windows devs on. its a programming environment that I would have to make a video of in order for anyone to believe its capabilities from being free software. Even now so the things I love about macs are the software and user interface. OS X leopard series and even tiger are the nicest, prettiest, and most smooth OS I have ever seen as well as the apps apple makes for their users are seamless.

Now all of the above talk is my own preference of mac. The following is more on why I'm in love with mac so i will place that in spoilers to save any poor innocent reader.
Here is the "How mac saved my life" kind of soft talk that i would NEVER speak!!
[SPOILER]so to clarify I must admit that I am a little biased on this issue. Apple's customer service and company kindness personally helped me and my friends, sure they are cocky as all hell but that over-looked they have done a lot for me personally. My first mac (a sexy black MacBook which they dont even make anymore) was donated to me since as a rising sophomore i alone didn't own a mac of my own to develop on. They also funded my robotics team and we now have 15 Desktop iMac and Mac Pros running in our lab complete with software and now concurrently running linux. They also fund events like campus moviefest, which is how I won my second Macbook Pro (which was sold to bare my desktop Mac of sexy seen on my facebook) and they also helped in small development competitions which is also how i received multiple iPod touches that helped fund my iPhone experience. While getting iPhones (third gen of course) my friend was forgotten by accident while waiting in line, plus having some BS problems, so in response they handed her the iPhone she wanted for free (yes i was extremely jealous as i waiting with her as well >.<). While Attending a programming camp at apple HQ (that THEY flew me out for) I'd had the best experience and kindness I've ever experienced at any programming function before AND it was FREE!! Every meal we ever ate or wanted was FREE!![/SPOILER]

Phew! that was a mouthful...........(thats what she said x.x) <- totally blame my friends for that

But to some it all up, I love Mac not only because of the kindness they've shown to me but because i completely love their products. They are a good company and I've seen far to many people speak poorly of them without even bothering to use their products from the anti-apple fanclub approach. on the real, apple has had right click going on for many years now....it is no longer an appropriate excuse, and now that its running with Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmereâ€

-------------------------

Still can\'t help but love you Rock Lee!!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 13:58 

I'm a gamer so I'm not getting anywhere near Macs.. ever. They are just months behind the latest hardware you can get for PCs, and when they come out it's more costy than the newest available hardware for PC, seriously?

Also, I've always bought all the parts for my comp separately. You can get whatever you want, it's sooo much cheaper.
Honestly, I could get a Mac if I wanted to, but why the heck would I when I can get a comp with much better specs and spend less money?

Oh but "they don't get viruses". That's because Macs are so unpopular nobody even bothers writing malware for them.

I don't even want to get started about the software compatibility issues with Macs.

PCs > Macs

[align=center][font=arial]Pueden robaaaaaaarte el corazón,
cagarte a tiros el morón,
pueden lavarte la cabeza por nada.
La escuela nunca me enseñó
que al mundo lo han partido en dos,
mientras los sueños se desangran por nada...

Pero el amoooorrr es maaas fuerte <3[/font]
[/align]

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 15:22 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
I think it's pretty suffice to say whether you prefer Mac or PC depends on what you actually need your computer for.

NOT ONE THING IS BEST FOR ALL PEOPLE. MACINTOSH, LINUX, PC, ETC IS NO DIFFERENT.

To say everyone should have this or everyone would prefer that is just fucking stupid; it's always matter of personal preference.

As a graphic designer, I would avoid PC's like the fucking plague. But if I were a PC gamer or I downloaded a lot of random shit, I would opt for the PC.

It really depends on what you need out of your computer. Disregarding other people's needs doesn't make your chosen hardware better; it just make you more ignorant.

Kthxbai. :<3:

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 16:15 
Veteran

In terms of the operating system, I'm largely ambivalent. I've used both extensively and have no difficulties switching between the two. They've both got their quirks, but neither one has any major problems. There are fewer viruses to screw up Mac OS, but I don't get viruses on Windows so it's a non-issue to me. Windows has the games market cornered, which shifts me solidly into the Windows camp.

The big comparison for me, however, is hardware. I'm capable of building my own computer - and really, most people are, especially with a little help their first time around. Mac & PC prices are much closer these days than they have been in the past, but both are significantly overpriced when compared to the cost of parts directly. I can buy anything I need more cheaply, and don't have to buy anything I don't need. I save a bundle.

The only thing I will truly rag on Apple about is their peripherals. Using their mice still feels like stepping backward about 15 years in terms of ergonomics, simplicity, and convenience - and they want to charge $60 to boot. While they don't lock you into using their peripherals, they do embed the cost of their peripherals into the price of their systems, which is just as bad. If I wanted to buy a Mac but use a decent mouse, I'd have to buy my mouse again.

As a user, I don't mind using either system. As a consumer, the cost-to-performance ratio of the PC components industry blows Mac completely out of the water.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

[QUOTE=strawberry_sparkles;64596]
As a graphic designer, I would avoid PC's like the fucking plague.[/QUOTE]

Obviously, people should use what they're most comfortable using - but you seem to be saying here that graphic designers in general should be using Macs, or that a graphic designer on Windows will be less effective/productive/able-to-produce-quality-work than he would be on a Mac.

I don't know why this would be the case anymore, given that the hardware and software are identical these days. Could you explain?

[QUOTE=Crystal Shards;29781]Linux isn't a computer type. It's an operating system.[/QUOTE]

Arguably, the same is true of Mac since 2006.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 17:33 

As a graphic designer, I would avoid PC's like the fucking plague.
[/QUOTE]

I have two close friends that are graphic designers and they both use PCs. I also asked one of them if there's any shortcoming with PCs when it comes to graphic design and he says he can't think of any. Can you please explain a bit more?

[QUOTE=Deathmagus;64600] As a consumer, the cost-to-performance ratio of the PC components industry blows Mac completely out of the water.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.

It really depends on what you need out of your computer. Disregarding other people's needs doesn't make your chosen hardware better; it just make you more ignorant.
[/QUOTE]

I disagree with you there Rachel. There's nothing you can do with a Mac that you can't do with a PC. Simple as that.

PS: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-PCs-vs-Macs-Microsoft-Trashes-Apple-151410.shtml

[/align]

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 20:31 

Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
Didn't bother reading that article because that statement was completely ridiculous.

Sorry. :p

I'm pretty sure it's obvious why more than two graphic designers own Macintosh computers.
I honestly hardly feel like arguing about it, though. Too busy.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 21:30 
Veteran

[QUOTE=Simba;64632]There's nothing you can do with a Mac that you can't do with a PC. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

Not quite true. Target disk mode is pretty cool, and some industry standard programs like Final Cut Pro aren't offered for Windows.

Also, you can't dual boot OS X/Windows unless you're on Mac hardware, though that's really an (intentional) limitation of OSX, rather than a limitation of non-Mac hardware.

[QUOTE=strawberry_sparkles;64644]
I'm pretty sure it's obvious why more than two graphic designers own Macintosh computers.[/QUOTE]

When something is obvious, it's usually very easy to simply state the obvious, rather than going on about how obvious it should be. Then the rest of us could just slap our foreheads, say "Gosh - that was obvious," and go about our business.

Frankly, Strawbz, your response is a bit baffling and disappointing. I can't count how many times you've railed about jerks who tout the superiority of PC over Mac. How many times you've just wanted people to live and let live. Yet you've done the exact opposite in this thread. With the statement "As a graphic designer, I would avoid PCs like the fucking plague", you've slipped solidly over the line of personal preference and stated that Macs are better for graphic design than PCs. The implication here is that graphic designers who use PCs are in some way less effective, less competent, less efficient, or in some other way inferior as graphic designers. When asked why that would be the case, given that the software and hardware related to graphic design is identical between systems, you cite the often-mentioned (though rarely substantiated) claim that the vast majority of graphic design is done on Macs, assume that if such is the case, it must be for a reason that is relevant, and then summarily dismiss the answer as "obvious", and effectively call Simba and I stupid (or at least unobservant).

I've been doing web development for slightly under a decade. As a developer, I have to be a designer - for several reasons. For starters, I have to take raw sketches that designers churn out, and tweak them so they'll work within the constraints of the system we're developing in. Often, I'll receive designs that simply can't be built precisely as drawn without major development hell (slices, anyone?), and it's my job to re-factor the whole design into something that can be built and served from the servers we have available to us. Other times, development changes call for a change in design, and the change is either too small or needed too rapidly to warrant running it through the design team. They need the change now, and the change has to work with the overall design - then it's my job to make it work. Additionally, as the final person to work with a site before it goes live, it's my job to fix all the little mistakes that designers let slip through. Put bluntly, I've done a lot of work with design, the vast majority of it on a PC. Now, thankfully, I don't do enough full-blown day-in/day-out design to find your remark personally offensive. But you can bet that any designer who uses Windows exclusively would find it extremely offensive. Your comment insinuates not only that they're somehow deficient in their occupation, but that they're so oblivious as to be not even aware of it.

The "design is better on a Mac" mentality is an outdated holdover. It's a claim that dates back to the 80s and 90s, when print and color support was better with Apple systems. Back when purchasing a Mac actually meant getting different hardware, and being able to run software that simply wasn't available on PC. Apple products got a reputation as "artistic" and the platform with a wider software support (Windows) was declared the "business" computer. Apple themselves have tried to milk this for all it's worth with their "I'm a Mac" advertisements - people like being thought of as "artists" - it's why Macs are the "cool choice."

But the bottom line is that there's simply no legitimate argument for why using the same software on the same hardware can be considered a massively different experience. Once in Photoshop, the OS goes away.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 21:31 

[QUOTE=strawberry_sparkles;64644]Didn't bother reading that article because that statement was completely ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]

It's not. PCs can do everything a Mac can do. The fact that Macs have sightly better software for Graphic Design for instance, doesn't mean you can't have great results using other software made for PCs.

Oh and don't worry, there's hardly an arguement here anyway. PCs rule the sales market for a reason.

[QUOTE=Deathmagus;64656]Not quite true. Target disk mode is pretty cool, and some industry standard programs like Final Cut Pro aren't offered for Windows.[/quote]

Yeah, I've read Final Cut is awesome, but it's not like there isn't Edition software for PCs? -shrugs-

[/align]

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 22:21 
Veteran

[QUOTE=Simba;64657]It's not. PCs can do everything a Mac can do.[/QUOTE]
No - I gave some examples.

Quote:
The fact that Macs have sightly better software for Graphic Design

No. Industry standard for graphic design is the Adobe Suite, which is cross-platform.

Quote:
Yeah, I've read Final Cut is awesome, but it's not like there isn't Edition software for PCs? -shrugs-

Of course - there's video editing software for PCs (though I've never heard of Edition).

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 09:39 

[QUOTE=Deathmagus;64659]No - I gave some examples.
[/QUOTE]

Yup Magus, I didn't mean literally everything. If PCs could do every single thing a Mac can do, Macs wouldn't even be on the market :P

[/align]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 09:55 
Veteran

[QUOTE=Simba;64666]Yup Magus, I didn't mean literally everything. If PCs could do every single thing a Mac can do, Macs wouldn't even be on the market :P[/QUOTE]

Yeah...I was a bit tired yesterday...

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 11:32 

I have both.

And i find equal value in each for different reasons.

Harmony ftw?

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 13:52 

[QUOTE=AngelAndrius;64669]I have both.

And i find equal value in each for different reasons.

Harmony ftw?[/QUOTE]

Thank fucking god.

You two?: :facepalm: Just forget it. People are entitled to their own opinions and frankly, there's nothing I can say or do that will obviously change yours so let's just drop the fucking thing? Thanks.

EDIT: OH yeah, I also knew my reponses wouldn't be nearly good enough before I'd even tried posting. That's what happens when you don't have much time anymore and frankly, I regret commenting on this thread in the first place because I just don't have the time for arguing online with strangers. I'll delete my posts, mmkay?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 15:05 

I've never had problems accepting people's opinions when they actually present valid points :)

It's a shame you get annoyed so easily and just rather avoid the whole subject! But oh well :P Each to their own I guess.

[/align]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 15:15 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Personally, It's not that I find Macs worse than PCs, I just find that a PC works better for my own needs. I rather think that PC does have more things going for it when looking at it as a gamer, but PCs also have more PROBLEMS (VistAIDS comes to mind) than Macs do. In the end, it's a calculated gamble; I get more access to stuff I want, but in return, I get more access to stuff I DON'T want.

@ Strawbs: Don't delete your posts. They had good points and contributed to the discussion, which is what a good post should do.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 00:14 
Veteran

I'm more of a PC kind of guy. I've been used to working with them for years. Plus, the mouse and shortcut commands are easier to use than the ones used by the Mac.

(Seriously, three buttons for copying text?!)

ImageImagehttp://vdexproject.net/user.php?user=9972

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 00:39 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
Um....
Um.... (this is copy-pasted)
There's only two. Apple-C, and Apple-V to paste. It's just like ctrl-C and ctrl-V.

Unless of course you're talking about something completely different. XD

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 08:33 
Veteran

[QUOTE=KatieKat;64706]Um....
Um.... (this is copy-pasted)
There's only two. Apple-C, and Apple-V to paste. It's just like ctrl-C and ctrl-V.

Unless of course you're talking about something completely different. XD[/QUOTE]

I think it was different back when G4s were sold. Could be wrong, though. Didn't start using macs regularly until university.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 00:11 

[QUOTE=Deathmagus;64710]I think it was different back when G4s were sold. Could be wrong, though. Didn't start using macs regularly until university.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you're misremembering. Copy/paste has been Command+C & Command+V for Mac OS X for sure (even back on the G4s) and looking at the copy of OS 9 that I got on here, it looks like it was the same back then too.

Speaking of shortcuts, a fun read about a certain keyboard conflict back with the first multi-tasking program for the Mac (Switcher) and Microsoft Word

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?project=Macintosh&story=Switcher.txt&sortOrder=Sort%20by%20Date&detail=medium&search=switcher

The site is a fun read for those interested in learning a bit about the development that went into the first commercially successful GUI computer.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 18:48 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Wow Strawbs. Blowing people who have taken the time to state coherent arguments in favor of calling them stupid and not backing up your own statements is really not your style, and isn't becoming on you at all. Disappointing.

And for your information, more than two graphic designers (you're looking at one) use PCs.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010, 17:12 
Veteran

Sorry had to do this, Il leave this alone again now!

The Hardrock hero and the Rock 'n Roll god!
When dreams fade away
It won't be long
End up singing the same old song
What went right, What Went Wrong
Bad times here, Good times gone

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 19:45 

Yeah, yeah. It's amazing how many errors and problems Windows can have when you have no idea what you're doing in the computer.

[/align]

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 21:30 

[QUOTE=Cataphrak;64683]Personally, It's not that I find Macs worse than PCs, I just find that a PC works better for my own needs. I rather think that PC does have more things going for it when looking at it as a gamer, but PCs also have more PROBLEMS (VistAIDS comes to mind) than Macs do. In the end, it's a calculated gamble; I get more access to stuff I want, but in return, I get more access to stuff I DON'T want.[/QUOTE]

OMIGOD. SOMEONE GETS IT. :facepalm: Thank you.
Yes, I'll admit I was a bit harsh and annoyed at the time, but honestly, I'm really tired of hearing all the arguments over who's right and who's wrong in console wars and I was frankly fed up of the bullshit arguments. (This isn't just for consoles.)

I think it's truly ignorant that people who say one thing is better for EVERYONE than another thing when they don't even consider other people who have different purposes for using their own computers.

[QUOTE=Crystal Shards;64795]
And for your information, more than two graphic designers (you're looking at one) use PCs.[/QUOTE]

Okay, um...sorry if this sounds harsh, but there are more reasons why a Mac might be more preferable than a PC and I'm talking about someone who does this for a professional living. Not just designing web graphics that deal only with 72 ppi for a hobby, I'm talking about the practical applications of ALL ASPECTS GRAPHIC DESIGN including exporting to your clients in an optimal fashion, printing and sending straight to a press, everything. One thing you first consider is the software that already comes with it (that doesn't involve downloading a lot of crap to your computer.) Hell, even the default typefaces are better on most applications and that's just one lowly (yet extremely significant) portion of owning one. I've yet to see a PC have Helvetica (one of the most important and most acclaimed san-serif typefaces) anywhere listed in their default font menu selection.

When you purchase one, there are many options already there for you to move forward in a multimedia format. With iLife software, it makes editing images, movies, and music far more streamlined than it would using Publisher or something with a similar purpose. When designers use a Mac, they generally prefer the experience more than when using a PC for doing the same task, because the Apple’s interface and OS is targeted towards users who want to design, edit, and have an overall general better experience. So not only is the software tend to be better, the exporting process a lot better, etc; many times, when a job interviewer for a graphic design company asks you if you've had any prior experience or know your way around a Mac, it's usually a pretty damn good thing because Macs are often the industry standard. (With many companies exclusively using Mac.)

This doesn't mean PC's suck (and I actually don't ever recall saying that, but I do say that downing one thing because it's not your opinion is stupid and I still stand by the argument) but please do keep an open mind in the future.

This post is really just scraping the tip of the iceberg but, yes again, I really honestly have no time for this because I've got to get back to James and I've got one hell of a headache. I'm really done arguing with this and I just don't have a lot of time for this anymore.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next