All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

Do you have a PC, Mac, or both?
only have a PC 68%  68%  [ 19 ]
only have Mac 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
have both 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Mac VS PC
PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 07:50 

I remember from my welcome thread that some people tend to really not like Macs but we couldn't get into why that was. I'm curious, what do people hate/like about PCs and Macs and what do you like most about them and which do you prefer? I'll post my response soon (I'm a bit pressed for time ATM).

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 08:52 
I haven't used a mac since I was in high school. And even then the ones we had where outdated. So I don't have anything against them, I just have not used one enough to really form a opinion of them.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 11:04 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
I have a Mac. I got it about two years ago, and I haven't had any major problems with it. The only time I use a PC is when I'm at home and need to print something. Or if there are no Macs open in the computer lab.

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 13:02 
Veteran

I never had anything against Macs until I was in 11th grade when I used them in graphic design class. The things just suck. They're so much different than PC in the worst ways possible. I'll just stick to my PC for now and forever.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 14:30 

Compatibility, really. I'm too much of a gamer to ever really consider a Mac. I know that with VMs and emulation the Mac is way better on this than it used to be, but we all know the Mac is never going to be a gaming computer.

So zetta slow!

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 14:48 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I've never used a Mac so I'm not really in any position to judge, but I get the impression that more software is designed to run on a PC than on a Mac, so I'll stick with the PC.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 14:51 
Veteran

Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
One advantage that Macs have is you can install Windows and have the option to run both. The computer Andrew built has both on it that are perfectly functional.

I also like Macs because, on the two years I've had mine, I've never had a virus. My parents' PC needs virus scans on a regular basis to get rid of spyware.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 15:25 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
[QUOTE=dinowoman;29734]I've never used a Mac so I'm not really in any position to judge, but I get the impression that more software is designed to run on a PC than on a Mac[/QUOTE]Pretty much, as far as I'm aware. But it's worth bearing in mind that that's including viruses and the like.

Personally I use a PC, largely because it's what I'm used to (That, and I don't remember seeing any Macs on the two occasions when I've actually been looking for laptops). Don't think I've ever even used a Mac, though I'm curious what they're like.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 15:28 
Veteran

Once you get used to where everything is, and how it works, I think they're easier to use. For me, it was pretty easy to switch from PC to Mac, but now when I go back and use a PC, I have to think for just a second about where to find stuff. I can still find my way around, but I've gotten used to my Mac.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 16:21 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I love both. I only own a PC but I use a Mac when it comes to my internship and I have no problem switching between them or using either of them. Macs (in the past anyway) are better for graphics and are a bit easier to set up peripherals on (like printers, etc.), but PCs are good for gaming and have a better option for programs (even though Windows can be used on Macs, many programs cannot) and games and stuff.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 16:45 

Medals: 1
Best Graphic Artist (1)
I have a PC at home, but i use a mac for my HND all the time. Mac is much better for 2D and 3D Art.

[align=center][CENTER]Image[/align]
Il patriottismo è la virtù del vizioso.

[/CENTER]

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 19:34 

Medals: 4
Most Serious (3) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1)
I have Windows on one and once I get the other computer setup it will have Linux

It just goes to show never stick your dick in a pudding. It might still be good pudding and you can spend all afternoon explaining that, but no one\'s going to eat because you stuck your dick in it! - Ben \'yahtzee\' Croshaw

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 23:30 

There's a lot of things I like about Macs and things I don't like. I like OSX, it has a clean layout, easy to use (easier than Windows once you get used to it IMO), doesn't get as many viruses as PCs do, etc. I dislike the one button mouse thing that most of them have, very limited amount of games you can run on them, and I also dislike how expensive they are.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 00:26 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
[QUOTE=Golden Warrior;29757]I dislike the one button mouse thing that most of them have[/QUOTE]

Actually on most of them you can make it so when you right click as you would on a PC it does it, whether there are two separate buttons or not.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 17:26 

I'd vote for Linux, but since it isn't on that list, PC.

[align=center][CENTER]Image[/align]
[align=center]Astral Void Records:[/align]
[align=center]For the best Metal CD\'s,Games,Movies, and more![/align]

[/CENTER]

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 22:17 

I left Linux off the list because it can run on both PC and Mac. When I think of PC vs Mac it's not just Windows vs OSX; it can encompass a lot of other things too.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 22:33 
Root Administrator

[QUOTE=Sigur Rós;29773]I'd vote for Linux, but since it isn't on that list, PC.[/QUOTE]

Linux isn't a computer type. It's an operating system.

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 22:38 

True Crystal.

I use a PC and have never used a Mac. However Macintosh computers are a lot better when it comes to multimedia editing compared to a PC.

[align=center]Image
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]And from the ashes...
I was reborn...[/font][/align]

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 08:49 

'nuff said

But seriously, I'll take a Windows PC over a Mac, yes, Macs might have less viruses, be easier to use, rarely crash, and be better for multimedia stuff. BUT Macs are 'spensive stuff, and I like the fact that with a PC you can pretty much put it together piece by piece to your own liking. With a Mac you take what Apple offers you and that's it.

Additionally, if a part on your PC breaks outside of warranty you can browse many shops and manufacturers and pick the cheapest part with the best quality. When something on your Mac breaks after your warranty expires.... heh, I know of someone who simply went ahead and bought a PC after she was faced with what the repair bill would be like.
Another problem is that when something is wrong you have no choice but to return it to the Apple shop you bought it at and then wait until they get it back from the workshop.

So in short, while Macs may be better in certain aspects, I despise the sheer iron grip they have on their market.

That and for gamers PCs are the way to go. Though someday I'm going to try one of those open source operating systems.

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 11:40 

Medals: 1
2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1)
I find Macs too easy to use.

They hold your hand and guide you through everything. This would be useful to someone new to computers or not so tech savvy, but it just slows me down. And I resent that.

Oh and Macs crash all the time. The Macs I've used don't crash any more or less than the PCs I've used.

Gotta love music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAnkwiK9_s
It\'s always nice in my opinion

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 10:57 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
i'm the only one who has both? odd...

I love PCs because I can play my video games on it and the programming software I can use like VB.net, C# and RPG maker 2k3

Macs are also good because they're faster then PCs, way fewer viruses out on the web for them, and I found it easier to use PS CS4 on it.

there is 1 problem though...

I'd rather have a Desktop Mac then a Lap top, and a Laptop PC rather then a desk top...

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 13:11 

Strange...i have found creating art on PCs to be easy.....oh well PCs ftw.

Macs...I have a video on my laptop about how troublesome macs are.

[font=Times New Roman]There are a million reasons why the universe refuses to conform to your idealistic views...I\'m one of them. -Me-[/font]

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 14:18 
Veteran

Care to share?

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 16:56 
Root Administrator

[QUOTE=Kennori;29842]i'm the only one who has both? odd...[/QUOTE]

Crystal doesn't have that kind of money...

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 17:35 

[QUOTE=KatieKat;29846]Care to share?[/QUOTE]

I wish I could, but the file won't upload. I will try to find a link sometime and post it here.

[font=Times New Roman]There are a million reasons why the universe refuses to conform to your idealistic views...I\'m one of them. -Me-[/font]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next