All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mercury Image Hosting?
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 19:34 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
So I pitched this at Les first to fish for a reaction and decide if it was worth pitchin' at the rest of you guys. A little lead-in first:

I have a big need for imagehosting on general principle, though the frequency with which I upload new stuff fluctuates erratically over time. I hate photoshop because it has a tendency to modify files if it picks some arbitrary issue with the format, not to mention has a UI that probably slaughters noobie graphickers with every outmoded and oversized mechanical gear-grind it may unsurprisingly utilise to work.

I used imageshack for a time and was ok with it, despite it also having a slightly fugly UI and site design mind of Craigslist, but then it started crashing frequently, and even when it wasn't crashing it would be very slow to return my images and sometimes would just 'lose' them. No reason was ever provided or evident; sometimes images just stopped being there.

Then ClanSoul set up his little MFS and I started using that. However, I've noticed that the php scripts it uses (evident in URLs that are read like: '.../readfile.php?file=username/directoy/image.format/') are just, well, not usable at all on some sites. They won't read the URLs properly, or some other technical whatnots I don't understand and really shouldn't have to if all I want to do is upload an image, share it, and then forget about it (presumably so that others can see it in a gallery or tutorial or somesuch). Lately, ClanSoul's MFS has been crashing or otherwise unresponsive frequently as well, and that's no good.

So I was wondering if it would be of interest to people to set up a little imagehost in conjunction with Mercury.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 19:42 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
This is possible, in case anyone is wondering. If it is of interest, I approve.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 12:21 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
As I told Ethan last night, I'd be very interested in an image-hosting facility here. I've never been very happy with Imageshack's UI, and Photobucket (I don't think you meant Photoshop, Ethan :P) resizes larger images, so, although I use both, I don't find either of them ideal. And ClanSoul's one has the irritating characteristic that if you try to save an image that's hosted there it can only be saved in .php format and can only be viewed in a browser. A simple image host that leaves an image in exactly the same state that it was uploaded in would be extremely welcome.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 15:02 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
Off topic slightly, but I'm having an issue with the cursor in the quick reply box. It's not deleting characters properly, and I can't readily move it around the box. This explains the random 'w' at the end of this message.

On topic: I've actually been meaning to build a portfolio, but don't have the means to buy a url at the moment. I have a flickr and photobucket account, but I find flickr difficult to use, and if you provide a url to a photobucket, I have a feeling potential employers would just delete the application on principle. w

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 20:43 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Odd about the quick reply box; I normally only experience issues in the reply entry fields when italicising things.

And yeah, photobucket or whatever.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 15:04 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
This sounds like a fairly good Idea; I've been having my own Troubles with Photobucket lately.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 21:14 
Administrator

Right, so, I've not seen any dissenting opinions. I'll look into getting things set up in the next week or so.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 08:56 
Administrator

Just to update you guys on this: it's not been forgotten or anything; I found a really great software and it's ready to install, I'm just having some trouble with this one dependency. :S