All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Alie Day
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014, 22:39 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
So as some of you know, I have a good friend currently dying of cancer (some of you might remember her on here as Whisperwings, from way long ago). Ali has been an important person in my life for nine or so years, which is almost half my life. We graduated high school together in 2007. I don't know that there ever is a person who "deserves" to get cancer, but if there was ever a portrait of someone who didn't deserve it, her picture would be right up front. She's a talented artist with a warm heart, whose family is first and foremost in her life, and she's far too young to have something like this happen to her. Despite all that, she's kept a positive outlook and has been keeping high spirits. I'm going to miss her so much.

Some people on Tumblr have created a day called "Alie Day."

Quote:
21 January is Alie Day.

My friend Alicia, also known as Alie by her friends and family and wisteriaprincess here on Tumblr, was diagnosed with stage 4 live cancer at the beginning of the year. After a few complications the doctors have found that the cancer has spread too far and they have given this wonderful girl only 4-6 weeks left to live.

To help show our support for Alicia and to create Liver Cancer Awareness we will be wearing green on 21 January. I kindly ask that you also wear green on 21 January to help create awareness for Liver Cancer and to show not only Alie, but every liver cancer sufferer, that they are not alone in the world and that we are thinking of them.

Post your pictures of you wearing green on 21 January here on tumblr and tag them “Alie Day” and also submit them to Ruebarb and she will collect all the photos.

We also ask artists, writers and all creatives to create a piece for Alie Day.

Please help spread the word by reblogging this post.

I wanted to move forward on that as well, and from here on out, every January 21 will be Alie Day here on Mercury Ice. You can consider it our own sort of holiday, along with our board anniversary. Additionally, I wanted to invite you to participate in Alie Day however you would like. If you're an artist of any sort--be it photography, drawing, physical media, music, writing, you name it--feel free to post it here. You can post pictures of you wearing green if you'd like, or donate to the American Liver Foundation (US), the CORE Charity (UK), or any other charity in your home country in her name. If you feel comfortable sharing that you donated, you're welcome to do that. Even if you just want to say something small, that's also a possibility. And of course, you don't have to do anything at all. This is all your choice.

If you have a Tumblr, you're also invited to post your stuff on there with the tag "Alie Day" or submit it to Ruebarb (link above); you can post it on Twitter with #AlieDay as the hashtag; or you can post it on Mercury Ice's Facebook page. If you don't have a Tumblr/Twitter/Facebook or whatever, you're welcome to post it here and say, "Hey, Crystal, put this on [x]," and I will do it for you from my own/Mercury Ice's account. Again, you don't have to participate, but if you would like to, you're more than welcome to.

In any case, thanks for taking the time to read this. You're all awesome people.

Ali (left) and myself (right)

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

Post subject: Re: Alie Day
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 17:40 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Attachment:
mi0OOsbZ.png
mi0OOsbZ.png [ 650.29 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

Alie and Jack Frost from the SMT franchise
By dtn

Attachment:
Bdz_pa8CUAERpVQ (1).jpg
Bdz_pa8CUAERpVQ (1).jpg [ 54.85 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

Attachment:
Bdz_sKzCAAA3uYK.jpg
Bdz_sKzCAAA3uYK.jpg [ 68.97 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

Attachment:
Bdz_u2oCUAE6plr.jpg
Bdz_u2oCUAE6plr.jpg [ 33.21 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

Attachment:
Bdz2CFJCUAAgJYY.jpg
Bdz2CFJCUAAgJYY.jpg [ 26.51 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

Lissy and her favorite Weasley(s)
By doloresdelcorazon

Attachment:
1504274_581680588576227_862829932_o.jpg
1504274_581680588576227_862829932_o.jpg [ 100.66 KiB | Viewed 2004 times ]

I figured I would show Slytherin's support for our favorite Hufflepuff.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 17:47 

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1)
I'm not a fan of pictures of myself, but:

Attachment:
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG [ 399.86 KiB | Viewed 2002 times ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 22:21 
Root Administrator

Quote:
A thing I drew in honour of Alie Day which in Australia has already come and gone, whoops. I don’t own any green clothing and I don’t like putting my face on the internet anyway, so I drew a portrait (ignoring, of course, that I don’t get how things like shadows and wisteria work).

Though I don’t know her personally, what I do understand is that Alie has brought a lot of joy to the people that have come to love her. I can only hope that I’ve done her justice.

By Lorekky

Quote:
in honor of Alie Day
I had drawn Alie her own Jack Frost doll! My Tales of plushies are my face on the internet but they are not green.

However I have a sea of green. In bed. (⌐■_■) Yeah I’m not funny

by dtn

Some of you may recognize these people's names from Mark's streams, so I felt they were relevant.

Lola and Hinata also wore green today but I don't want to post their pictures without permission. My boyfriend also surprised me with a picture after work.

David should post his picture he had up. =)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 22:31 

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1)
Lola gave me permission, so:

Attachment:
BejIodtIcAAULmp.jpg large.jpg
BejIodtIcAAULmp.jpg large.jpg [ 31.49 KiB | Viewed 1980 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 12:52 
Veteran

Medals: 4
Funniest Member (4)
Crystal Shards wrote:
David should post his picture he had up. =)
Ah, fine. :-\

I barely remembered in time that I didn't actually have anything green, but there was a green t-shirt in my size going cheap right by the entrance of the first shop I checked on the way to work on Monday. Which is kind of... ridiculously lucky, now that I think about it.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 14:26 
Root Administrator

Today I lost a very good friend of mine to her battle with liver cancer. I don't really have the words right now to formulate how I'm feeling, but if I'm not around a lot or don't respond to texts or whatever for a while, don't take it personally.

I want to take this time to thank those of you who wore green on Alie Day or took the time to make her presents in absence of my own artistic ability. I'm not in the mindset to list everyone (it was a really overwhelming response, seriously you guys rock) but know that it means so much to me that you participated, even if you don't know her personally. She seemed to really enjoy the presents she got and the pictures of people wearing green for her, and I will be eternally grateful to all of you for helping light up her life.

Please consider donating to the American Cancer Society or the American Liver Foundation in Alicia Gutscher's name. She will be missed by my family, among many others whose lives she touched.