All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Blogs
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 17:00 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Until I actually install the blog mod (which I'm hesitant about doing right now), I've made a blog forum, under THE CATEGORY THAT MUST NOT BE NAMED, for anyone who doesn't want to update the Confessional with certain information (or, like me, you tend to type so much it stops feeling like a post). Guests and newly registered users can not view the blog at all. You have complete power (or at least you should) over your own threads (limited one per user). You can mention in your blog whether you want people to respond or not, etc.

I SHOULD eventually be installing the blog, which would let you have more control as I understand it, of even what members are able to see your posts, but I want Ethan and I to be online at the same time in order to install it in case something screws up, and that might take a while.

Let me know if you experience any issues or have any questions.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

Post subject: Re: Blogs
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 21:20 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
The substitute forum!blog actually seems like a really cool idea for the people who want blogs.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 11:36 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Yes, I like that idea, and I suspect it may well be easier to navigate than I used to find the old vB blogs.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 18:36 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
The old vB Blogs were AWFUL.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 19:35 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Well the Demo Board for what I was going to install looks like this and these are some of the features:

A small feature list:
* Categories can be made with unlimited subcategories and branching.
* Each user has their own page to which they may post new blogs to.
* Comments can be made to blogs.
* Soft Delete - Blogs and Replies, when deleted, are first soft deleted. Administrators have a permission setting to allow them to permanently hard delete blogs and replies.
* Separated Templates. Allows you to very easily create or install separate templates for the User Blog Mod and allow users to select which templates they want shown for their blog. This uses the board default style for things like posting, so only 1 template needs to be built in order to allow users to pick it for their own template. You can see this on my blog here (currently I have the Blogger Clone as my blog template).
* Users may rate blogs.
* User Permissions - Users can set permissions for other users on a global or per blog basis, letting them decide if they want the users to not see the blog, be able to see and read the blog, or be able to see, view, and reply to the blog. Users can set options for 4 "groups", Guests, Friends, Foes, and everyone else (Administrators and Moderators are not affected by user set permissions, and any permissions set by administrators in the ACP override any settings set by users).
* Plugins System - Allows you to not only easily expand the features of the User Blog Mod by installing user made plugins, but it also makes it very easy to make your own custom plugins which add features for your own board without having to edit the core files every time you upgrade. Installing plugins is usually very simple, and can usually be done by just uploading some files to your phpBB3 forum and clicking the Install button in the User Blog Plugins ACP module. A screenshot of the Plugins ACP module is attached to this post (the exact look of the page is subject to change).
* Subscriptions - Users can subscribe to receive updates via PM or Email when a new reply is posted to a blog or a new blog is posted by a user.
* Per user/group permissions - Integrates with the phpBB3 permissions system and allows a lot of control over what users can and can not do.

But if you guys like this better we can stick with this too.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2013, 21:45 
Administrator

Mm, well it doesn't make too much of a difference to me because I never use the integrated blog systems.

We'll need to make certain that the integrated blogsys is thematically consistent, though.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 15:37 
Root Administrator

Well guys I installed the blog. I haven't gotten a button for it up but you can find it here: blog.php

I've moved my posts there... I'll wait to see what Brooke wants to do with hers, and then I'll delete that forum.

Hopefully you guys find some use in it...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 15:41 
Root Administrator

Button added.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 16:18 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Clicking that results in it telling me 'You do not have the necessary permissions to complete this operation.'

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 16:22 
Root Administrator

So many user groups... Lemme fix that.

EDIT: Try now.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2013, 22:50 
Administrator

Interesting.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2013, 01:58 
Root Administrator

I'm trying to find a way to list the latest blog entry on the front page but it's not working out so well because RSS shouldn't stand for Really Simple Syndication. That way we don't forget they're there.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2013, 12:11 
Root Administrator

After some finagling, I managed to get the latest blog entry to show up at the bottom of the index page, after the stats. Hopefully this allows people to check for updates with relative ease. Please let me know if there are any issues or suggestions.