All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 10:04 

I have three more character sheets up here on my blog for those who are interested. Admittedly, Adrian is the weakest of the four. If I was doing them for an actual art team I would tweak all of them some more, but since they're primarily for my own use (and probably extra bonuses for completing the game) I'm not sure how much time I'm going to devote to cleaning them up later. I might do Serenity's today, but I'm not sure I've ironed her out quite enough yet.

Zeth wrote:
Is the coat slightly longer in the Professory Things image or is it just the perspective that's playing with me?

If you put them side-by-side (the way they were originally drawn before I arranged the sheet) then his suit coat should be roughly the same length in all of them. The curve of the lower hem, the split of the pant legs, and the fact his elbows are inexplicably at a different height in each image is making it look different me thinks. And his right (our left) pant leg in the far left graphic also seems on the thin side now that I look at it.

dinowoman wrote:
Mind you, I don't think it's particularly relevant - as far as I recall we only ever see him from the front in-game.

Currently that's correct. Whether it changes or not only time will tell, but since I needed these in part for the inevitable promotional art I decided to cover all the most important aspects of the character's look so I'd be prepared no matter what I decided to do.

dinowoman wrote:
I like this redesign. I had nothing against him before - his slightly scruffy, overweight version is very common amongst academic staff - but the new, leaner Waechter gives the impression of a more active, more-likely-to-get-involved-in-adventuring-stuff type of person. He also now looks slightly younger, which fits better with the age you gave for him earlier in this thread.

His sprite has always bothered me. It never looked anything like his original concept art, no matter how many times I redrew him. Here's the original character sketches from circa 2011:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 18:15 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Duuude, can I lay claim to that "failed attempt"? It's really awesome.

Also, was I the only one who immediately thought of Junction when that fertiliser plant in West blew up while people were being evacuated?

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 19:22 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I didn't hear about that. Clearly they were keeping it hushed up in case rumours about the junction leaked out. ;D

Zeth wrote:
Duuude, can I lay claim to that "failed attempt"? It's really awesome.
Agreed. I was admiring that until I saw the 'Failed attempt' caption. I actually prefer how she looks there than in the picture below it.

Of the character sheets in your blog, Adrian may be the weakest (though I didn't personally think there was anything much that made him significantly lower quality than the others), but at least he now looks the correct age. Your rough sketches of him in the version we played looked rather too young. Now he does look like a man who might have a son of Travis' age.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 21:34 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
I actually thought Adrian was one of the great improvements. The hair could use a little more detail, but he seemed wholly better than my previous conception of him.

As for if the failed attempt is better than the one below it or not, I think they're of equivalent quality, I just happen to really like the top one...just because I guess.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 22:02 

"Failed attempt" refers to failing to match an earlier sketch of her (I think; it's been almost three years). There's nothing wrong with it per se, it just wasn't what I was going for at the time.

EDIT: Given the following hairstyles, which would you pick? Which are your favorite? Least favorite?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 00:20 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
G is nice :~

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 00:57 
Administrator

It really depends on the character, but in general I would say A and B are pretty ace.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 08:55 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Again, it would depend very much on the character. I think all of A, D, E, F, G and H are nice, and I like K's fringe, but not the back of her head. But I'd need to know more about the character's role and personality to narrow it down more.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 10:18 

The character pictured is Serenity, for the record.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 12:06 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I would say A, B, F, or G.

D makes me think of Raven from Tales of Vesperia.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 12:37 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
D makes me think of Renji Abarai from Bleach.

But since I like Renji, that makes the hairstyle quite appealing. However, since it's now been confirmed that this is Serenity (I suspected it might be, but some of the styles were so different from your sketch that I wasn't sure), then I'd probably go with A or E, or F if you want a short style. G is also fine - it's basically A after she's moved around a bit, rather than as it would look straight after she's brushed it.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 14:29 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I like G. F makes her look remarkably androgynous. Though that may not be a bad thing, if that's what you're going for.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 16:36 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I rather like D — it makes me think of Riza Hawkeye — though I also rather like B; it's more practical than some of the longer Styles, but still looks rather feminine. E feels rather Schoolgirl-ish to me, and the last four all make her look rather like a Man...

(Riza Hawkeye, for Reference — note Hair swept up on Head.)

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 17:09 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I listed E as one of my options because I thought it looked practical. I imagined it might be the kind of style she might wear to keep her hair out of the way at work. But maybe I just see it that way because it's how I wear my own hair for work.

Edit: Just realised I'd typed D instead of E there.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 17:09 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
It's cute, it just reminds me of Raven. =P

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 23:20 
Administrator

DMAJohnson wrote:
The character pictured is Serenity, for the record.
There was any doubt?

Anyway: Could someone explain the appeal of G to me? It just looks...weird to me.

EDIT:
I suppose I did say it depends on what character, but I was thinking "characterisation". In any case, I was aware that was Ren.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2013, 23:48 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I don't particularly like G either... she looks like a really feminine Bishōnen in that one.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 00:09 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
Zeth wrote:
Anyway: Could someone explain the appeal of G to me? It just looks...weird to me.

the hair looks like hair and not like plastic

[s]still haven't found those fuses[/s]

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 00:16 
Administrator

But it lays all weird, like there's an invisible plane bisecting her clavicles.

As far as naturalness goes, E or F may take the cake.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 07:18 
Root Administrator

E makes her look like a teenager, though.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 09:49 

Myke wrote:
still haven't found those fuses

The locations of the fuses are:
Spoiler: show
In the box in the hall.

Behind the poster in the hall. "Take" the poster to find a recess with the fuse in it.

The jug on top of the cabinet in the generator room.
There's actually two solutions to this one.
You can use your pool net to reach it, or offer to give David a boost.

Use the knife to open the vent in the utility room (the locked room with the hole in the floor).

Use the pool net to search through the trash heap beside the flooded stairs.

The last one you can't get until you've solved the puzzle concerning the flooded stairs.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 10:03 
Administrator

Medusa wrote:
So does F, really, but they do look the most natural.

Note that A and B were my preferences.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 14:40 
Root Administrator

Zeth wrote:
Medusa wrote:
So does F, really, but they do look the most natural.

Note that A and B were my preferences.

I would disagree that they look the most natural, but to each his/her own. F makes her look less like a teenager than E does, but then again I've never been partial to ponytails.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 17:09 

Color scheme not final.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 18:05 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
So I see you've opted for G, despite Ethan's misgivings. XD

I like what you've done with her clothes, and I could definitely imagine her as someone's mum in the sweater picture. Her hands in the left picture look unnaturally stiff, but I think my main criticism, also in that picture, is that her hair doesn't seem to be bending at a natural angle for its position on her shoulder. The almost right-angled bend in it seems to suggest it's resting at something approaching the horizontal, which would be fine if it were falling near the top of her shoulder, but hanging down the front as it does, I could only imagine it sticking that far forward if she had enormous boobs, which she doesn't. In the other coat pictures her hair does seem to land higher up on her shoulder. It's not so much of an issue in the sweater picture because with the front view it just looks like it's bending sideways, which long hair often does if it catches on clothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next