All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2013, 18:24 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
To be fair G looks a lot better when you're looking directly at it from the front.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 06:28 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
DMAJohnson wrote:
Myke wrote:
still haven't found those fuses

The locations of the fuses are:
Spoiler: show
In the box in the hall.

Behind the poster in the hall. "Take" the poster to find a recess with the fuse in it.

The jug on top of the cabinet in the generator room.
There's actually two solutions to this one.
You can use your pool net to reach it, or offer to give David a boost.

Use the knife to open the vent in the utility room (the locked room with the hole in the floor).

Use the pool net to search through the trash heap beside the flooded stairs.

The last one you can't get until you've solved the puzzle concerning the flooded stairs.

no shhhhh that's cheating[s]yeah okay I really need to get this done[/s]

@serenity sheet: wow hot a what move over adrian
colour scheme looks gr9 imo

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 08:18 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Grine?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 11:10 

Absentee (1)
it's one better than gr8

Now that I have the first five fuses I've moved on to playing with the generator, but that apparently won't get me anywhere until I solve this flooded stairwell thing. I imagine it has something to do with the rusted valve in the fusebox/cipher room, but I've tried pretty much every combination of items and interactions I can think of at this point.
The only other items of interest as far as I can tell are the petrol-soaked backpack and the window to the showers, both of which I would really like to be able to shoot.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 11:38 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Are you playing the same game I did?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2013, 19:50 

Myke wrote:
Now that I have the first five fuses I've moved on to playing with the generator, but that apparently won't get me anywhere until I solve this flooded stairwell thing. I imagine it has something to do with the rusted valve in the fusebox/cipher room, but I've tried pretty much every combination of items and interactions I can think of at this point.
The only other items of interest as far as I can tell are the petrol-soaked backpack and the window to the showers, both of which I would really like to be able to shoot.

You're on the wrong track. You need
the pump from the utility room.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 05:45 

Absentee (1)
Ah. I never think of trying the 'take' command.
Speaking of which, finally finished.

Quote:
1. Do you normally play, or like to play, adventure games?
No, which is why I was so hesitant to do this. I'm glad I did, mostly.

2. What is your overall assessment of the game as it stands?
It's clearly a work in progress - I was kind of disappointed that there was no audio - but that doesn't even need to be said. I thought at first that the overall theming clashed with the aesthetics, but I changed my mind as I continued playing. The art style is charming, and the characterisation and dialogue is very believable. I especially liked the flashback segments.
I felt the pacing was also fairly strong, until I got stuck for twenty minutes
trying to open the garage door
. This is where I quit.

After seeing the plot in its entirety, I can say it was also a strong point of the game.

Quote:
3. Gameplay aside, what are your thoughts on the story as a whole?
It's a little juvenile? I'm not sure that's the right word, but it's the same sort of plot you'd expect to find in an anime marketed at ages 16-17. The darkest moment in the whole thing was
that creepy shadow you can see in the collapsed tunnel
, and I only felt really mentally engaged when
they started talking about realities without physics and the implications of such a world intersecting with our own

It got gradually more serious as you approached the climax, but
Serenity's impalement
wasn't explicitly shown on screen so it's still appropriate for a fairly young audience I think.

Quote:
4. Does it bother you that you're playing as a woman?
is this really a question

5. Does it bother you that the character you're playing as is not an AFGNCAAP but has some backstory and predefined relationships?
Not at all. I guess this probably matters for actual adventure game fans? Anyway, we were given plenty of leeway to express ourselves through dialogue so I don't see how anyone could complain.

6. How difficult are the puzzles? How could they be improved?
Mostly everything seemed to have a logical flow. I knew to
grab the chainsaw before I even checked the fallen branch, I unlocked the car almost the second the Professor said he had lost his ID
; the only things I couldn't figure out were
the bathroom cupboard and the garage door
. I might have if I had the patience to spend more time on it, but yeah.
(
What was up with the toilet paper anyway
)

Add the
fuse behind the poster and the stairwell puzzle
to the tricky parts.

Quote:
7. Did you ever feel "lost" in the game and not know where to go next or what to do?
Just the once.

A couple of times :~

Quote:
8. How are the (finished) graphics? Do they fit the gameplay and story?
Like I said, there's some initial dissonance: the art is very vibrant and stylised, but after a while that becomes the norm.

9. How are the non-player characters; what are your thoughts on them?
I fell in love with Travis quite easily, and the others were likeable enough. The teens were just irritating enough to be authentic, and on the whole there's a good dynamic of mixed personalities.
Picking on Adrian
was legitimately hearbreaking, but it made for good relationship development.

[s]10. How did you feel about the ending (if you reached it)?[/s]
x:

I found adult Adrian less appealing than child Adrian. As a kid he has the juxtaposition of dealing with his specific issues while also trying to fit in at school and developing his identity and stuff. As an adult, he still has to juggle these issues with his family stuff, but it seemed hollow somehow.
Anyway besides his lines I really liked the ending.

Quote:
11. What was your favorite and least favorite aspects of gameplay?
I disliked the interface almost from the start: needing to click an action and then an object and then right clicking and then selecting another action before interacting with the object again - have I mentioned I'm not a fan of adventure games? It would have been nice if you could right-click to leave when inspecting items like
the circuit box
, instead of needing to select move and then 'go back'. Everything doesn't always have to be a federal fucking issue, you know?

I guess my favourite is kind of contradictory to my stance on adventure games, since it's pervasive throughout the genre: the ability to check every plant and light fixture just to be sure.

I feel like it would have been nice if 'move' stayed on when you enter a room, just because of all the back-and-forth you have to do in the later sections. I'm just now remembering the hotkeys exist, so maybe that would have helped.

Quote:
12. What was your favorite and least favorite parts of the story?
The sequence at the beginning
with the bathroom mirror was great; having Serenity give herself a pep talk to help her get through the day
was very endearing. I don't know that I had a least favourite part, but it might have been
sitting through the Prof's explanation on Junctions after I had just spent the last half hour learning about Junctions

Pretty much everything after
the safe-room hatch
was also really good. The fact that
'taking' Travis
was the only thing that worked had a profound impact on me.

Quote:
13. Do you feel this game is commercially viable?
Sure.

14. How much do you think the game should sell for? How much would you be willing to pay?
$15 seems like a pretty comfortable marker but you might be able to aim higher. That's about what I'd be comfortable paying, anyway.

If this is the actual length of the game, then $15 might be a little generous, but still fine.

Clear time was 2:48:12, though it probably would have taken me another ~40 minutes to try the 'take' command on
the poster and the pump
I also noticed a couple of errors in the dialogue (Travis:
Is it because I said told you that I didn't like oatmeal?
), and some of the ending text spilled down out of the text boxes. I was playing in windowed mode at that point, so maybe that's an issue in earlier sections as well?

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 11:45 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
This is still a thing if people are interested!

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 16 May 2013, 18:37 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Medusa wrote:
I gave this some thought and I'm going to extend this until May 31 given that so many people have finals and stuff coming up, unless Dale has no more use for people to play through the game.

Also, should Dale release another build between now and then (I have no idea if he plans to or will have time to), those who played this build may play the new build and it will count as another person.

About two more weeks. Get your friends to play!

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 02:22 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Fox has been playing. I must get him to come and post.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 13:28 
Root Administrator

Excellent!

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 20:55 

A big thank you to everyone who helped out on this. :)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 11:28 
Root Administrator

If Fox has comments he should go ahead and post them. Otherwise this is over... for now.

/scheming

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2013, 05:25 

Just finished this after I got back from gaming at a friends house till like 3 in the morning. (If there's more than one ending, I'm not sure since I only played it through once so far, and I totally forgot to look at my clear time, it was prolly like 4 hours or something.) Nothing like Magic, League and Tekken for 8 hours. Needless to say it was a perfect time to wind down to some puzzles and take a break from stacking time counters and suspension tokens from linking artifact gear, then draft-pick team ranked games on picking a good team comp after bans are picked, winning the lane, teamfights and counter-jungling....and THEN going to Mishima EWFG combos. Why are games so awesome?

1) I used to play adventure games waaaaaay back when I was a youngin' (I'm 30 years young at the moment), but mainly have focused on console fighters competitively for the past 10-ish years, traveling for tournaments and whatnot. So needless to say I'm a pretty big sack of butt at the genre since I have ADD on a scale that's immeasurable.

2) Right off the bat, my assessment is that even though there's always more that could be done, I can ABSOLUTELY appreciate the work that was put into making this. Game-making is always a much more daunting challenge then ambition approximates in the beginning. I have a couple groups of friends working on their own game projects, and there's so much involved just in basic coding in some instances. But if the sound/audio is working for everyone, and some other basic stuff like coloring in items/surroundings, and since I can't hear the audio, I'm not sure if there's voicework to go along with the dialogue, but if not, I think it'd enhance the story-telling by quite a bit just stimulating another sense, so that way it just doesn't become just a click-and-read adventure.

3) The story I feel was quite interesting, and maybe one thing I'd suggest is have some more fun-filler stuff to develop Serenity and Travis's characters a bit more before Professor "Holy Balls Sh*t's Goin' Down Girl, Oh Hey Little Boy Everything's Coo" enters. =O I totally see the need to move the story into the meat and potatoes, so it doesn't drag. But maybe some stuff that gives them a bit more color and 'gravity' to want to be invested in them right from the get-go. And the cake WASN'T a Lie!!!! =O

4) I have no qualms as playing as a woman, it was just odd that I wasn't in the kitchen the whole time. *Ba Doom CHIIIISH* But gender really doesn't make any difference in this sense. There're lots of female mains in many genres, and truth be told, there's WAAAAY too many female mains in anime, I mean......dang yo.

5) I think for a story like this, there almost 'has' to be someone that has an identity of some sort. Sure, everyone 'wants' to be the main character of their own life story, and AFGNCAAP-ing it is an easy way out for writers and players like feeling like it's -them-, but I think it's much more interesting to get invested in a character that has something to go with it.

6) Most of the puzzles were pretty self explanatory, save a couple examples that have been mentioned already. Otherwise, I'm the wrong person to ask about how the puzzles were, since I really don't delve in the genre at all.

7) Briefly, but nothing hair-pulling long, just little hiccups and some explorative clicking solved and saved the day.

8) I'm also not a good person to ask about graphics, and not sure how to say if the art matched the gameplay and story. Although the facial expressions on the dialogue options was done well I thought.

9) The NPC's helped things keep from getting stale, and they did their role well. It's always nice to shine the showcase around so it's not just a main-character fest, and stuff like The Walking Dead game for example did a great job showing how that works.

10) I'm just glad it wasn't the Bioshock Infinite ending, I youtube'd that out of boredom one day, and I was like "Well.........." *throws hands up in the air* But yea a few things could've been fleshed out a bit more, and there's plenty of room to expand and lengthen the game and story, just a thought.

11) Favorite gameply aspect - Yea, I was doofed when I found chainsaws, like Whaaaa? Did I crash it by clicking something and making a confliction? After reading here I felt relieved that I didn't bust the game.
Least favorite gameplay aspect - Just getting stuck, D'oh.

12) Favorite story aspect - I played as a hot chick with a hot name. Joking aside, probably when the 'bass drops' and goes into weirdo mode. Always neat to do escape reality-ish stuff with a pinch of creepy.
Least favorite story aspect - Ending didn't really meet the buildup.

13) This will probably be the part of the critique where I'll feel actually able to give well-based input in a way. I honestly feel this game 'could' be currently commercially viable, but I'd highly suggest adding sections of the games, almost like mini-game portions to break the text-heavy adventure. So that way for people who like to be more 'involved' and play a game that 'feels' interactive, I feel it's absolutely crucial to put more action-oriented segments, and if done at the right times could REALLY make the player more immersed in what's going on.

14) Well, I could easily see this game do great as a game available for a smartphone/tablet market. Currently maybe like $1-2, especially since it's an Indie title, gotta start somewhere! But also scope out other puzzle/story games already out there and size it up an contrast and compare.

Great job on the game though, and hope it takes off!

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 20:06 
Root Administrator

Hey guess what! Dale took a break from Junction to do a shorter project. I am going to continue this favor/contest/whatever this is by letting you play this game as well. The game is called Another Star and it's a classic RPG, so plenty of people should be interested!

Game here
Site here

I don't know if Dale is looking for feedback, so unless he drops by and says, "Hey can you guys answer a couple questions for me?" all I need is a screencap from where you got to.

If you're even thinking about doing this you probably need to download it soon as I'm not sure how long it's going to be up.

If you've already given back feedback, you can still do this. Basically, you'll count as two people.

Also I totally know what I want to draw of us, but I'm not in a position where I can draw anything. So I haven't forgotten! Just in the process of moving.

I'll keep this open indefinitely for now.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 21:03 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Quote:
Another Star is a console-style RPG like none you've ever played before! Which is really just marketing-speak for "it's like every other RPG you've ever played, except it has a few things that make it feel new, different and exciting".

This endeared it to me immediately.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 21:20 
Root Administrator

I've played a bit of it and have already had some LOL moments so yeah this is definitely something people should try.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 10:18 
Root Administrator

Some more instructions:

Quote:
It's unfinished, but playable. Grab it while you can, because I plan to take it down later. The ReadMe.txt file included should get you started, but it basically all boils down to A being the "cancel" button, and D being the "select" button. Future versions of the game will allow for remapping the keys. Alternatively, you can use a gamepad (both the left stick and d-pad can be used if you play with an XBox 360 controller). The fullscreen resolution cannot currently be set and uses your current system settings, but you can resize the window by dragging the sides.

Almost half the game is playable, but the game is very much unbalanced, and there may be areas where you can get stuck and unable to progress. Please note that your progress in this version won't be able to carry over to the final version. The game is still in development and too much will have changed, breaking compatibility.

I'd love to hear about any battle strategies you came up with (especially in boss battles) and what items/equipment you found most useful.

---TROUBLESHOOTING---
  • The game should run fine on Windows, Mac, and Linux so long as you have either .NET or Mono installed, but I haven't tested the current build in Ubuntu to be sure, and don't have access to a Macintosh at present. Previous builds were working just fine in Ubuntu, but because I don't know for sure I didn't include the Mac or Linux icons for this thread.
  • If the game crashes on startup with an openal32.dll error, try downloading the OpenAL installer from Creative's website.
  • The game uses a shader for the CRT effect, but if it's slowing down your system, use F4 to toggle it on and off. This setting will be available in the options menu down the road, and include a lower-quality "light" version for those with slower system.
  • If you get stuck in a wall because you managed to wander into an unfinished map sector, use ALT+HOME to soft reset the game without saving your progress. (If you save the game when stuck like this, you won't be able to get out.)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 21:11 
Root Administrator

You may want to redownload it. I found a bug so Dale had to fix it. If you've already started, you can keep your save.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 11:52 
Veteran

Medals: 2
Best Newcomer (1) Best RPer (1)
Blog: View Blog (4)
I'm sharing this game with rpg gaming related sub-reddits. Hopefully your friend get's a little more attention, this looks like a really fun and well made game with a nice vintage Dragon Warrior/Quest feel.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 12:13 
Veteran

http://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/1 ... e_vintage/
http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg_gamers/comm ... e_vintage/

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 14:27 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
When I try to run it, the Program appears to load, but then promptly crashes and displays the following Error:

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013, 14:47 

If you get OpenAL errors, go to Creative's page here and run the OpenAL installer.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 01:52 
Root Administrator

Thanks for sharing that, Kennori! I'll give you an extra entry just for that. =)

EDIT: That puts us at 11 points. That means I'm going to bring back a skin of the site's choosing. I'll post the poll tomorrow. As far as the drawing goes, I'll have to do that after I get settled into my new apartment here in a month or so.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 02:11 
Veteran

Medusa wrote:
Thanks for sharing that, Kennori! I'll give you an extra entry just for that. =)

EDIT: That puts us at 11 points. That means I'm going to bring back a skin of the site's choosing. I'll post the poll tomorrow. As far as the drawing goes, I'll have to do that after I get settled into my new apartment here in a month or so.

There's a contest? What? (j/k) But Seriously, I just saw a really well made indie RPG, and as an JRPG aficionado, it was my duty to spread the word about this. It looks really fun and I can't wait to try it out when I get time.

EDIT: Also, there are people begging to play the game, Dale. Just saying :3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next