All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Moving Forums
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 14:54 
Root Administrator

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Tonight, at whatever time we get to it, Ethan (and I, I presume) will be moving the forums from vBulletin to phpBB. This has been a plan in progress for quite some time, that some of you helped to test, but with the increasing amount of work Dino is having to do in regards to the amount of bots she's having to ban and posts she has to delete, we're going to move that timetable up considerably.

What this means is a few things:

1. Anything posted after this post may or may not be moved over.

2. We won't have all the features/themes we have now, at least at first.

3. CMS is going away, but we're still going to have The University. It'll just be a forum again, assuming we can move that over smoothly.

Ethan and I have been and will continue to be working on getting the skins back to working order. We will be busy for the next few months balancing school, work, and making the forums as close to the vBulletin forums as possible. We should be able to get most if not all of the features back eventually. (We were hoping to have all that done before we moved to make the move smoother but...)

In case you're wondering why we've wanted to move over to phpBB, basically it boils down to the fact that every time we upgraded this software (which we have to do often because something is always wrong), something would break, usually the skins that Ethan has spent literal years on. Frankly, we got tired of having to constantly relearn how the backend of this software works, and it's an inefficient system to boot. Honestly, phpBB is more user-friendly and Ethan especially has been able to pick it up quite easily, with only a few hiccups. The fact that we've had so much trouble with a PAID (and trust me, I paid for this software) system is astounding, and it looks like they're going to be ditching vB4 for vB5 anyway (which they want $200 for, by the by). So this is a good time for us to move, to go to a system that works for us and with us. Ethan and Dino do too much for this site to make it any more difficult for them to dot heir jobs.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, whatever, feel free to post them. Once we move, we could use your support, comments, suggestions, anything. Remember that this forum is for you, and I and the other staff members will do our best to make sure this forum is the best it can be.

Thanks for your patience, and again, I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. This is something we probably should have done a long time ago, but I was sure that we'd be able to handle vBulletin.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 15:05 
Veteran

Thanks for the update.

I can't say I'm happy with this decision, but I completely understand why it was and had to be made. The reason I am unhappy with it is because I really love vB forums. I feel like they have the best layout and are the easiest to navigate. I'm sure I'll get used to the change, though. And I'll always be a part of the Mercury Ice family no matter where we go!

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 15:25 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
The layout's comfortable, I'll say that much, but it's far from the best or easy to navigate. To prove the validity of that statement, I'd encourage you to take a look at the new software:

http://mercuryice.com/phpbbtest/index.php

And because for some reason it doesn't want to set the actual default as the default skin, you may have to select "Requiem FESS" from the skin drop down menu. You'll see that when designing the destination format/layout I basically started with the vB layout we already know and then just...made it better/easier from there within reason of what I could.

If you don't feel like poking around the new software while I'm working on it (I know I wouldn't), here's a side by side comparison:

[Large Image]

This of course features only the index, but let me assure you the posting layout is a similar mirror. And there's the fact the phpbb destination isn't actually 100% done, as evidenced by the user profiles, missing chatbox and the fact that topic titles arent' displayed on the index. This mostly stems from the fact that we've moved up our time schedule; something I personally am less than thrilled about, but it had to be done.

EDIT: Owing to some conversion peculiarities, the above linked board is now something of a model, so feel free to poke around all you want.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 21:07 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Update: right about now I'm throwing in the towel for the night, because I've been working since before Crystal made this thread and have made no forward progress--again thanks to nobody supporting vB because everybody hates vB. So it looks like this is not happening tonight. Could happen tomorrow night if the SMF intermediary Crys and I are looking at works out.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 23:01 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I don't know anything about programming myself one way or the other, but I've heard enough about the horrors of vB from Ethan to be glad we're moving just for your guys' sake. I'm behind you all the way.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 04:32 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Ethan, you seem to be fated to be fighting vB over forum changes in October. I can remember you being driven almost to despair this time last year, trying to do the Comm merger.

As Rachel said, we're behind both of you all the way. We really appreciate the work you put in for the forums, but don't run yourselves into the ground. I'm sure we're all willing to put up with a bit of incovenience for a while if things are proving difficult.

Post subject: Re: Moving Forums
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 21:35 
Administrator

Mm, so there appears to be an error with the user online/offline icons, which is causing some displacement of the usernames in their respective cells associated with each post. I'm not certain what is causing this yet.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 00:38 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Update: we will be moving sometime in the near future.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 18:52 
Veteran

...I thought we had already moved.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 18:53 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
We did - a few hours after that post. 'Near future' is relative. :P

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 19:06 
Veteran

Ah, yes, well, them's the perils of being a time being I suppose.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 11:29 
Administrator

IIIIII c wut u did thar.