All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 20:17 

Mage, you are my FAVORITE PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD right now. I really want to have a story for this contest but I have had such an INSANE (and not really in a nice way) time of things the last few days that I wasn't sure I could keep writing in my schedule. But now I should be able to finish in time. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

[align=center]Image
Somewhere weaknesses are strength
And I\'ll die searching for it
[/align]

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 16:48 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Such an unbridled display of excitement from the normally nonchalant and quiet Kiseki: You know she speaks the truth.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 17:45 

Aww crap. I wanted to enter this contest, but, of course, since I'm never on, I didn't read this until today and I don't think I can get a good story out by Friday. Whatever, I'll just make sure to get on more than once every six months.

Good luck to the people who did enter.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 19:49 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Kill Twilight (1)
You know, I'm seeing an ad offering a VIP trip to the premiere of "New Moon" displayed prominently under this thread at the moment. The irony is overwhelming.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 22:45 

Yeah, I keep seeing that too.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 14:16 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I see it now too. Bwahahaha, if only they knew.

Right, contest is closed, entries are posted, please go judge. Judging ends on the thirteenth. That is all.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 15:58 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Can I ask a quick question? With regards to the Language Quality category in the voting, I've noticed different people are using different criteria. ARG has judged based purely on grammar, spelling and sentence structure (i.e. taking the guidelines absolutely literally); I have tended to include such things as choice of vocabulary, since I think that would come under quality of language; Cata appears to have included all sorts of other aspects too. Are we judging overall language quality or purely language accuracy? If the latter, I may want to adjust one or two of my marks.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 17:55 
Veteran

The quality of 'language' was meant to indicate the proper usage of spelling, grammer, tense, sentence structure, etc, in the story. Notable spelling errors, grammer mistakes, sentences or paragraphs that don't flow right, all those would detract points from that category. It does not refer to the description or usage of the actual words, per se-that would be considered under 'writing'-and it does not refer to the amount of symbolism or deep meaning in the story, no matter what Cata might tell you.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 20:45 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Like I said, I think a deeper meaning is part of language and fiction writing itself, not to mention an integral part of what separates good literature from bad literature. I judged based on that. I'm thinking that as long as we follow the basic guidelines already set down, we should have leeway in adding our own personal criteria as long as they apply to all entries.

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 23:36 
Veteran

And I'm thinking that since I was the one who designed and started the contest in the first place, my definition of the categories gets to be the correct one here.

'Language Quality' was specifically set aside for quality of spelling, grammer and proper use of the language, which is an important part of good writing. In this contest, it does not have anything to do with deeper meaning, no matter how much you may attempt to argue that it does to suit your own purpose. If it was a contest you started and you wanted to include that as part of your judging criteria, I would be totally respectful of that; but this is my contest, not yours, and so for now language quality is what I say it is.

I can understand and appreciate your views on deeper meaning within writing, but this contest was never designed to be about deeper meaning. It was designed to be about creating an innovative and original idea about the vampire genre. Your judging other people based on the deeper meaning of their work in this contest, therefore, makes about as much sense as you insisting that others' judging of you is inaccurate because it fails to take deeper meaning into account-which is to say none.

In effect, you are refusing to follow the terms of the contest, by assuming that my rules are mutable enough for you to argue them around to fit your definition of them. They're not. My rules are what I say they are, not what you say they are. By interpreting my rules as what you say/think they are, and not listening to any argument otherwise, you have insisted that critique of your work is inaccurate and have criticized others on the basis of critera that does not exist in this contest.

Please stop. It's really annoying.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 23:45 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Damn looks like I missed it. Oh well. =/

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 02:17 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Alright, I get it, your rules, which means we judge at the level of the literary training that the contest starter sets. It would have saved me a hell of a lot of time and effort if you were to mention that judges would be so constricted. I wanted to do a stylistic counterpoint as well as a conceptual counterpoint to the whole Vampire-romance genre, but since it must be automatically assumed that everyone on this forum has too short of an attention span to actually bother with exhaustive literary criticism, I suppose I was wrong and you were right, though I hardly remember slapping anyone down for judging based on personal opinion when I was running these contests.

Then again, you were running this one, Zu befeldt. I'll remember to relegate my entries to hormone fodder from now on, though any real difference between that and Twilight itself is lost on me.

Although, what bugs me is, if your criteria for judging is so restricted, then what is the point of having other people come in and judge when you KNOW some of us are going to be judging whilst understanding stuff that you don't? Why didn't you just judge it yourself and mention that understanding of the terms "writing" and "language" would be restricted to that of a sixth grader?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 16:32 
Veteran

Please refrain from insulting my intelligence, Cata, it does not add anything to your argument. Do you really think so little of my basic comphrehension skills to assume that the only possible reason I might criticize your story is because I didn't 'get' it? If that is so, by all means feel free to leave and cease casting your pearls before swine, but I fear you will not get very far in your pursuit of art if you take even a basic criticism of the language mechanics in one of your stories as below your attention.

I am still a thinking human being, Cata, and I do still read. Quite a lot, actually, and being homeschooled does not mean I am dumb. You being in university and me being homeschooled does not automatically mean that I must be below you in terms of reading comphrehension. I took all criticism of my story calmly, and accepted that I had made a mistake, but that there was nothing I could do about it and would simply have to get better in that regard. You took multiple criticisms as meaning that the readers obviously didn't understand the deeper meaning of your work and as such were insignificent. Which of us do you think is the immature one here? If your work is really that good, why are you so opposed to having it criticized? And do you really think that you have progressed so far in life and worked so hard that you are above being questioned, just because you're in university now?

I set the categories as they are because I felt they were appropriate to the idea of the contest; that is, to contribute something new and original to the vampire genre. The fact is, Cata, the point of this contest was never to provide a story that examined the style and concepts of the vampire-romance genre in a symbolic way. You want to do that, Cata? That's great. That's excellent. By all means, do that- I never criticized you for that. I criticized you because you took a category meant to apply simply to use of language mechanics and turned it into something else; because not only were you were criticizing other people for not doing what you did, but you were criticizing them under terms that never existed in the contest to begin with. And I criticized your story because I felt it was lacking in several aspects, including the previously mentioned language mechanics. You assumed that meant we were suddenly working at sixth grade levels. Well, perhaps we were. I knew how to use tense properly in sixth grade.

Sometimes, Cata, when someone says they don't like what you wrote, it doesn't mean that they're not intelligent or 'trained' well enough to appreciate it in all its glory. It just means they didn't like it. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with just writing to entertain. It doesn't mean you're suddenly writing 'hormone fodder'. We don't diss Twilight because it's written to entertain. If you honestly think that, you were missing the whole point of the argument and in fact this contest as a whole. We diss Twilight because it's bad. Because the writing is bad, the characters are bad, the plot is atrocious, and also because a lot of it is really disturbing and not in a good way. There is a lot of stuff written solely for entertainment or pursuit of the story itself, and that does not make it bad.

I left the contest open to all who wanted to judge it because I know full well that I am not the most experienced in writing, because others might notice things I didn't, because other peoples' opinions are good to have. I did not leave a criteria open for the depth and literary merit of the works because I did not consider that an important part of a contest in which a bunch of geeks wrote vampire stories, and because I never thought that any one else would include it in their works. And, guess what, they didn't. That doesn't make their stories bad any more than it makes your story automatically good. But you cannot go judging stories based on something no one was ever told was going to be important just because you think it's important. Just because you can't re-interpret the rules to suit your purposes doesn't mean that the person who made the rules was an idiot.

Sometimes other people are right. I realize I'm sounding condescending here, and I apologize, but you are insulting my intelligence just because I criticized your work. If you continue to take the attitude, you won't learn from criticism and you won't get better. You'll just stagnate perpetually because you can't admit that anything with your work is wrong. I don't think you've gone that far yet, but honestly Cata, your ego is getting really annoying. I refuse to believe that just because you are a freshmen in university you suddenly have gained a higher level of understanding that allows you to slam other peoples' works with impunity and yet also craft works of art with such stylistic intelligence that the lower people are just not able to understand it. Sometimes when multiple people read something you wrote and say they didn't think it was all that good, it doesn't mean they're too uneducated to appreciate if fully, sometimes it just means you did something wrong. I do things wrong a lot too. It's okay.

You're complaining, Cata, because you feel you're surrounded by sheep, but I'm complaining because I feel you keep whacking me around the head with a shepard's crook for no good reason.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 17:15 

L Award (1)
Kids, MSN Was invented for these sorts of things.

Cata, She's in charge, Let her run it as she pleases.

Mage, I'll ask you to air your grievances with Cata privately.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 17:43 
Veteran

Well then, I've sent my explanations, and I'm done, I don't really care anymore. By this point, I have better things to do than answer a rant that I've heard before and rebut arguments which have already been shown to be faulty.

Mage can count it as a victory if she wants, she certainly spent enough hot air on it.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 18:57 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
This thread is closed. Chaz's statements are as true as they are easily applied. This thread is closed to posting until the winner is ready to be announced.

Paul, that last comment, especially after Chaz's post, was beyond unneeded.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 17:27 
Veteran

Alright, it's the 13th and judging is OVER. The winner is....ARG!

*trumpet flare*

In second place, Dino; in third place, me; in fourth place, Cata; in fifth place, Kiseki, and in sixth place, Inuit. Congrulations, everybody, on a good contest.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 17:32 
Veteran

Congratulations ARG, the Emperor has truly smiled upon you this day.

Speaking of The Emperor, please tell me the next writing contest will be 40k related. (mainly because I want to see the rest of that DoW/IB crackfic, it has my favourite kind of nymph in it!)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 19:08 
Administrator

Cataphrak wrote:
Congratulations ARG, the Emperor has truly smiled upon you this day.

Speaking of The Emperor, please tell me the next writing contest will be 40k related. (mainly because I want to see the rest of that DoW/IB crackfic, it has my favourite kind of nymph in it!)
Because we all know just how large a percentage of the Comm memberbase who are also active love 40k.

Anyways, congrats ARG. I'll have your piece up sometime in the next 24.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 19:52 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Does anyone else find it ironic that the person who joined just so they could use the acronym P.I.G.S. won?

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 21:54 
Administrator

Does anyone else find it ironic that 1337 thinks he knows the reason said member joined?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 15:40 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
:party: I am a winner!

Thanks to everyone who voted, without whom, this contest would have been an exercise in futility.

Also, Cata can rest assured that I will eventually post up the IB/40k crossover, contest or not.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:13 
Administrator

Alright, now that ARG's story is up and available to read via the Contest Winners Directory, I'm going to take down the contest subboard. The entries will be dumped into the The Library.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 01:37 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
This somehow feels rather belated, since Zeth's post gives an air of finality to everything, but congratulations, ARG. :)