All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 17:34 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
It's time for a new writing contest. And on my mind this time is the subject of vampires. Vampires have faced some serious nerfing of late; humanoid predators, creatures of the night, an ancient and terrible legend of something that could rise from its grave, heart still and silent within its chest, and stalk the shadows looking for humans to prey on. And now what's happened to them? They've been turned into a pre-teen girl obsession, a sparkley fantasy creature that does not, in fact, stalk the night, but does stalk teenage Mary Sues, apparently for love. In fact, they resemble humanoid unicorns more than vampires now. This will not do. We may not be able to rectify the problem at large-yet-but we can at least do our part to bring forth some actual vampires.

So, here is your challenge, everybody, and I expect you to rise to it. Write a story about vampires. A non-romantic story, please; I'm sure somewhere out there someone exists who could make a vampire romance work, but that's not really the point here. Aside from that, you have free reign; your vampires can be rotting corpses with fangs or scientifically engineered blood-sucking humans or suave gentlemen who invite guests into their creepy castles so they can bite them in the middle of the night, but they still have to be vampires. Your basic goal is to write something cool about vampires. Angst is allowed (where would we be without angst?) but don't overdo it.

Originality is key here. Come up with something new or put an interesting twist on something old. Subvert the cliches. Surprise your readers. Meanwhile, Sues, sparkles and sticky love stories will get you docked serious points.

The judging system will work like this, similar to the last one: each story will be given its own thread and anyone who wants to can read the story and judge it. There are five categories for judging: Originality (25%) Narrative Quality (%20) Writing Quality (25%) Language Quality (20%) and Coolness (10%). Originality should be obvious; Narrative Quality refers to the pacing and flow of the story, how well it fits together, how well the end works, how good the opening is. Writing Quality refers to the description, dialouge, flow of words, essentially, the writing itself. This is also where you dock points for unbelievable characters or improbable battle scenes. Language Quality refers to grammer and spelling, proper sentences, etc. Finally, Coolness refers to the sheer awe factor of what you come up with; Crowning Moments of Awesome, anything that makes your readers go, "Whoa! That's cool!" Please note that Coolness is the least important factor here, so sacrificing the narrative to get in a cool explosion or whatnot is not going to do you any good.

Judges will assign points out of each category, then add up those points. A perfect score is, therefore, a hundred. Judges are expected to explain their decision. It doesn't have to be a lengthy answer, but at least put enough for the writer to know what they did right or wrong, and for the rest of us to know you didn't just pick the person you liked most, or just skimmed the story and judged based on what you scanned past, or just copied the person above. Please, if you are going to judge one person, judge them all; each story needs to be judged on its own standards, not against the other ones, and giving one person points but no one else is really not fair.

When the contest is over, the scores for each story will be added up and the one with the highest score wins. Please, for God's sake, take the time to judge; the last contest had three people voting on each story. It won't take that long, and it will really hope.

You can't, of course, judge your own story, but if you have entered you may certainly judge the other entrants, as long as you do it fairly.

Contest ends on the 30th, so you have two and a half weeks. Judging will start on the 1st of October and end on the 10th, when the winners will be announced. Now, if there's one* thing I hate, it's a short story contest with no room to work, so your word cap is 3500; there's no minimum word cap, it's up to you to decide how long or short your story needs to be. If you're going to go the full length, it's up to you to pace it well so it doesn't get boring. PM your entries to me, and address any questions in this thread.

Now, sadly I can't actually promise a real prize, since we are on the internet and all, and frankly I don't think anyone actually wants the great and fabulous honor of picking the next contest, but whoever wins does get to have their story posted in the Contest Winners, which would make it the only one there not by Cata. Cata's goal here is to preserve his winning streak.

Good luck, everybody.

*non-sentient

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 18:58 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Damn straight I'm going to preserve my winning streak.

I'm in obviously. Any challengers? It would be no fun if it ends up being a walkover you know, especially as I know jack shit about vampires, and I AM going to be doing something that will dock me SERIOUS points on originality. (Vampires vs Werewolves)

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 19:23 
Veteran

Medals: 1
Kill Twilight (1)
Why not? I'll throw my towel in the ring as well, though I expect ZERO points in originality, as I'll be writing a 40k fanfic...

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 19:26 

I might actually write something for this one. I always tell myself I'll try, and then I don't...and I may not have anything remotely like enough spare time, but I really want to write something.
So, I'll see if I can make it something about vampires.

[align=center]Image
Somewhere weaknesses are strength
And I\'ll die searching for it
[/align]

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 20:03 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
I'm in. See you on the other side.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 20:25 
Veteran

Another Random Geek wrote:
Why not? I'll throw my towel in the ring as well, though I expect ZERO points in originality, as I'll be writing a 40k fanfic...

Sorry, no fanfics this time. Anything not in public domain is out, since making up something new kind of is the point of the contest.

Cataphrak wrote:
It would be no fun if it ends up being a walkover you know,

Please, I'm entering too. If the last contest was close, one about vampires sure as hell isn't going to be a walkover.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 21:21 
Veteran

Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Wait, then who's judging?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 22:05 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Anyone and everyone is, iffen I read correctly thar.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 23:37 
Cata's convinced me, I'll enter and mop the floor with him. Prepare for my sheer awesomeness.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 23:47 
Veteran

You kidding me? I'll be all Erik the Red and colonize the shit outta you...

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 02:21 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
Interesting. I'll see what I can come up with.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 03:35 

Alright Cata. You know that if there's one thing I do better than you it's write creatively. I may not write as much as you do, or with as much emphasis on historical context, but when I care to try, you are ended.

NEW CHALLENGER! FIGHT!

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 10:21 
Veteran

Krisz wrote:
Alright Cata. You know that if there's one thing I do better than you it's write creatively.
Dude, other way 'round remember?

Just because you're a better RPer than me doesn't mean you're better with traditional narrative.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 17:09 
Veteran

Wow! All I had to do was offer the chance to bump Cata off his winning streak and we get three times the entrants we had last time-or any other time, for that matter. I must remember this trick, it could come in handy later.

Or maybe we just have that many people on here who hate Twilight that much.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 17:10 
Veteran

I think it's the latter. I mentioned me winning the last contest as well I think.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 17:21 

Commer of the Year (1)
I'm in >: 3

I plan on giving Mage a run for her money.

And Cata, too, I guess.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 17:34 
Veteran

I have a feeling that our respective stories will be as different as our respective visions for IB.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 18:54 

Cata-fail. Narrative I can do. You remember the ol' story about T&A. And most of my other works. It's forced fiction I dislike. When I can write on my own terms, hoo boy.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 20:59 
Veteran

This IS forced fiction though, anything with an arbitrary topic and time limit is.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 01:26 

Yes, but it's less forced than a forty minute write on a set topic. I can feel free to branch into whatever areas of vampirism I desire.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 09:35 
Veteran

Yet it will still sound like a medieval scotsman telling a story about a bar brawl...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 15:00 
Veteran

Funniest (1)
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'll have to drop out. My schedule's too jam-packed to squeeze in an internet writing contest. Plus, I just couldn't get anywhere when I wrote the first few paragraphs.

Have fun, guys! I look forward to reading your results.

Living in the limelight, the universal dream for those who wish to seem.
Those who wish to be must put aside the alienation,
Get on with the fascination,
The real relation,
The underlying theme.

The World From Here

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 17:37 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm hoping to submit something. I've got one in the pipeline, but I haven't attempted a short story since I was a child; it's not really my genre. I'll see what I think when it's finished. If I think it's too embarrassing, I won't bother.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2009, 13:52 
Veteran

Kill Twilight (1)
Don't worry Dino, it won't be any worse than mine. I dropped my idea for a fanfic in favor of a short story about the U.S. Paranormal Investigatory Government Services because I thought the acronym was funny.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 19:05 
Veteran

*ahem* Actually, I've extended the deadline to Friday, for a few reasons....so, the entries will be put up Saturday instead. Sorry for the delay.