All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Minor Updates
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:17 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I HAVE CREATED TEH UBERSKIN!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 00:20 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I tried to upgrade the forums tonight but apparently there's been a problem. The forum is running fine, but I've had to submit a support ticket since they didn't exactly tell me how to fix the issue. Everything should be fine, but yeah, just in case things are acting up, we may need to wait a day or two to solve any issues.

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 00:43 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
We've disabled all products except the chatbox until we can get this upgrade complete. Apparently there are issues still.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 00:55 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
But on the plus side, in most of the active skins, that toplinks bar is lookin' mighty smexy, eh? :zchan:

EDITING POST FOR GREAT JUSTICE!
1:55 AM

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 01:36 
Root Administrator

Um, so we figured out what the issue was. Fixing it now.

Basically, vBulletin is EXTREMELY stupid and doesn't actually remove files when we uninstalled stuff. So there was a lot of stuff on there from like, a few YEARS ago, and it was causing issues. But we're working on cleaning that up, and the update should be done in a few minutes.

EDIT: I think some mods might be causing issues so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to start enabling them again. Sorry for the inconvenience, guys. Trust me, Ethan and I are beyond frustrated with this, for different reasons. He's been trying to streamline the forums and they keep updating so it keeps overwriting them, and I'm trying to sort out some backend issues that vBulletin isn't even remotely being helpful with.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 00:04 
Administrator

Just thought you guys'd like to see the nice postcontrol buttons you'll never get to use because vB software developers and coders are mentally handicapped dickwads who deserve to be violated painfully by eldritch abominations.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It also means there will never be an LoZ Link skin/theme/style on Mercury, which some of you may remember fondly from the Comm.

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 14:23 
Root Administrator

[QUOTE=Zeth;206573]I HAVE CREATED TEH UBERSKIN![/QUOTE]

Not this time.

Requiem FESS has been temporarily disabled as it has been completely borked by the recent forum update. Right now Retro Mercury is the default. Please let me know if any other templates are screwing up.

Also please vote on skins that you'd be okay with seeing go away, as it's when this kind of stuff happens that it makes it easier on myself and especially Ethan to have less skins.

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 02:28 
Administrator

...I poured a lot into that skin.

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 03:07 
Root Administrator

I know. Trust me, I know...

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 14:00 
Administrator

Right, I was sending info to Crys as I figured things out, but I figure this last update may as well be known to everybody, so, yeah.

First of all there is this process, which I went through last time we had a large software update:
Quote:
Image Step 1: First, you should visit the Styles & Templates -> Find Updated Templates page to find out which (if any) of your customized templates may have updated default versions.
Image Step 2: If you find that some of your customized templates not to have updated default versions, you have three choices. You can either:
  • Do nothing and hope that your customized templates will still work properly with the new vBulletin version. This is often not a problem, but sometimes a variable may have been renamed or some other change may have been made that will render your customized template dysfunctional.
  • Click the "Revert" link for each template, removing your customizations to ensure that your templates are fully compatible with the new vBulletin version.
  • Click on the "Edit Template" link for each template, and compare the contents of your customized template with the version available by clicking the "View Original" link in order to manually update your customized templates to reflect the changes made in the default templates.

I went to do this again, and, well, according to our ACP:
Quote:
All templates are up-to-date.

To sum up the deductions simply, asserting a few patches to holes that I know but can't explain very well: the vBulletin template updates overwrote our old templates without giving me the option to revert, update, or selectively merge (which is what I did last time to keep things working). This means that the affected skins are permanently gone. They have been deleted.

I still have all the pieces and parts--images and things--but I don't have any of the coding I spent all the real time and heartache figuring out and building workarounds for, and without those nothing works, so, no skin.

The only thing I don't really understand is why the images themselves don't display. Even if some of the elements would not display or were misplaced or were broken, most of the images should be intact, such as the background for the Requiem FESS skin, which is not tied in any manner to a template. It's a 'simple' Style Variable, and shouldn't have been touched by these things at all. All the images are still on the server, but it appears as if for some reason the CSS files for the affected skins were deleted, and when that happens vB restores and replaces them with the default CSS files, because they are morons.

I will have to rebuild these skins from the bottom up, and I do not know how long that will take. I know Requiem FESS I never really considered as being completed--it was an ongoing thing that I kept tweaking and tuning off and on. It has been a number of months since the last time I did so, so I suppose it was fair to call it finished, as that had been the longest time I had gone without tweaking and tuning it. If that is considered the end point, then it took approximately two years to create and complete that skin in all its detail and code complexity. That may be the sort of timeframe you're looking at to get it back, since vB is not the sort of thing you learn once and then know. In fact, the entire CSS and StyleVars system changed with our last large software update before this one, and so everything I had learned about the system to that point is void and useless.

In the meantime, until I figure out things, I'm activating the Hunter's Realm skin. It's not complete, but of those listed and then removed from the vote topic Crys posted, it was the nearest I had begun to being completed. It'll give you at least an extra option as far as dark colour themes go until Reqfess is back.

Just FYI: the Hunter's Realm skin is sort of a specialty skin, which is why the banner does not include the name Mercury. I had wanted to give each of the dedicated RP sections their own skin to which they would be locked. The HR skin mimics second generation HR skin before they integrated with the Comm, and then Mercury.

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 01:05 
Root Administrator

[video=youtube;R1horffGyO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1horffGyO0[/video]

We may have found a solution. Check back tomorrow for updates.

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 21:23 
Administrator

Still working on it. It's a bit of a time vampire and I did it wrong the first time.
: /

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 02:53 
Root Administrator

No worries Ethan. Work at your own pace. We love you, so.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012, 21:46 
Administrator

It doesn't look like anything worked.

At least we have Requiem FESS back. Just not Hunter's Realm.

EDIT:
Scratch that. Reqfess has developed the missing links and breaks too, for some reason.

EDIT:
I just looked through the skins and all of them are missing fundamental elements. Can only choose between them by manually typing in a style ID into my URL. And that's changed since I've done any work. I don't know why.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 02:38 
Root Administrator

If you need me, I'll be around most of the weekend.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 23:43 
Administrator

I don't really have anything left to try...

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 13:40 
Root Administrator

What about downloading the xml file or whatever? Have you done that? I can rerun the upgrade then and not touch any template revert requests that come up and leave that to you.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 13:20 
Administrator

I'm not certain. We could always try simply restoring the entire boards; that would definitely work.
We'd want people to maybe copypasta the posts made since the 25.5.12 into a file before we did so though; I know there have been some RP posts since then.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 22:29 
Root Administrator

I'm down for anything, just let me know what you want to do. I think I can actually just run the upgrade again, which wouldn't touch posts but might fix the Hunter's Realm skin. Or we can just start from the beginning. Up to you.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 10:40 
Administrator

I have an idea that should let us roll back the clock on everything but not lose the posts and then run the update again. If you'll be on around 22:00 tonight I'd be ready to try and tackle it.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 10:55 
Root Administrator

Sounds good. Text or call me if I'm not; sometimes I forget to log into MSN.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 02:55 
Root Administrator

Okay so I reuploaded everything and ran the upgrade again and there are minor issues (namely the navbar in the FESS skin) but it seems the skin is functional for the most part. Ethan and I can go through and re-reupload files that aren't working right and I think that should fix it.

Praise Jesus?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 04:02 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Yay! Thank you, both of you. I'd been feeling a bit hesitant about posting recently (not that I'd had anything very much to say anyway) because of the possibility of having to restore the boards and lose posts.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 12:21 
Root Administrator

We may still have to do that eventually if there's something that's completely broken, but the likelihood of that is low.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2012, 01:38 
Administrator

Yeah, I don't think Jesus did anything all that worthy of praise here. I'm glad a few things are slightly less broken, but I'm having a hard time being cheerful about it when I know vB's just going to do it again, and AFTER we finally clean up what mess there still is to fix.

Does anyone actually know how to fix that navbar, by the way? It's not just in the FESS skin. It's in every skin. Messed up, that is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next