All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Myke's Sketches
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 21:48 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
I was a bit worried about the thick glass thing, but the one I used as a reference gave the illusion of thick edges when viewed from a distance - optical illusion of sorts. I figured it was pretty normal?
And hopefully I'll get back to Max when I've finished the rest of the team and compile them into a banner or whatever it is I'm doing.

[DDL] WALUIGI TIME You'd probably have to read Brawl In The Family to get it but I don't care
[ASH] Szarke the Architect is way cooler than you will ever be. Richer, too.
[DDL] FE77-WIP for the Fire Emblem 100 challenge.

You're good with horses, Dino, have any advice?

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 10:41 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I like all of those.

The coloured Szarke looks great, and that's a really cool sword. I hadn't really registered it in the pencil drawing, but it stands out a lot more now it's coloured.

Waluigi Time is fun. :D I don't know Brawl in the Family, but even without the background knowledge it's an amusing comic strip, and nicely drawn. :)

I like your FE77 one. The rider is wonderful. You really seem to have a way with bowmen (when it comes to drawing them, I hasten to add :p). The horse isn't too bad but, since you've asked for advice, there are a couple of points I could comment on. The chief one is that its ears look more like those of an elf than a horse. When a horse swivels its ears to the side like that, they look quite narrow, especially at the base, and a bit more closed in. Also, they should be a little closer together. The widest part of a horse's head is where its eyes are. Above that, the head narrows quite sharply. Hopefully these two pics I found will illustrate what I'm trying to say. (You wouldn't believe how few photos there are of horses with their ears pointed to the side. Nearly all of them were facing the front. Even this one only has them half-way round to the side.)
http://www.suecarsonsaddles.co.uk/download/pictures/pages/Horse_Head.jpg
http://www.pets-of-the-realm.com/images/draw-a-horse-head-1.JPG
One less noticeable point: a horse has quite a thick windpipe, as can be seen in the first photo. Your horse's neck reminds me more of a human one. And a final question: What's keeping the muzzle on? Are you intending to add a bridle?

Aargh! All those comments make it sound like your horse is terrible. It isn't at all! Overall it's really nicely drawn. The proportions are quite ponyish - it wouldn't pass for a thoroughbred - but in medieval times, which seems to correspond to the culture and technology of FE, those were precisely the kinds of horses in most common use. Also, having the ears turned to the sides like that is absolutely right for a horse whose rider has just released an arrow from his bow - the horse would instinctively turn his ears towards the sound of the twang from the bowstring.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2009, 22:56 

Absentee (1)
[FE7x]FE77: ... ...!
Visual improvements there. It could probably stand to be better, but I'm sick of it now. Thanks a million for the help there : D

[ASH] Szarke update
whoosp forgot the shield.

And now something I've been meaning to do for years.
Page One
Page Two

Not sure whether the colouring is worth the effort, but Yeti says 'just colour the first five pages of each volume like most manga do' so I'll probably do that.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2009, 13:10 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
The alterations you've made to the horse's ears have made a big difference! They look so much more natural now. And I see you've also redrawn his eyes. I hadn't actually noticed any problem with them before, but the way you have them now is definitely far more realistic. The angle is a lot more natural, and marking the bony ridge above the eye socket helps to define the shape of the upper face. And I see there's a story to this picture. :) I really like it.

I actually looked at your Szarke pencil sketch before I commented after your last post, and I totally failed to spot that you'd left out the shield. :p What's it made of? Is it some kind of glass-like substance, or is it a magical field? The coloured one has a sort of nebulous quality to it.

The two comic pages are nice. Having them coloured definitely makes them look more professional than simple pencil drawings, but I agree it would be a huge amount of work. I think colouring the first few pages would be a good compromise. (Presumably the non-coloured ones would still have inked outlines.)

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 02:21 

Absentee (1)
Szarke's shield is uh
Energy?
The emitter in her hand projects a contained, thin field of gravitic pulses. It doesn't so much 'block' an attack as it does absorb it. The kinetic energy of whatever strikes the, uh, 'event horizon' is dispersed throughout the shield and amplifies the frequency and strength of the contained anomalies. Of course, there's only so much current the device can contain, so every now and then she needs to discharge the stored kinetic energy, usually in the form of a wave-like attack.

New stuff (was considering holding off the post until I finished a couple of things but they're taking longer than I thought) with comments copied from dA.
[SKY] Ox Ima for Skylessia RP sidebar.
Ima's one sexy bitch. You can't deny it.

Anyway I'm on FEP and I'm just flicking through my character profiles to check levels and such and realised I'm still using twenty-year-old FE mug edits and I'm like 'pfft forget this, I'm an artist.'
So yeah I made a portrait thingy to put in there. I really liked how it turned out, despite the craazy elbows and the misplaced facial features. Owell.
[SKY]Ditto Renault.
Or Sir Ulric Emmanuel Renault to people with the patience to address him as such.
Same deal as Ima, needed something better to put in the sidebar. I might do one for Hayt (despite him being dead in Sky!canon and soon to be replaced) and probably one for Maya. Delan, too, I guess.

His face was suuuuper fabio in the original sketches, but it cleaned up fairly well. The eyes are uneven, might fix that, and the hair still bothers me - overall pretty satisfied, though. Need to get more use out of the chainmail :V

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 19:22 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Both nice pics (though I agree with you that Renault's eyes might benefit from a retouch), but I definitely like Ima the best. (You have two sexy bitches now. You described Rusva as a sexy bitch in your first post. :D) It's lovely to see a coloured picture of him. Btw, is his right arm artificial? (I hope that didn't sound insulting if it isn't, and I don't have time to check through your writings to see if you ever gave a detailed physical description of him.)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 20:43 

Absentee (1)
It's unknown who was the original, but Ima and Rusva have spent more time together than Shani and I. The same goes for the whole inner berserker thing, I don't know which of them first started exhibiting that, either.

And no, it's flesh and bone under all that protection. After a couple of incidents in Sky it was practically crippled, so he was forced to relearn everything left-handed. Still, wrap it in enough iron and it makes an okay shield. Good for bashing things, too.

[F7x] Darin colour ref

Not much else happening apparently. I've got a half-dozen other things I'm working on, but they don't seem to be going anywhere.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 12:47 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Very nice!! I think that's beautifully drawn, and I really like the pose.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 01:51 

Absentee (1)
So a few days ago, someone asked me what exactly I had planned. So I made this.
[DDL] Platter- Jan 15

dA scrapbook entry wrote:
In order of appearance:
-Mikeru: Oldest roleplaying character I can clearly recall. Like, Neopets old. Doing for fun.
-Skill Icons: For FE7x. Comments visible are relating to a handful of icons yeti made for Mastery and suggesting that we just use the Deadeye design for Point Blank Shot.
-Madelyn Poses: The FE7x prep screen will feature a large Madelyn sprite in various poses, depending on which menu item you have selected (eg. Pick units, Trade, View Map, etc)
-Godhand Edit meme: DMC3 version. Found it among other old stuff and decided I wanted to finish it.
-Status Screen details: The FE7 status screen panels are boring so I'm adding things and playing with the borders and such for FE7x. Visible here are two skin decals.
-Dynasty!Hayt Reference sheet: For various purposes. I have trouble keeping my characters consistent, and yeah.
-Trail of Blood, Page 2: KIND OF A SECRET but not any more I guess.

And as usual, I bypassed all my queued projects and did something else entirely.

[DDL] The Crimson Ladies- Cybil
Quote:
WIP
Making a guild poster for WoW. Cybil's my paladin, healan forevar with a little shock when need be. She's the straight man to everyone else's funny man, and since I usually end up declaring which quests to do and standing at the back during fights; she's somewhat of a leader, a tactician. I imagine her sitting just below the Veterans in the CI chain of command.

No, this isn't her usual attire. This is basically what passes for underwear? The robes go over this, the leathers and chain over that and the plate over that. Getting into uniform might be a pain, but it's part of the many disciplines one must uphold.

She's staring crossly at Ciene and Ashelinn, who have to be done together. You'll see~

I usually try not to push much sexuality into my work but Cybil just does something to me.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 13:05 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Your "platter" has some interesting work in it. I think the status screen skin decals are very pretty, and your 2nd page for Trail of Blood looks pretty professional. I like it very much.

I also very much like your Cybil illustration. That outfit may just be her underwear, but I bet some of the other players wouldn't mind seeing her out and about in it. :p

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 03:43 

Absentee (1)
[SKY] Leeya and Hayt
Uncoloured version which is also pretty nice
Large resolution warning.

dA entry wrote:
Requested by Nexus (Leeya's owner).
This so desperately needs cleaning and background but I don't think I can put any more effort in without exploding.

I might, though.

By Nexus' insistence, Leeya's torso got more and more covered across versions. Original sketch had her in a side-tie bikini :A

I need someone who sits beside me and makes me finish things.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 19:24 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I love both versions! I don't think it matters that it has no background. It focuses attention fully on the characters when they're just on that plain, unshaded block on a white background. And I don't know what you wanted to clean up, but I think they look lovely just as they are. I think this is probably one of my favourites of the pictures you've posted.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 13:04 

Absentee (1)
[F7x] Cybil (Cybelle) concept
[F7x] Cybil (Cybelle) mug reference
[F7x] Elder concept
[F7x] Generic Fighter and Mercenary
[DDL] Experiment in realism
[CIQ] Cybil (Wow) WIP

I thought I'd done a lot more than that - it certainly felt like it. Then I remembered.

Scrapbook 1
Scrapbook 2

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 18:48 

Medals: 14
Best Poster (2) Most Whiny (1) Best Blogger (1) Most Creative (1) Best Traditional Artist (2)
Too Sexy For This Site (3) 2009 Halloween Costume Contest (1) Best Username (1) Spamwhore (2)
Myke, I love looking at your character art. How long have you been drawing for? :)

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 05:20 

Absentee (1)
Forever? x:
The earliest I can remember is around 8 years old, trying to draw a character from a little K-zone magazine thingy - who turned out to be Goku - but Mum has drawings archived with my schoolwork dating back to when I was four. Little dudes with Ts for hands and Ls for feet and giant smiles that could not be contained by their faces.
I don't know if that counts though. Everyone drew mummy and daddy as a kid?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 16:24 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I also love looking at your character art. I was admiring several of these on deviantART. I like your various Cybils, both the the FF7x drawings, and the lovely detail you've put in so far in your WOW one. I also very much liked your Elder concept. I was impressed by the horse, especially as you were having problems with horses only a short while ago. The scrapbooks are fun to browse through too. I thought the cyborg was really good. he looked quite scary! :p

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 18:31 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
I'm guessing this is the one mentioned in the Treasure Hunt; I am very possibly wrong.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 18:33 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I'm afraid this is not the thread you're looking for.

While we're here though, I have to say I REALLY love Myke's Generic Fighter and Mercenary and Experiment in realism. the flow of the lines is very clear and clean, which I find appealing very often.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 18:37 
Veteran

Well, I suppose they are rather nice — I wish this Thread weren't so dead now that I've looked through it.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2012, 18:41 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
It's been posted in: therefore, it is not dead.
There is no necroposting here and now.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 18:19 
Veteran

That is a bit confusing — it either means the Thread may now be posted in, or that it may not; which is it?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 20:27 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
It means the thread may be posted in. There is no necroposting rule on MI these days.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 04:32 

Absentee (1)
Necro rules have always been retarded anyway.

As usual there's a ton of stuff I can't find but I'll get over it

[IHO] Herbivorous
[ASH] RE: Nebezial
[IHO] Mediators - Roll Call
[F7X] Abelia Reference
[DDL] Walter woo
[DDL] Scrapbook 3
[F7x] William
[F7x] Zephyr
[DDL] FE sprite compilation (didn't I actually have a sprite thread here? oh well)
[DDL] Commander Eliza Shepard
[DDL] Gaming meme thing
[ToB] The Pilgrim
[F7x] Anita Concept
[F7x] Mahki Concept

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 15:57 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Looking at all the links in this post makes me realise just how many items in your dA gallery I've missed! As I said on dA, I love your meme and your Hayt one, 'The Pilgrim' (nice to see him making another appearance - I used to enjoy reading about him in your drabbles thread). I also really like 'Herbivorous'. That's one of the one's I'd never spotted on dA before, but I see it's not especially recent, so I've clearly been unobservant. Max Izlude's lovely too.

A few of these I do recall seeing on dA; Walter looks very familiar, and I definitely ermember you posting your sprite sheet there. (No, you never created a separate sprite thread on Mercury. I don't think you've ever posted sprites here before.) I wanted to comment at that time, but couldn't think of anything worthwhile to say.

I have to admit I wasn't quite as keen on Anita and Mahki as on your other drawings, but since they're concept art, I'm guessing that maybe you didn't bother so much with careful shading and the like. I bet if they were tidied up into digital line art though, they'd look awesome. Do you have any plans to do that?

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 20:09 
Administrator

I actually fav'd Shepherd when it went up on dA. Thought I had the gaming meme thing too, but I guess not. did now though. I like seeing other people's interpretations of my favoured games.

Hey Myke, if I were ever able to scrounge up enough spriters to make it worthwhile, would you be interested in kicking around in some FE splicing contests here on Mercury?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next