All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Myke's Sketches
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 16:32 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
Mm. For the practice pages, I sat down with my sketchbook in my lap and browsed the plethora of images on my computer, copying down respective body parts. Occasionally, I just posed my left hand in front of me and sketched it.
I still can't seem to make it transfer over to actual sketches, though. I still end up with disfigured lumps and cartoony hands (comparatively. I'm justifying the art-bashing so shush).

As for the shading thing, no. They're all done in HB-2B pencil and occasionally darkened in specific areas with a 4B-6B. I'm just making liberal use of the 'Cartoon' filter I discovered with Elaice and Hyde.

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 19:51 

Absentee (1)
o hi

[IHO] A Hellhound If an Attack Dog survives his first decade or so of service, he is given his own pack to command.
[IHO] Some Attack Dogs A Sniffer on the left there.
[IHO] Marine Concept Probably the first of many.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 20:45 

I quite like the Hellhound Myke. The marine concept looks pretty cool too.

[align=center]Image
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]And from the ashes...
I was reborn...[/font][/align]

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 20:48 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Those are very nice! My favourite is the hellhound, but I also like the design you've done for the marine. And I love the poses you've chosen for both the hellhound and the sniffer.

I'm intrigued by the attack dog concept. When I clicked on the first link I was expecting to see a dog, but they all appear to be human. Are they specially bred to have dog-like abilities? (I notice the sniffer has sharp, non-human teeth, so I'm assuming there's more to them than mere training.)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 01:24 

Absentee (1)
Thanks, dude.

Attack dogs are lab grown and genetically engineered to serve as an intelligent alternative to the orthodox war-hound. Speed, reflexes, strength, sense of smell, aggression and other traits are enhanced.
The typical attack dog is only eight or so years old when he's first deployed on the field - either in a pack or under a handler. They're not particularly popular among the marines due to their disturbing hybrid nature; half child, half predator. That, and their tendency to occasionally break rank and tear each other to pieces.

I'm still knocking a few of the kinks out of IHO's universe, but I'll be posting in the drabbles thread before long.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 05:42 

Absentee (1)
[F7x] Jericho Sacaean scholar
[DDL] A brujah reloads
[F7x] Inspired by Jericho and Celeste's C support
[F7x] Uther doodle
[DDL] James self-portrait
[DDL] Backseat driver
[IHO] Gen VII, children designed to mimic the Gwyk.
[DDL] A bangaa

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 18:13 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I really like Jericho! I think he looks very professional (despite the lined paper :p).

The brujah looks very much like Wolverine. :p Nice though (although his rear arm looks rather stubby. I'm not sure if the foreshortening isn't right, or whether the absence of shading is making it difficult to interpret).

The Jericho and Celeste one made me laugh. Does she always try to boss him around they way she seems to be in that pic? :D Nicely drawn, anyway. :)

I'm confused by the James self-portrait. Are you saying it's a self-portrait of you, posing as someone called James, or that someone called James drew it? I'm hoping the former, because I think it's lovely, so I hope it's your own work.

I can see the backseat driver one is clearly of you. :D That one made me chuckle too. Is the girl someone real, or just someone you made up?

The last two are interesting creatures. Are they enemies encountered in your games?

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 21:24 

Absentee (1)
James, Alex and Sam are all me - more or less. That's what the 'backseat driver' image is actually about.

The Gwyk are one of the playable races in IHO, and 'children' are robots. Generations I through VI were either simple machine designs or humanoid, so after the first contact war, Mother decided to try a Gwyk design. I'll get around to posting the IHO stuff soon, I promise.
The Bangaa are from certain Final Fantasy games, specifically the Ivalice ones.

As for the brujah, I was doodling him during a World of Darkness campaign. Once attention got back around to my character, the quality declined.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 13:03 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
[QUOTE=Myke;45951]The Bangaa are from certain Final Fantasy games, specifically the Ivalice ones.[/QUOTE]
I thought they seemed familiar! Just shows how long it is since I played FFXII.

Quote:
James, Alex and Sam are all me - more or less. That's what the 'backseat driver' image is actually about.

Not sure I quite understand how the 'backseat driver' one relates to them, but James is a persona of you. That's all I need to know. :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 11:38 

Absentee (1)
[QUOTE=dinowoman;45990]I thought they seemed familiar! Just shows how long it is since I played FFXII.

Not sure I quite understand how the 'backseat driver' one relates to them, but James is a persona of you. That's all I need to know. :)[/QUOTE]
Sam is quite often present when I'm surfing the web - speaking up about things or asking me to go to certain websites. James and Alex are usually in the background - I was going to draw them fighting, hence the floating arm.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 22:11 

Absentee (1)
[IHO] A Phoenix-class warship
[DDL] Elias Kierin, one of my characters for something or another. Began the session as an NPC wall guard, became the first prime of the fire god, ended by practically reducing the capital of the great nation of Soltara to rubble. Looking forward to next game.
[IHO] RRG-X180, 'Dizzy'. His cannon is also a concussive lance.
[ASH] The Usual Suspects-WIP.
Browsing the FFWiki I decided I was in love with the Before Crisis mug style, so on that thought I began a series of profile shots of the Obsidian Guard. We only have Max and Joshua at the moment, but hopefully I'll be updating with Tana, Szarke, Kaja, Imirian, Eve, Aphrael and some initiates (eg. Roxas, Celeste and Oren, despite the time paradox involved).

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 23:00 

That phoenix aircraft looks absolutely awesome. Dizzy and The Usual Suspects look fantastic as well.

[align=center]Image
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/align]
[align=center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]And from the ashes...
I was reborn...[/font][/align]

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 11:01 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I love "The Usual Suspects". I'm particularly impressed by the guy behind (is that Joshua?). I think the expression you've given him and the way you've angled his head give him a lot of character, and the shading around his neck and chest is excellent. The facial features of the guy in front (Max?) are beautifully drawn, and I love the detail you've put into his clothing. I just have one slight misgiving (if I've interpreted the picture correctly). Do I assume that's his elbow on the end of the visible part of his arm? If so, I think either his arms are a bit short or he's holding them at a rather unnatural angle. When I tried crossing my arms in front of my chest, like his appear to be, my elbows were only a little above my waist. But that is absolutely my only criticism of this picture. I think it's beautiful.

I was also impressed by your Phoenix class ship. It's nicely drawn and you've clearly put a great deal of thought into its design. It was interesting to read all the notes around the sketch.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 20:06 

Absentee (1)
Quote:
That phoenix aircraft looks absolutely awesome. Dizzy and The Usual Suspects look fantastic as well.
Thanks again, bro.

Quote:
I love "The Usual Suspects". I'm particularly impressed by the guy behind (is that Joshua?). I think the expression you've given him and the way you've angled his head give him a lot of character, and the shading around his neck and chest is excellent.
Yeah, that's Josh. And thanks, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the result - I've been linearting it in GIMP.

Quote:
The facial features of the guy in front (Max?) are beautifully drawn, and I love the detail you've put into his clothing. I just have one slight misgiving (if I've interpreted the picture correctly). Do I assume that's his elbow on the end of the visible part of his arm? If so, I think either his arms are a bit short or he's holding them at a rather unnatural angle. When I tried crossing my arms in front of my chest, like his appear to be, my elbows were only a little above my waist. But that is absolutely my only criticism of this picture. I think it's beautiful.
Lol 'Max'. You're right about the arm. I've been meaning to fix it, but I figured I'd do that when I get to him in GIMP. The original was worse; it had his opposite hand protruding (from the wrist down) from under it. Arms don't work like that x_x

and yeah ships are fun.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 01:13 

Absentee (1)
EMERGENCY UPDATE

[ASH] The Usual Suspects: Tana.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 12:11 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Very nicely drawn! I'm not sure which one I prefer now: Josh or Tana.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 19:00 

Absentee (1)
Maybe I can interest you in some Szarke, instead.

[ASH] The Usual Suspects 3; The Szarkening.
[ToB] Sibling duties - plz ignore terrible arm and giant head. Perspective is aaaaaaaa hard.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 19:25 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Yes, the proportions are a bit out, but the drawing of the head itself is beautiful, and the detail in his lower body is really nice. I think that visible leg is very well drawn. I like the pose of his prisoner(?) too, you've made a good job of him/her kneeling, from what looks like quite a trickly angle.

Szarke's nice too, but Tana and Josh are still my favourites.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 00:45 

Absentee (1)
Prisoner? Ahhh, if that's the impression it gives, it probably needs more work. He's supposed to be guarding Nera from some enemy in our direction.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 16:59 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Don't panic. Without a context, it's impossible to tell. There's nothing wrong with your drawing. I merely tried to interpret what was going on (hence the question mark). You had a guy with a sword and someone kneeling at his feet. Prisoner was the first thing that came to mind for a possible explanation. A more explanatory title would make it totally clear.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 20:52 

Absentee (1)
Pretty important update; Myke has a tablet again.

[ASH] Joshua the Chained, first colour work in a while.
[DDL] Toushiro as Vergil, playing with the pen tool. (Come on, I can't be the only one who sees the resemblance).

Haven't photo'd anything in a while due to lazy, but there's stuff coming.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 21:31 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
I like both of them, but I especially like the expression on Toushiro's face.

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 08:33 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Joshua looks good in colour. But I LOVE your Toushiro one! I had never even thought about a possible resemblance (probably because Toushiro looks like a child), but it's brilliant! He really does look like him! XD This definitely has to go up on the website.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 21:42 

Absentee (1)
Aaaa~
Thanks, guys. If I can convince photoshop to start doing what I want it to, I might shade it and give you a better version to upload. 'Till then, GIMP has my back.

[DDL] Orange Juice, for an /ic/ game.
[ASH] 'Max Izlude', now in stunning colour! That's about the twelfth (is that really how it's spelt? it looks so weird) set of arms he's gone through, and probably not the last.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 08:07 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
The orange juice one is nicely drawn, especially the orange, and I like the little touch of the drips down the side of the glass. The glass does seem unusually thick, though. (Not that that has to be fault: I have seen glasses that were thick as a decorative aspect of their design.)

I like the coloured version of Max It really brings out the details of his armour. The shading's nice too, particularly on his sleeve. His arms still don't look perfect, but they're definitely better than in the original pencil drawing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next