All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: ARTZ
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 21:13 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Did a few drawings for a certain project while I've been home this week, went to scan them, and figured that since I had my scanner convenient, might as well see if there was anything else I had laying around that would be worth uploading while I was at it.

Somehow I wound up scanning about 3/4 of my sketchbook. So, uh...yeah. Here you go.

...Basically this thread is just one long testament to my complete inability to ever finish anything.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Some more Project Domino stuff, just to prove I haven't just given up on it:

Image Image ImageImageImage

Drawings for an adventure game concept:

ImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image

A bunch of doodles of a set of Fakemon I've been working lately. Also some Gym Leader designs I dug up.

ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImage

And some other random crap:

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage Image
ImageImage

Post subject: Re: ARTZ
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 06:24 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Those are awesome! I love your drawing style and I'm impressed by your ability to draw such stylised, anime-like characters but give them such natural-looking poses. When I started viewing them I was intending to say which ones were my favourites but by the time I got to the end there were so many that had caught my eye it would be a bit pointless to list them all. A couple of them seemed vaguely familiar. Have you put any of them on Facebook in the past?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 14:13 
Veteran

Yeah, most of the colored/inked ones are on my Facebook. I don't think any of the pencil ones are though.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 13:36 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
caduceus/images/16083357132635226142.png
caduceus/images/22343980046304340411.png
caduceus/images/26159664145076236696.png

Best.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2014, 19:35 
Veteran

More artz.

-------
A work in progress.

------
Star Trek.

------
A dwarf.

------
Project Domino.

------
Posthumous.

------
Fakemon.

------
Stuff.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 16:44 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
caduceus/images/16095088975059986904.png
I honestly cant' find anything in this compilation that isn't really awesome, but I think my very favourite is the guy dead centre, top. The pose, expression, aesthetic design is all so win.

caduceus/images/69179967238220871520.png
This may be the most perfect portrait you've ever drawn. I honestly don't really know how to break down a criticism for it; the shading is perfect, the expression is subtle but obvious, the hair is natural and very cool, your leftover guidelines are just enough to give it a distinctive style that is highly appealing and, well, it's perfect. Do you care if I use it for stuff now and then?

caduceus/images/54224516733549689039.png
That is STILL a really awesome boot. Good to see the dwarf again.

caduceus/images/37905089136879287912.png
Baaaartleeeett
Why did we stop working on that project?

caduceus/images/01335693783917170409.png
Is this an Alakazam thing? It scores very high on the cool metre.

Overall: Your hand work is greatly improving, though it's still a bit primitive where the hands have to work in tandem, like with Bartlett. Also i can't help but notice that in the last image I relinked to in this post, the guy in the background has his thumbs on the wrong sides of his hands.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 18:16 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I shall repeat what I said in my last post - that I love your drawing style. And there are so many really nice ones amongst all these that it's hard to pick out favourites. McCoy is certainly one of them though. As I said when you put him on Facebook, I'm really impressed by how well you've captured his likeness. In the first of the images that Ethan linked to there are several characters that I like very much. The guy Ethan pointed out definitely has the coolest outfit, but overall I think I'd go with the one to the left of him (our left, not his) - I love his casual pose - and maybe also the guy on the far left at the bottom (he reminds me a little of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine). The elf-guy's pretty cool too, as is the bottom-right guy. I'm not sure exactly what he's doing with that staff but he's giving the impression that he's about to throw it like a javelin. Once again, a really cool pose.

Moving down, I was quite impressed by the way you've got the guy in the third pic looking so threatening as he wields that chain/bolas thing. I was also particularly impressed by the head and front paws on the dog. And in the one where Ethan commented on the boot, I'd like to add that, in addition to the nice boot design, you've done a great job on the leg positioning in the sitting version. Looks really natural. I could go on and on, but those are probably the ones that stood out most for me.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2014, 19:13 
Veteran

Zeth wrote:
caduceus/images/69179967238220871520.png
This may be the most perfect portrait you've ever drawn. I honestly don't really know how to break down a criticism for it; the shading is perfect, the expression is subtle but obvious, the hair is natural and very cool, your leftover guidelines are just enough to give it a distinctive style that is highly appealing and, well, it's perfect. Do you care if I use it for stuff now and then?

:D No, knock yourself out. I just wish I could replicate it. I've been working and working on getting the TOS cast down so I could draw some cartoons with them, but they're proving tricky and Shatner the most of all. I did that one, somehow, and then haven't been able to figure out HOW I did it again.

Quote:
Baaaartleeeett
Why did we stop working on that project?

I have no idea.

Quote:
http://mercuryice.com/caduceus/images/01335693783917170409.png
Is this an Alakazam thing? It scores very high on the cool metre.

Overall: Your hand work is greatly improving, though it's still a bit primitive where the hands have to work in tandem, like with Bartlett. Also i can't help but notice that in the last image I relinked to in this post, the guy in the background has his thumbs on the wrong sides of his hands.

Nope, that's Malachi and Senán. And yes, not only is Mal's hand backwards, but so is Senán's left one, which I did not notice until considerably after I had finished and scanned it. >_< Hands are hard.

Dinowoman wrote:
I shall repeat what I said in my last post - that I love your drawing style. And there are so many really nice ones amongst all these that it's hard to pick out favourites. McCoy is certainly one of them though. As I said when you put him on Facebook, I'm really impressed by how well you've captured his likeness.

Aw, thanks. Bones is far and away the easiest one to draw. He's also my favorite character, so that works out nicely.

Quote:
The guy Ethan pointed out definitely has the coolest outfit, but overall I think I'd go with the one to the left of him (our left, not his) - I love his casual pose - and maybe also the guy on the far left at the bottom (he reminds me a little of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine). The elf-guy's pretty cool too, as is the bottom-right guy. I'm not sure exactly what he's doing with that staff but he's giving the impression that he's about to throw it like a javelin. Once again, a really cool pose.

I'm glad these guys meet with approval because I've been spending a lot of time trying to get their designs right (except for the guy on the bottom left-that was just kind of a doodle that worked out). They're from a DND/RPG-based urban fantasy comic which has been in my head since sometime around the fifth grade. I'm made some progress that I'm happy with, although Charlie's akubra hat is still giving me problems.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :blush: Sometimes I feel like I draw constantly but never get anywhere. It's great to have a vote of confidence every now and then.