All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: dino's photos
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2008, 19:01 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Nothing much has been happening in this forum since the art contest, so in an attempt to get some activity going I'm posting some of the photos I took over the summer. They're not really arty - just some of the ones I like out of the masses I took.

Oslo

Sailing boats
Harbour view
Harbour in the evening
Yacht at sea
Ski jump
Ski jump landing
View from the top
Folk museum - town street
Folk museum - village
Folk Museum - Stave church

And because I'm dinowoman... :p

T-rex
8ft Deinocheirus arms (detail)

Doctor Who Exhibition (London)

Cyberman
Cybermen

And no Doctor Who event would be complete without...

Dalek

Does anyone else have any interesting/attractive photos that they took over the summer?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 17:17 
I really like the pictures from Folk Museum. Especially the town street one.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 09:34 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I decided to post a few more of the photos I took while out looking for possible pictures for the spring art contest. Unfortunately I have a crappy, cheap, fixed-focus camera, so the quality isn't exactly brilliant. (Looks enviously at Raine with his wonderful digital SLR. :p)

Under the railway
Hard to believe it's a residental street
Reflections 1
Reflections 2
Steps
Canal Towpath
Hatton Bottom Lock
Through the Wardrobe?
Canal Bridge

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 11:49 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
I think "Through the Wardrobe?" is my favorite, simply because of the Narnia reference. :D
(It's also an interesting photo.)

Other than that, I think "Hatton Bottom Lock" and "Canal Bridge" are the best compositions because they have such strong leading lines to a focal point.

"Reflections 1" is a better composition than "Reflections 2" because there's a more obvious focal point (the ducks) whose water trails lead the eye back to the bridge.

"Under the Railway" is good because it has a framing effect by the trees around the tunnel thing.

"Residential Street" is visually confusing simply because there is no focal point. My eye moved through it rather wildly, with no clear direction. Also, the branches that come forward toward the viewer lead the eye off the picture plane, and there's not really anything that leads it back. Perhaps if you zoomed in closer to one specific subject, it would be less visually confusing.

Overall, you have some good pictures. And I've found that through creativity and looking at things in an unusual way, even point-and-shoot cameras can produce interesting photos, which you've achieved with some of these. :)

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 13:06 

Reflections 1 I really like, just as Kat said, the fact is has a clear focal point, and it actually looks really, really good. And I just like the scenery. Hatton Bottom Lock is cool too. Good pics there Dino!

~Begin the annihilation~

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 15:14 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
[QUOTE=KatieKat;33786]"Residential Street" is visually confusing simply because there is no focal point. My eye moved through it rather wildly, with no clear direction. Also, the branches that come forward toward the viewer lead the eye off the picture plane, and there's not really anything that leads it back. Perhaps if you zoomed in closer to one specific subject, it would be less visually confusing.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I agree with you. I liked it because I was aware that I was standing on a street in a town, surrounded by houses, and yet the picture looked like the middle of a wood. But yes, artistically it doesn't really have a lot going for it.

Thanks for the comments. :)

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 15:25 
Veteran

Medals: 8
Most Creative (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) 2008 Mercury Halloween Contest (1) Mercury T-shirt Design Contest (1) Best Photographer (4)
Yeah, to see that on a residential street is pretty cool, and certainly unusual.

[align=center]Image[/align]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 17:32 

Medals: 1
Best Traditional Artist (1)
Canal Towpath is definitely my favorite. I just love the lighting and contrast! The way the path veers slightly off center towards the middle of the piece is also nice. It draws the eye further into the distance. ^__^

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 21:23 

http://community.livejournal.com/100_snapshots/profile

I really like "Canal Bridge". I'm not sure why, it just stuck with me...

[[EDITED.]]

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2009, 12:07 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
You shouldn't really be plugging that because it's a site, rather than a set of photos, and advertising isn't allowed. But presumably you completed the challenge. Could you edit your link to point to your photos, so we could see what you produced? Once you've got 50 posts, you can plug your community on the Billboards.

Btw, I thought that was a fascinating idea, challenging people to take a set of photos interpreting a list of words. Maybe we could try that here one day (though 100 would be too many for a small, general purpose forum like this).

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 00:16 

[QUOTE=dinowoman;33909]You shouldn't really be plugging that because it's a site, rather than a set of photos, and advertising isn't allowed. But presumably you completed the challenge. Could you edit your link to point to your photos, so we could see what you produced? Once you've got 50 posts, you can plug your community on the Billboards.

Btw, I thought that was a fascinating idea, challenging people to take a set of photos interpreting a list of words. Maybe we could try that here one day (though 100 would be too many for a small, general purpose forum like this).[/QUOTE]

oh wow, i'm really sorry, I didn't even think about it breaking a rule. I'll just get rid of the link. o_<

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 16:25 

Medals: 1
Best Graphic Artist (1)
I really like the "Harbour View" photo, the colours are interesting and give off a filter type effect, but im guessing no filter was involved.

On the whole i really like all of your images, they give off a photo journal type style that brings you into the world of Dino, i think that is what appeals to me the most.

[align=center][CENTER]Image[/align]
Il patriottismo è la virtù del vizioso.

[/CENTER]

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 11:30 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
No filter was involved. I took it with my hubby's rather old digicam, which doesn't allow any attachments. I may have brightened it up a bit afterwards. Can't remember now. I took those about year ago. But I do remember the light on that day was quite interesting. It had been sunny, but then clouded over, but the sun was still shining over to the west, which created a kind of reflected glow on everything that was under the clouds.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 10:31 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Now that I've uploaded some of my Berlin photos, I thought I'd post some of them here (assorted shapes and sizes due to me cropping some where I couldn't get in close enough, and resizing most, but not all, of them).

In the City
An der Spree
Reichstagsgebäude
Soviet War Memorial
Brandenburger Tor (From behind because they were setting up a big stage in front, ready for celebrating the 20th anniversary of the end of the Wall)
Living statues
Tiergarten - Lake
Tiergarten - Trees
Tiergarten - Still Waters

Wannsee
Sailing boat
Marina
Evangelische Kirche St. Peter und Paul
On the Banks of the Lake 1
On the Banks of the Lake 2
Quiet Corner

Zoo
Elephants
Sunbathing
Bear
I love these wolves
Time for a Backscratch
Hippo Family
Playtime
Tiger
Goose
Lake 1
Lake 2

Edit:
I've just been looking through the photos I took off the camera before I went and, specially for ClanSoul, I decided to post these (though artistically they're not exactly inspiring).

Twycross Zoo
Giraffes 1
Giraffes 2
Giraffes 3
Giraffes 4

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 13:06 

Medals: 4
Best Newcomer (1) Best Graphic Artist (3)
YES!
The third one is the best. Look at him go.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 19:27 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Skinhead has requested more animals, so here are some more zoo pics.

Berlin Zoo
Time to relax
Playtime's over
I think it was a mongoose
Anyone know what this is? ('Cause I don't.)
Some sort of goose
Ostrich family
I knew what this was when I took the picture :confused:
Black bear
Underwater hippo 1(what a pity someone's reflection got in the way)
Underwater hippo 2

Twycross Zoo
Rest time for a capybara
Something related to a llama (but it's not an alpaca)
Leopard
Which type are these? Bactrian?
Apparently he'd been reading the paper just before I arrived
Giant tortoise
Meerkats
Meerkats again
Snowy owl
I can't remember what these are
Penguin detail

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 10:27 

Medals: 7
Funniest Member (1) Best Writer (2) Too Sexy For This Site (4)
Yay! I love the giant tortoise one, but im afraid the capybara is a shade - just a shade mind - cooler. For best picture, id give it to the goose.

Oh, and the thing that you knew what it was when you took the picture was (and probably still is) an Eland. Largest antelope on earth, can weigh up to a ton. I actually saw one getting taken down by Zulu, it was... interesting. And immensely dramatic.

Don't think about Elephants.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 20:42 

Out of the first group I have to say its hard for me to say what I think is the coolest.. the Cybermen or the Dalek.... then in the next set I like the Through the wardrobe photo the best... Then my favroite photo of all is in the next group On the banks of the lake one is just very appealing to me. The natural scene with the tower sticking up in the back ground just really made it catch my eye. Then there is the last group If only you could have poked those lazy merkats that were laying on the tree instead of standing it might have been my favriote... like all of them I really do like the animal photos too though lol

[font=Arial]The ink from an author\'s pen is the connection between the page and the soul that leads one to worlds near and far, through joy and sadness, into calm seas with warm waters and out of foreboding forests forever guiding those who would explore a page.[/font]

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 05:01 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Thanks for the the nice comments.

And thanks for the info, Henry. Your Africa trip has even proved to be useful back here on the forums. (Did you ever learn to identify birds, or are they still divided into ostriches and everything else?) :D

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 15:03 

Medals: 7
Funniest Member (1) Best Writer (2) Too Sexy For This Site (4)
Hahaha, nah i know the Neisner Luri (but i cant spell it), the African Hoopooe, the Felted Flycatcher, the Hadida Ibus, Glossy Starling, various Mousebirds, Southern Bulbul, Blacksmith Plover, and (inexplicably) the Egyptian Goose. Oh yeah, and the common Ostrich. There was actually a fairly amusing incident when i accidentally managed to convince my tutor that there was an Ostrich loose in town... his face was a picture.

Don't think about Elephants.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 12:51 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Been meaning to post these for a while. The first two were taken when we took ClanSoul to the Cape of Good Hope pub when he came to visit at New Year. The third one (quality's not too good - the camera was struggling with the lack of light, but I thought the sky looked pretty) I took on my way to Japanese last week.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject: Re: dino's photos
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 06:54 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Munich photos.

These are some photos I took more for their aesthetic value than as a record of our holiday. (And I realise I went totally overboard in the botanical gardens - can't resist plants and trees; they're so photogenic. :P)

Candles and flowers
Frauenkirche
Swans in the setting sun (I wish I could edit out that bike wheel. I was being blinded by the sun and couldn't see that it was in the picture at the time)
Deutsches Museum tower
Evening on the lake 1
Evening on the lake 2
Red and Green
Fallen
Cory the Cactus
Flower spike 1
Aquarium - Weed
Aquarium - Stone
Aquarium - Wood
Aquarium - Plants
Aquarium - Swarm
Prehistoric landscape 1
Prehistoric landscape 2
Bromeliad
Flower spike 2
Pink and Purple
Landscape on a cold day
Berries and Flowers
Mariensäule
Light
Bell
V2
The Isar
Autumn leaves 1
Autumn leaves 2
Wasser und Laub

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 19:06 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Munich is such a pretty Place (at least the Garden), anyway.

I believe your "Flower Spike 1" is a Strelitzia, or Bird of Paradise Flower.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 14:16 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Ah!! I did wonder what it was when I came to caption it. I'm sure it was labelled, but at the time I was more interested in the fact that it might make a pretty picture than in checking what it was. :P

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2012, 14:19 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I thought I had commented earlier!

I really like Fallen, Mariensäule, and Candles and Flowers. Especially Candles and Flowers.