All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Jayge's Stoof
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 02:27 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
If you don't mind it being tried out by someone whose gaming skills generally leave a lot to be desired then I'd be happy to have a go.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 16:16 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Alrighty :)

Click me!

You'll need to download the zip linked here, unpack it somewhere, then run the .exe. The .exe and the folder contained in the zip need to be in the same place for it to work. Because we're using Unity, the .exe should run just fine on its own. Just select a resolution to run with and hit play, and it should throw you straight in.

Controls are as follows for Xbox Gamepad / Keyboard and mouse:

Movement: Left analogue stick / WASD
Camera: Right analogue stick / mouse
Light Attack: X / Left click
Heavy Attack: Y / Right click
Dodge Roll: A / Space
Run: B / LeftShift
Get/Switch Targets: L/R Bumper / Q or E
Deselect Target: Both Bumpers / Tab
Reset Level: Start / P
Exit Game: Back / Esc

I'd highly recommend a gamepad for this, as the keyboard layout is a little clunky, but I don't know how it'll respond to anything that isn't an xbox game pad, due to lack of testing xD;

[ulr=http://ct6008-13g.studentsites.glos.ac.uk/]We've also got a website set up![/url]

It's currently hosted by the university, but we should be moving to a private domain before long. I'll try to get our web manager person to start putting up links to more dl&run zips as we get them done, so I'll let peeps know when a new build is available for testing, if you guys would like? XD

In any case, there's a lot that needs work still. I'll put up the current buglist for people to look out for if enough people are interested in testing this a little more seriously ^^; Though if anyone does notice anything not working the way they'd expect it to, please do let me know here. Some things might just be clunky test-assets, but if there are genuine bugs that we're not aware of yet, fixing those will go a long way towards turning this into an actual product :D

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 19:31 

As a quick question, by the by, I'm quite likely to jump straight into another games dev project immediately after I've finished my term at University, and I'm thinking about livestreaming every part of the process that I'm able to. If I'm able to set this up, would anyone be interested in watching?

Also, figured I'd put these up here, some renders of the main character model for Keeper City:

Generic front/left/back views:
Spoiler: show

Assorted views:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 21:50 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I'd be interested in watching, although I can't vouch for how often I'd be ABLE to watch.

Also I like the relative visual anonymity of the KC protagonist.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 02:35 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I likewise would be interested but not necessarily able. If the stream's timed for American viewers (I know the sorts of hours you tend to keep XD) it'd likely be too late for me, though if it's during the (school, as opposed to uni) summer holidays I might be able to stay up occasionally.

And I also agree with Ethan about your character design. Quite unusual to have a protagonist whose face you don't see (Master Chief is the only other one who springs readily to mind).

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 17:42 

XD I hadn't really considered time zones, that could make things interesting. I'll probably give it a try once Uni's done with and see how things go. If I can make it just a weekly thing where I work on some personal project, that'd be cool :D

Heh, honestly, we mostly went that way to avoid modelling faces/hair. It works well with the plot/setting due to the nature of the Ether Pollution that powers everything, so everyone has to wear a gas mask and some protective shielding just to get by. We also thought it'd be cool to have the Hunter be something of a silent protagonist, so the players can really project themselves if they want to.

Mostly just to avoid faces though >.>;;;;

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 19:54 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Well whatever your motivations I'd prefer to see more characters like that.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 21:22 

:D

Well, we've also got this guy, the main supporting character Garland Rowles:

Influenced heavily by Caulder's design (we initially wanted the Merdegrave Guild's leader to be pretty much a spear-wielding Caulder. It would have been awesome if we could get that coat working xD ), this was the first character model we managed to finish and get put into the game. The only part of this I had a hand in was the texturing, and sadly we had two very inexperienced character modellers working on it at different stages, so it turned out kinda...weird. But ah well. He looks pretty cool in game :)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:11 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
Is it intended that Merdegrave (parsed merde grave) is French for something roughly translatable as Solemn Shit?

More positively, it's nice to see that a usefully anonymous Character was born of Pragmatism.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 22:57 

Not at all, actually XD It's taken from an odd historical thing that happened over here back when the French did a thing and took over for a while. We had a place called Merdegrave, which just meant something harmless in olde english, to the best of my knowledge, but the french took it to mean something else, and renamed it Belgrave.

It's pretty suitable for the guild, as their end-game goal is to deal with the pollution, even if it means removing the most productive source of power on the planet.

I thought it was clever xD I may have been wrong, but meh. I still like it.