All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Plushy Knight
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 04:35 

For those of you who don't know: I'm currently going to school for game design (specifically production and level design), at FIEA we're made up of producers, artists, and programmers, it's really great to be able to work with such a diverse skillset of peeps, just like in the industry!

We're currently working on our thesis.

I'm no longer working on 1st Edition, the project got cut (something they want us to understand and learn here as it happens all the time in the industry, I also took several lessons from the experience itself), and now I'm working on a game called Plushy Knight. The art style and art team in general is fucking phenomenal, they've done so much these past couple months.

I'm dissapointed to see 1st Edition go (it was my baby), but I'm excited to be working on such a talented team on a game that reminds me of Ico meets Kingdom Hearts. I'll be keeping you guys updated (FYI, cut round is gone and done with, Plushy Knight won't get cut unless if we start really slacking).

Here's a more updated status update.

Seriously, check out this art

High res

(I usually post this sort of stuff in gaming threads, but whatever)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 15:00 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
That all looks extremely impressive. I'm used to seeing people posting their designs for games, but it's rare that anyone ever manages to produce a working one (on these kinds of forums, at any rate). IIRC, Cata's the only other person here he's been involved in a game design that made it all the way to a working product. I love the artwork, and it's fascinating to listen to the various members of the development team discussing the problems and issues involved.
[QUOTE=Leon;207936](I usually post this sort of stuff in gaming threads, but whatever)[/QUOTE]A topic like this would be equally at home here, for the design, in the Techs' Den, for the programming, or in the Games section, since it's... well... a game. :P

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2012, 00:06 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1)
1st Edition got canceled? Aw. =( That looked SO awesome.

But man that art is phenomenal, Nate. I like the way it looks like it's turning out.

Please keep us updated! It's really exciting to see you work on your dream. <3

Sig credit: (x)
Ava credit: (x)
Previous usernames: Belle, Medusa, Miriel

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 01:01 

Week 8 Update

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 12:55 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
It was really interesting to see how the game has progressed. It's actually looking like a working game now, with the inclusion of speech, and the battles taking place within a context. I really like the look of it.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 21:14 

It's been a while, but here's an update from a couple of our artists

At the end of break (in 3 weeks) we'll probably have a playable build. I'll see if I can get it for you guys.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 23:31 
Root Administrator

Staffer of the Year (4) Master Debater (4) Best Poster (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1) Best Blogger (3)
Arcade Monarch (1) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Most Serious (1) Brainiac (2) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1)
I'd love to try it if that's possible!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 03:54 
Veteran

Medals: 9
Master Debater (1) Lovable Asshole (2) Too Sexy For This Site (1) Brave New Worlds (1) The Comm's Fanart Contest (1)
Most Badass (1) Master Debater (1) Interwebz Anonymous (1)
Looking forward to seeing how this plays. Never been a big fan of action games, but independent projects always have my attention. I also write for a little gaming site called Rare Candies so if you need a plug later on in development, I'd be happy to write something.

Hell, if we're ready on our end, we could swap demos and I could compare notes and you can laugh at my shitty flash game. :P

"Those are brave men," he told Ser Balon in admiration. "Let's go kill them."
-Tyrion Lannister, A Clash of Kings

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 00:15 

I'd love to take you up on that!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 08:23 
Root Administrator

I could probably get someone to write a piece for DHGF as well. Gaming Bus probably wouldn't do it, because Chris is weird about stuff like that, but I could try with them, too.

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 12:33 

https://vimeo.com/42477057

Walkthrough of what we have so far

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 12:35 

Also, my website for everything else I've been doing:

http://www.nateyelle.com/

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 17:07 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
The game is looking ever more impressive, and it was really interesting to listen to all the explanation in the voiceover.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 09:58 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
This is really freaking good stuff :O I hope this does well, your team deserves it xD

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 13:15 

https://vimeo.com/44714908

more stuff

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 13:17 

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLydbTvqZBg

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 16:03 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
That looks gorgeous! The completed graphics are utterly beautiful.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 20:56 
Root Administrator

I'm excited for this. =)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 00:12 

The build isn't up yet, we've been running into licensing problems.

But I recorded a run-through of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTaZXvvhFDo&feature=plcp

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 13:07 
Root Administrator

Okay wow I just watched that whole thing and uh, not the story I expected. I was expecting just cute plushy bear fighting bad guys, but in 20 minutes that had more story and emotion in it than most full-length high-budget games. Whoever scripted that did an excellent job, especially the part where they're going through that cave after the boss fight--the wordplay and flow was flawless. And the very last thing she does (trying not to spoil it here for anyone else) is extremely touching. It actually reminds me of something that happened to me when I was a child, so I admit I got a bit teary-eyed at that point.

I dunno, there's just a lot of details in here that I appreciate, like the bad guys breaking into Polaroids and the glowy feeling of everything (the music really helped), and the voice acting is good, especially the female. For a project that took you what, a school year to do? I mean I don't know a lot about game design but I am really impressed with how well it was put together, especially for that short of time. You guys did great.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 07:04 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
I'd listened to the various voiceover explanations during the 'making-of' videos, so I already had a pretty good idea of what it was about but, even with that fore-knowledge I still found it very moving, especially her final act. I think the whole thing's beautiful, both visually and story-wise, and it's remarkably adult, despite the central characters being a little girl and her teddy bear.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 02:24 

Medals: 1
Faux Album Contest (1)
Now I am glad I waited it out till now to post something. I been secretly watching this whole time as posts have been put up and I felt if I was to post earlier It would've been too critical not as constructive but I been holding out hope for the results it's gotten to lately. The trailer and the last build run through so far look great. The bear even looks plushy-er than before which is very great given the title. Lighting that had looked skewed or off before is now spot on and like dino said those voice overs were great. I do have a question. The girl's facial reactions. How did you go about the animation straight cg or mocap? because they are very good if they aren't mocap.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 23:07 

Facial reactions are hand-animated. We also purposefully made sure there was no lip syncing, otherwise that would've taken far longer to do, and the script had to go through several iterations, just like everything else on the project. Talking through heads made sense with the context, too.

I'm 99% sure that we used mo-cap as a base for only some in-game stuff, then iterated on it afterwards (we tried mo-caping a giant spider but it turned ugly). Our animators, Tiffany and Tammy are stupid talented at what they do.

For more info you should check out PlushyKnight.com

Thanks guys, I hope to get a build up online soon.