All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Death's sketchbook
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 16:55 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I always like looking at your sketches. I love your drawing style. And it's great to see some illustrations of your HR characters.

I was also amused by your little side sketches - is that you sitting at the high desk in front of a laptop (and falling asleep)? And what's with the enormous spider that appears to be nomming the ceiling? :P

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 18:14 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
Heh, that was the spider that was staring at me from the ceiling all night. I'm pretty sure that it was ready to eat me, and at some point it just disappeared. Hate it when they do that :/

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 11:45 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Oh god yes. Then they could be anywhere.

Also, words cannot express how much I envy your coat-drawing abilities.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 08:29 

'Tis the result of having far too many long-coat wearing OCs >.>; I need to come up with a better way of making characters look interesting xD;

As someone who really enjoys contractions: It's what it's.

Also I make games sometimes!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 18:26 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I'm perfectly happy for you to keep drawing long-coat-wearing characters. I agree with Mage - I envy your coat-drawing abilities. Your coat-wearing characters always look so good!

Post subject: Re: Death's sketchbook
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 00:37 

So I'm bringing this back xD Update time. Finally got around to plugging in the scanner and saving down some of the stuff I've had sitting around since before Christmas.

(edit: Now with 100% less imageshack!)

Battledroid based on General Grievous, concept pages:
Image Image Image

Possible Redesign for Syn:

Possible Redesign for Jayge:

Frost:

Caulder:

Designs for Xander:
Image Image

A Lizardman:

A Sith Lord (Probably a Sorc, dammit SWTOR >< ) :

Creature Concept (not really sure what yet thought) :

And a page of character scribbles:

Enjoy!

Edit: And a couple more!

Portrait attempt of Shaina:

Annnnd an attempt at Richard: (Warning, excessively swanky)

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 08:09 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
uggghhhh imageshack

Jayge wrote:
Battledroid based on General Grievous, concept pages:
Click1!

Click2!

Click3!

the first two links lead to the same page

also do I detect necron influence in the design?

Quote:
Creature Concept (not really sure what yet thought) : Click!

all I see is a plague-mask doctor lol

everything here is neat, keep it up

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 15:17 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Myke wrote:
the first two links lead to the same page
Exactly what I was going to say. :P

As always you've got some lovely drawings there. Richard's awesome! XD I like the Syn one very much too.The first Xander picture is exactly how I imagined him. Nice to know I was getting the right impression from your description. I'm also delighted to see Caulder depicted because I was having trouble properly visualising him in my mind, though your description is perfectly accurate. (Btw I love that little sketch of him with a drink in the character scribbles. XD) I presume your lizardman is a general lizardman, otherwise I expect you'd have called him a Drome (and he doesn't quite match Ethan's drome design), but whatever he is, I like him.

Post subject: Re: Jayge's sketchbook
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 17:20 
Veteran

Best Newcomer (1) Most Serious (1) The Merger Contest (1)
The Designs are most intriguing, and I very much like the potential new Design for Syn, though I would recommend Dropbox to you for future File-Sharing Things if you don't already have it (the Public Folder can be used for Links to Images); the Caulder sticks out as the most Unique to me, but I very much like the Level of Detail which also appears on the Lizardman, as well as some others.

Joy-Ling of DeviantArt made the Trainer Creator used in making this Avatar: Try it!

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2013, 23:52 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
The Jayge redesign is pretty awesome, but I can't say I like the Syn redesign that much. He seems sorta...bland. I'm also really happy to see Caulder, sincen ot only does he look totally badass, but I too was having a little trouble envisioning him. The Sith Lord is also totally awesome.

You already know I'm totally asquee about both Shaina and Richard. Eeeespecially Richard. He's hard to capture.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 00:24 
Veteran

Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
I really like your lizardman. More specifically, I really like the design of his armor and gear and the way you drew it. It all fits together very nicely. The Sith dude is pretty cool too.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 21:45 

Medals: 1
L Award (1)
Very nice. I think Jayge's art style lends it's self well to drawing Richard actually.

Formerly Avalon

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 09:46 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Imageshack continues to only work sporadically, I observe.
You should try using Caduceus.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 11:04 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Yes, for Mercury use Caduceus is easily the the most convenient host. Imageshack wasn't working too well for me when I first tried to view all those images. I had been going to remark that four of them weren't displaying, but then found that other people and viewed and commented on them so I went back and tried again later and that time it worked.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 17:03 

Thanks all :D I will sort out a Caduceus account for the next upload, and put these up properly ><;
I've been using imageshack for ages, and usually found it to be quite reliable (for me at least, and you've all probably seen how infrequently I make use of it anyway with my updates). This time was more than a little frustrating with the way they've changed things. Time to move on methinks ^^;;

Rather large Necron-esque design with the Grievous-droid. I kinda used them as references for my earlier studies of skeletal anatomy ^^; It's good to see the old metalbones still show influence today XD

I'm glad people approve of Caulder's design, he's probably one of my favourite OCs at the moment, and I'll try to get more pics of him done to better establish the way his suit works and such. Syn's redesign was more an exploration of ideas for functional outfits, I kept getting him mixed up with another, similar OC from the Realm while working on it though, so I guess that would explain the bland-ness. Jayge underwent a similar thing as well. I keep looking at his older pics and wonder why I've never given him actual amour aside from the greaves, so I wanted to put some more obvious plating on him, especially with the jacket. There's a few pics of his redesign that I'll be throwing up at some point when I'm happy with them. The one I've put up here is of an older version of him, one that's surpassed the more casual side of the cold-weakness, and thus doesn't need the extra padding, so lighter clothes all-round. I still really like the greaves though ><;
The lizardman started as a sketch of a character I'd created when a friend of mine got me to start Skyrim (haven't played it since, but it was fun being a wizard-lizard for a while), and I wanted to play around with how I felt Argonians should look more reptilian in body-shape and such, as a re-textured human with a tail strapped on (and clipping through every piece of clothing in the game) really bugged me.

Everything was really fun to do :) Especially Richard and Shaina. I'll have to do more Comm/Mercury stuff from here on~

Edit: Blerp, nevermind, I've already got Caduceus set up and everything. Will replace the links up there now ^^;

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 21:09 

So here's a thing :P
Spoiler: show

Was doing some work on facial expressions, and figured Jayge would be perhaps the best candidate. The sketches have been compiled from various pages of sketchbooks, to explain the sudden degradation of quality in the bottom two. I'll get around to colouring them all eventually ^^;;

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 03:30 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Really cool! :) My favourite is the top one where he's looking to his right, but the full-length one is pretty awesome too.

Has Jayge now lost his pony-tail? I initially thought that red bit was was part of the band holding it, but the bottom right drawing seems to suggest that extends down his back so I'm not sure what it is - or is it a pony-tail bound for its whole length?

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 13:59 

He's still got it, but I can't seem to decide on the length of the binding. It kinda stops at about his shoulders, then there's just hair XD

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 14:35 
Administrator

Holy frakkin frell that's amazing.
Literally the only criticism I can generate is that in the full body sketch his nonhuman hand looks a bit off, but I can't even put my finger on why that is.

Your face work has improved a thousand fold, minimum.

EDIT:
Now that I look at it again, that sad face near the centre has a somewhat odd shape going on with the head, but I think that's just the hair playing tricks.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 17:19 

Thanks dude :)

Yeah, the hand really is off, I think it's the angle that the wrist is at and bad foreshortening combining forces to make it look odd and flat, I guess? I couldn't settle on what I wanted that hand to be doing, literally redrew it like six times or so, and I think it should be more...tilted, from the bottom, so it looks more like a 'here's a hand' than a 'my wrist snapped' xD

The sadface is too stretched, I think. The distance between his chin and his cheeks is about the same as that of the, uh, laughing(I don't even know what emotion he's really displaying there, I think he just won a game or something?) face, so it looks very long, and is tilted in an equally odd way. I don't think chins work like that ^^;; Was also the first time I've really tried drawing him from that side, which was a weird realisation to make, so I haven't got much practice with drawing that side of his hair XD

I'm trying to get into doing more facework, as it's literally the thing I've done least, aside from drawing females of any description, so it's nice to see I'm doing well :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5