All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Myke audio
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 01:44 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
I was absolutely enamoured with Robert J Defendi's audiobook, 'Death by Cliché,' so I decided to try my hand at it.

'Clean' version.
Added sound effects

If you can spare 20mb, I recommend downloading both versions. Listen to the first minute or so of each and you'll know which you prefer.
And in case my accent makes it hard to understand, below is the script. Loosely.

Quote:
The first tremor went mostly unnoticed, except by the half-gnome. Perhaps because she was so close to the ground, perhaps because she was the most attentive. The others only noticed the second and third tremors due to the distinct lack of her voice in the argument. Before long, everyone had fallen silent and was seeking the source of this quake.
"A spell?" Joshua had his fingers in the dirt, the other hand raised and locked in a somatic symbol - his forefinger and pinkie touching, extended, all others folded. His eyes twitched to and fro as though reading an invisible book, his mouth a steely line.
"No, I'd have recognised it," Svent said, hands on her hips.
"It feels as though someone is trying to pound their way out of the earth," offered Kaja, scanning the horizon. His body was tense, ready for battle. "It feels familiar. It feels as though I should be afraid."

Throughout the babbling, Szarke had been watching Hayt. Her eyes were narrowed and her stance was motionless. By the time the others had caught on, the tremor was actually throwing them off-balance. Eyes were wide, pulses were racing. Hayt smiled his infuriating smile.

"He has slept for eons. He was content to do so." The prince raised his gaze to the heavens, watching the eastern sky. His scarf flapped, as it always did. His eyes were calm, endearing. His fists were clenched tightly. "The last time he woke, ninety per-cent of the earth's life fell extinct. He had merely reared his head out of curiosity."
The tremors were now full-blown quakes. The unified screams of humanity whispered in from all directions, a single wail of terrible despair. The earth before them split, a jagged line running clear to each coast. One side shifted upwards, exposing nearly three-hundred yards of forgotten stone and fossils. Dirt streamed from its lip onto their plate, trees and boulders alike crashing to the ground.
"The time before that, our sun was not yet born. Before that, space was being spun from the threads of nothing."

While his comrades looked on, faces awash with shameless terror, Hayt watched the head of an old friend emerge. Well, they technically hadn't met yet, but causality was meaningless in an encounter like this. He'd known since about the eighth century that they would meet, and he was fairly confident the knowledge was mutual.

To the uninformed observer, it could have been mistaken for the rising moon - some form of optical illusion causing it to appear so large. As another tremor hit and sent their tectonic plate sliding under the other, it became apparent that this thing was clearly not the moon. Its spherical head was caged in what appeared to be bone - a ring of stone emerging from its temples and guarding what appeared to be its forehead. A similar formation ran from the ring to its 'chin,' and smaller rings gave the appearance of ribs. Two tremendous horns curved back from where the primary guard emerged, hideous things that suspended an impossible light between them. It spewed every colour imaginable, in astounding brilliance, while remaining completely dark. Weaker minds snapped across the planet.
As its first set of shoulders emerged, bearing similar rings and spikes, Hayt turned to his friends, gesturing toward the emerging horror as though merely displaying a pack of gum. What at first had appeared to be smooth surfaces were revealed to be something closer to fur. In truth, these dark strands whipping in the wind were millions of titanic leech-like creatures, suckling every inch of its surface - the manifestation of the souls of the mortal race. Eyes became visible beneath the natural visor, two circular structures that must have been miles across in diameter.
"Meet Venre, friends. Descended of the titan Atlas and first Avatar of Matter, one half of The Creator. The Seeker, The Void, The Inevitable. Behold!"

The entity ceased its marching, one foot this side of the horizon, one the other. The entire lay of the continent had been rewritten, sand and water flooding to fill the gaps caused by the shift of the tectonic plates. The skyline was unrecognisable. Szarke would later remember thinking that cartographers the world over must have thrown their work into the air and stormed to the nearest bar.

Things were still for just long enough for those still sane to regain their senses. The reality of what had just happened began to sink in, but before the grief could grip them, people set to work. Emergency generators were fired. Ambulances and fire trucks were deployed. Young men scooped their gibbering elders from the streets and moved them from harm's way.
The Obsidian Guard weren't any better composed than the rest of their planet. Were you to strip Joshua's Doomsaw, he could very well have been any other man, frozen in place with meaningless non-words falling from his lips. Kaja's lifetime of prayer, solitude and discipline counted for naught, for he fell to his knees and wept like a child. Szarke merely stared. Considering her nature, this alone spoke volumes.

Once the silence had settled, Venre bellowed its challenge. The word 'unearthly' is used frequently in literature, but it is the only one that fits here. The sound crept into the senses from the flanks and unleashed its fury once it had found its victim's weak point. The sound was indescribable as a phonetic thing, but rather, sounded like your soul being torn apart by a shrapnel grenade. Cutlery, expended ammunition and metal scraos shredded the entire being, from inside to out.
It took a step and shifted its torsos, heaving one immense fist back and balancing with the other. Its third and forth arms were set at its sides, prepared to follow through or defend. Sekaihaka clicked as its seppa was unlocked from the scabbard, waking Kontousen from his slumber.

'Dost thou want for my fire, o master?'
'Cute. I think I have it covered, my brother.'
'As you wish.'

A plume of dust exploded from where Hayt stood, a streak of it carving a clean line into the sky where it was caught in his wake. He soared, as he had many times before, into the descending fist. He couldn't begin to fathom the density of the extraplanar stone that formed its fingers, so he merely assumed his blade could withstand it. It was impossible to estimate its weight and the speed it moved as atmosphere ignited around it, so he merely assumed his jump carried enough force to counteract it - and to prevent the savage blow that would likely knock half the continents off the planets.
He took a moment to savour the sensation of the wind rushing past his ears. He took in the shimmering ocean and the cloud-streaked sky and the talon-shaped mountains that had just born - a beautiful, primal image, one only a generation had seen. He inhaled the sweetest breath he ever had and lingered, for but a moment, on the notion that this was his end. He wouldn't mind dying here, actually. Everyone had their time.

Then he discarded all that and focused. He would win. This was the opening blow, the test of each other's might and mettle.

The impact swept through his entire body, sending his muscles screaming in a way he hadn't felt for millennia. He felt something break in his shoulder and begged the skies it wasn't anything important. And then it was over.
The clouds were pushed away for miles, crafting a sphere of clear air. Kontousen screamed insults in his head, making it somewhat difficult to concentrate, but he took it on the chin and spun away from the halted fist, sheathing Sekaihaka. He rocketed to the earth with a little more momentum than he had anticipated, but, to his relief, managed to move his legs into place in time.
He shot straight through a plateau, splitting the newborn rock in half. As boulders and debris tumbled from the crevice, he emerged, staring upwards. Venre stared down with a tilted head, arms hanging idly at its sides. He sought his friends, hunting for their blood in the usual manner, and was relieved to find he'd landed well clear of them. He at first decided he needed to manueovre this fight somewhere with less casualties, but remembered that each step the Void took, thousands of lives were lost in quakes. He needed to take this to another plane.

'I could use some of that fire, now.'
'At your will, brother.'
'We've had a good run.'
'A perfect run would have been better. "Here lies Sun Hayt, Prince of Blood. Three billion, nine-hundred and sixty-two million, four-hundred and eight thousand, one-hundred and twenty-seven victories, one loss."'
'Aw, you kept count.'

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 19:55 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
I really enjoyed that. It was beautifully read. And your accent is no problem at all; your speech is very clear. The variation you managed to put into the different characters' voices was very impressive.

I can't make up my mind whether I preferred the 'clean' version or the one with sound effects.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 22:24 

Absentee (1)
This has absolutely nothing to do with the reason I created this thread, but I am now appropriating it for sharing my audio projects.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 10:10 

Absentee (1)
The taliver/brujah chant, which you may recognise from my writing thread.