All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Splicing Contest Rules
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2013, 15:01 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Welcome to Mercury's Weekly Splicing Contest [FEGBA Edition]. This is a weekly spriting competition affected by the combination of three existent characters from the Fire Emblem Gameboy Advance games. Anybody can participate. Albert Clare shall be your host, or Zeth should the former prove unavailable. If there are any comments, questions, concerns or suggestions, you can contact either of them. Here are the rules:

Contest Rules and Guidelines
1. You will be provided with three sprites from any combination of the Game Boy Advance Fire Emblem titles, from which you are to splice together a new character; a portion of each character must be used, however distorted it becomes. Light customisation is permitted, but remember, this is a Splicing Contest, so your task is to be as creative as you can with the parts given.

2. Submissions shall be presented within the 'Hackbox' provided below; all submissions must fit into the green area of the Hackbox.

3. All submissions may have only up to fifteen colours which includes outlines and so forth, plus the background colour for a total of sixteen colours. Colours need not be from the original set, but they should be GBA safe colours (colours that can be used in a GBA ROM). You can tell if a colour is GBA safe or not by looking at the RGB values. each value should be divisible by 8. The only exception is 255, which ROM tools will translate as 256.

4. Entries may be uploaded to any site that does not distort the image upon uploading, but must be uploaded as a PNG or GIF format. For your convenience, Mercury hosts its own imagefile system that you can utilise, and will not distort the image.

5a. Submissions shall open at 12:00 p.m. EST [17:00 UTC] each Friday and close at 11:00 p.m. EST [16:00 UTC] the following Monday; voting shall begin when the contest is closed, and shall continue until 11:00 p.m. EST [16:00 UTC] Thursday, at which time the winner shall be announced. Discussion about the entries (including who voted for which and why) is encouraged for the sake of helping others to improve, but is not necessary, and needless antagonism will not be tolerated.

5b. The winner shall have twenty-four hours to choose three new sprites to be spliced in the following week's contest. If no new set is chosen, then the next set shall be determined at the discretion of the host.

Hackbox

The following are all of the portraits/mugs in the FEGBA titles. They are provided as source material in case a problem arises with the posting for the weekly contest, for personal practice, and for winners to select the set for the next week's contest. Hopefully you know all the characters, but if you don't, or your brain just pulls a fast one on you like it does to me sometimes, you can identify a portrait by stating the abbreviated game title (FE6, FE7, FE8, or FE8b--b for beta), then the number of the column the character is in, "x" and then the number of the row they are in. For example, Adult Zephiel is [FE6 6x4]. I imagine this will come very in handy should one ever want to use the generic NPC portraits as I like to do.

Sources
FE6: caduceus/images/67154049183370922526.png
FE7: caduceus/images/58559210482991148149.png
FE8: caduceus/images/50721996995613376810.png
FE8b: caduceus/images/31371869752648636106.png

Have fun, guys.

Last edited by Zeth on 29 Sep 2013, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.
Voting Commentary Clarified

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 17:00 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Zeth and I have just been discussing the possibility of getting this contest going again (probably as the Anniversary contest comes to a close). If we were to do so, I'd be running it, so I'd like to see whether we still have sufficient interest to make it worthwhile. If you'd like to take part, please post in this thread so I can gauge the level of interest. I've temporarily unlocked this thread for the purpose.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 17:04 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
I probably would, assuming I manage to make something out of whatever the component parts are. It can be tough.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 17:06 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
I'm in, for sure.

May as well keep this thread open as a general talk thread anyway. We probably should have done that to begin with.