All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 22:32 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Quote:
FMZeth: My brain just misfired when I realised that if we werent aware of the events in the Half Life games, Portal and Fallout could exist in the same universe with no conflicts.
FMZeth: That said, aliens exist in the Falloutverse.
...is Fallout just an alternate timeline of the Portal/HalfLife verse? One where Aperture and Black Mesa went public back in the fifties to compete with Vault Tec?
FMZeth: The Fallout war was 200 years ago, but it's the 2280s or 90s in the games IIRC. Meaning that the world would have had sometime to recover from the war with the Combine before nuking itself to hell. Which means the aliens might be reluctant or unable to venture back just yet, explainin why they're referenced in the DLC for Fallout but never directly featured. Aperture survived intact because it was all locked up in an underground vault safe from the cataclysm outside.
FMZeth: IS FALLOUT THE FUTURE OF THE HALFLIFE/PORTAL VERSE?!
FMZeth: After doing some reading on the respective franchise wikis, it is not exactly a probable theory because of the Falloutverse's technological development, but here is potentially 50-70 years between the Half Life game events and the start of Fallout lore dealing with the Resource Wars and the Great War. Although the technological paradigms at work are not complimentary, there are no DIRECT conflicts between the continuities that would prevent a very genre and politically savvy person from weaving the two franchises together.
FMZeth: Of course...Valve DID give its blessing to Thinking With Time Machine...
FMZeth: Just something to think about. If Cave Johnson had access to time travel...you can bet a reinvented President Johnson would go to war with the Chinese over Alaskan oil, annex Canada and start launching nukes at the commies while sidelining with a vault building fringe science corporation.
FMZeth: Am I SAYING that Aperture Science is indirectly responsible for the Falloutverse? No. But you sure can bet I'm thinking it.
The Time Being: Why did society shift backward to 50's era culture after dealing with the Combine?
FMZeth: Still thinking on it, but I think the answer lies in the fact that all the analogue technology that would still be in good working order following the Combine's presumed siege level targeting of digital technology in order to cripple humanity would have been from that era.
FMZeth: Also there's still the timetravel cop out to rest on. Aperture Science breaks time, creates Fallout.
Iron Tarkus: I guess you could say that there was nostalgia for a simpler pre-alien overlord time after the Combine.
Iron Tarkus: Hence the retro-futuristic thing.
Iron Tarkus: Sort of an attempt to "purge" society of alien influence.c
FMZeth: True that
FMZeth: while ironically giving humanity the ability to craft mini nukes you can lob like grenades and cold fusion tech
I believe this warrants discussion.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 22:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Well they certainly do seem to run on the same kind of logic/physics.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 22:44 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Science isn't about *why* - it's about *why not*. *Why* is so much of our science dangerous? Why not *marry* safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because *you are fired!* Not you, test subject. You're doing fine.

If not other connection can be made between these games it must at least be that in another universe, Alternate Cave Johnson founded Vault Tec.