All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Summer Rose Court
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2014, 18:01 

Medals: 1
Best Newcomer (1)
So I said I would make this post last week, but it turns out when I was away from skype for 20 GODDAMN MINUTES TODAY the rest of the dev team launched on us. So if you didn't see the brief stuff in the minichat, I've been involved in some game dev stuff as well. I was recruited back in March to be on the music team for a game called Summer Rose Court! Teaser Trailer Here.

Summer Rose Court is a visual novel based on RoosterTeeth's animated webseries RWBY (very good, by the way. They just showed the first episode of season 2 at their convention RTX earlier today, and it's airing online on the 24th). Or as it might say on our FAQ, "SRC is a RWBY AU VN". We like acronyms.

In the game, you play as the lost princess of a kingdom who must return and claim her title to save the world. The usual.

You can check out our development team tumblr here, and as I mentioned,we released the demo today. It would mean a lot and be very helpful if you guys would download and play, and give us some feedback on what we could improve. I know the rest of the dev team would appreciate it.

Or if you're just interested in what I've been doing, we also have asoundcloud associated with the game. That link will take you right to the playlist of our first releases, including the music from the teaser trailer (written by one of our writers and performed by one of our artists) and the themes of two of the main characters (written and performed by myself) which appear in the demo. More is on the way as well.

ὁ ἀκτεανος ξενος εἰμι, ἐρρων δια τον οἰζυρον κοσμον,
ἐτι οὐδεν νοσου μογου κινδυνου ἐστιν ἐν ἀγλαῃ γῃ οἱ βαινω
δευρο εἰμι ὀψομενος πατερα, δευρο εἰμι μηκετι ἀλωμαι,
ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ ἰορδανην, ἁπαξ βαινω ὑπερ οἰκον

Post subject: Re: Summer Rose Court
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2014, 18:30 

Best Newcomer (1)
Oh, and we also have a developer podcast.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 02:43 
Dino

Medals: 20
Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Sorry for the late reply. It's the first time I've been on Mercury and wasn't doing something else at the same time or about to rush off to work, so I could finally stop and pay attention to the music. It's really lovely. Very beautiful in its simplicity. I'll try out the game if I find time, though being a rather poor gamer, my opinions may not match those of a typical player. Why DOES Chrome flag it as malicious?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 11:15 

Best Newcomer (1)
Luckily it's a visual novel, so you don't really have to worry about gaming ability. And we don't actually know why chrome flags it, no other browser does and there's definitely nothing wrong with it. That's one of the things we've been troubleshooting.

We also just got a new person on the music team who is incredible, so in the future we're going to have some more complex arrangements too, in addition to what I've been doing. Super stoked.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2014, 17:59 

Absentee (1)
I'd seen RWBY stuff fly past on tumblr occasionally but had no idea what it was. I might actually check it out now? this was pretty cool
the art was nice, the characters endearing, the writing competent. music was great where it was used, but it made sections without it felt kind of jarring. I liked the control scheme (I'm not really that familiar with visual novels though so maybe it's not that exciting) and the way the help file was integrated into the menu. I finished wanting to see more so it definitely did its job

anyway some stuff I noticed that you guys probably know about already

http://puu.sh/a4cCu/73702322e1.png had to go do things*?
http://puu.sh/a4cTh/747753e933.png http://puu.sh/a4d22/163ad04651.png random past tense sections where everything else is present tense, then at the end it jumps back and forth all over the place
http://puu.sh/a4d6x/0dc31e5b21.png this smirking emote has super thick lines for some reason

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2014, 18:50 

Best Newcomer (1)
Glad you liked it! And good catch on that typo in the first one, I don't think it's been pointed out yet. The tense thing is an editing mistake that one of the writers has already taken credit for, so that one's on our radar. I don't think the sprite has thicker lines than the other sprites for the same character, but I can see that's thicker than other characters (different artists are in charge of different characters, so we get a mix of styles). Fun fact: that one was drawn by hand, and then colored (and I think the alternate facial expressions done) digitally, hence the thicker lines from physical ink.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 12:23 

Absentee (1)

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 16:53 

Best Newcomer (1)
aaah, interesting. I'll show this to the art team.