Had some fun with housing, ...

Never had so much trouble "arranging" a pile of beer cans :3

Attachments:
Beverage_Insanity.png
Beverage_Insanity.png [ 2.56 MiB | Viewed 1307 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 16:27 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
How's that game treating you? I'm hearing very mixed results.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2014, 17:41 

Personally I really enjoy it. It's got a great dynamic to it.

Also quite a bit of a challenge.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 14:46 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Just from a quick look around their website and TV Tropes page it looks like something I'd enjoy a lot. I don't see myself being able to afford it anytime soon though. : [

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 17:00 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
A very large number of people in the GW2 mapchats on Maguuma server have been talking about it. I recall back when TOR was in development, there was this whole mentality that TOR wanted to re-invent the standard MMO experience and run toe-to-toe with The Giants; ostensibly WoW. Well, SWTOR may be fairly large but I don't think any of us can say they exactly succeeded in "re-inventing" the MMO experience, or giving WoW any pause for thought--as if TOR or ANY MMO had a chance of doing that. This said, just judging from my admittedly-less-than-solidly-informed perspective and impressions of the map chats I've absorbed, there's this sort of antagonistic rivalry forming amongst the players I tend to refer to as the "Vets" or the "REAL GW2 Players" or occasionally even the "Hardcore Players" who have tried out Wildstar and liked it and those who...I don't know, presumably have tried it and didn't like it.

I bring this up in this manner because this sort of inner-server rivalry--and I don't know, maybe this is limited to Maguuma server; I'm mostly jsut reporting what I'm hearing here--is the kind of thing that it felt like SWTOR WANTED with WoW and didn't get. Which I find sort of weird. There are a lot of the Vet Players going on to those who say they're going to try out Wildstar about how "You'll be back" or "Why bother? Guild Wars is just a better game. The X system in Wildstar is Y and it makes the Z all A-ish." and "'lol ya i tried its a waste of money better to sell paths through Arah than grind it' 'that's what she said!'" I'm not seeing/reading/hearing much from the people who approve of it, although I get the sense that they ARE around. I don't know if that's...maybe because they're simply still playing Wildstar?

*clears throat*
Sorry, bit of a tangent there. I guess what I'm really wondering about Wildstar is...what's the great dynamic and what's so challenging about it? Not meaning to offend but your post was a bit vague.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 09:13 

Medals: 1
Absentee (1)
it's one of the newer generation MMOs that blends action and RPG elements, but unlike vindictus and its ilk instead of being a button-masher with stat screens, the action elements are more tactical. you need to be aware of and in control of the spacing and zoning to properly optimise your damage output and crowd-control abilities, and avoid taking too much damage in return

I played for about a week in the closed beta phase but didn't get far or really get to try party play, but what I did play was engaging and yes, challenging. the art direction is very tight, the world design is charming, and the writing is pretty funny - but at the end of the day it's still an MMO and even with all its event-based exploration/investigation quests I lost interest pretty quickly

it probably would have been different if I had friends to play with

::Join the Immortal Sword Network!::
Website - Forum - Facebook - Twitter - DeviantArt

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 09:55 

Edit: @Zeth: No offense taken at all. I just waited till I actually got something to talk about before summing things up.

Sorry for the late reply.

Been playing a bit now, doing the first few dungeons and stuff. So far I've had quite a blast, and I'll try sum up my experience so far:

General: The questing experience is pretty standard for the most part - not saying it's bad, but it's pretty much the normal MMO questing experience. It's lightened up by timed challenges of sorts from time to time - which can turn out quite fun or pretty annoying depending on the situation. The one thing that IS pretty cool while questing is the way housing is integrated in your leveling experience. Every now and then, through challenges, quests or as drop from mobs you can get some nifty stuff to put on your (instanced) sky-housing plot - doesn't sound that interesting in theory, but in praxis it's pretty neat and satisfying.

Combat: Again it's not quite as innovative as people make it out to be. The concepts themselves have been used in different games before. However of the action-esque style is far better done than most MMOs of this style I've played (Tera or GW2 come to mind) IMO in term of being fluent and clear. The way you build your active combat ability set is pretty sweet, as your abilities are limited to a freely selectable set of up to 8 abilities from the all abilities you have unlocked allows for quite a bit of customisation, especiallly since you got a limited ammount of upgrade points that can be distributed among your selected abilitites, enhancing their effect as well as providing additional effects. It's not unusual to see players of the same class and type (tank/healer/dps) using a different lineup of skills.

Crafting: Crafting IS pretty neat in this game, considering that I usually don't give a damn about crafting, that's kinda a surprise for me. You get a ton of customisation options, both for an item (fully or partially selecting what stats/effects you get on your crafted items), as well as your crafting skill itself (tiered talent points giving you choices between various ways to make your crafted items even better). New recipies are primarily learned by two ways, one being a tried and true "find recipe" scheme, the other being an unlocked based tech tree, in which you progress by crafting or salvaging items to unlock additional recipes.

Group Content: The dungeons, and to a lesser part the adventures, were what really made this game for me. Adventures are the "casual" option of the two, being moderately challenging and providing a heavy focus on storyline. There's a bit of longevity thrown in the mix, as you have several mutually exclusive paths to proceed along in them, and it's gonna take you a few runs to see them all, at least. Dungeons are wicked fun. They are quite challenging, having bosses - and sometimes thrash mobs - that sport several complex mechanics. The good part being the fact that those mechanics - while challenging to deal with - are communicated in a way that make their intent clearly understandable, due to combat telegraphs (graphical representation of their Area of Effect), allowing you to come up with tactics to counter them without the need of indepth web guides telling you what they are actually doing.

About the whole community clash you mentioned, Zeth. On my server it is not THAT bad, but that kind of conflicts have been staple in about every MMO launch I've ever witnessed. Hell I've seen that stuff in WoW about previous WoW expansions, with people raving on about stuff like "Attunments were so much better! You had to do stuff before you could even be counted among those that _could theoretically_ step into a raid. That took skill snargleblargh"

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention: There is a distinct dissonance between artstyle and storyline that I personally find quite enjoyable. In such a colorful and comic-esque, even 'cute' world - Hell there are even small humanoid rabbits, not talking about the sexualized kind either - story elements that are dark, morally ambiguous or outright depressing really hit home.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 14:42 
Veteran

Zeth wrote:
A very large number of people in the GW2 mapchats on Maguuma server have been talking about it. I recall back when TOR was in development, there was this whole mentality that TOR wanted to re-invent the standard MMO experience and run toe-to-toe with The Giants; ostensibly WoW. Well, SWTOR may be fairly large but I don't think any of us can say they exactly succeeded in "re-inventing" the MMO experience, or giving WoW any pause for thought--as if TOR or ANY MMO had a chance of doing that. This said, just judging from my admittedly-less-than-solidly-informed perspective and impressions of the map chats I've absorbed, there's this sort of antagonistic rivalry forming amongst the players I tend to refer to as the "Vets" or the "REAL GW2 Players" or occasionally even the "Hardcore Players" who have tried out Wildstar and liked it and those who...I don't know, presumably have tried it and didn't like it.

I bring this up in this manner because this sort of inner-server rivalry--and I don't know, maybe this is limited to Maguuma server; I'm mostly jsut reporting what I'm hearing here--is the kind of thing that it felt like SWTOR WANTED with WoW and didn't get. Which I find sort of weird. There are a lot of the Vet Players going on to those who say they're going to try out Wildstar about how "You'll be back" or "Why bother? Guild Wars is just a better game. The X system in Wildstar is Y and it makes the Z all A-ish." and "'lol ya i tried its a waste of money better to sell paths through Arah than grind it' 'that's what she said!'" I'm not seeing/reading/hearing much from the people who approve of it, although I get the sense that they ARE around. I don't know if that's...maybe because they're simply still playing Wildstar?

The ironic thing about all that is that SWTOR did wind up having that relationship...with GW2. At least for a while.

It seems like practically every new MMO nowadays bills itself as "reinventing" the genre, and somehow they never wind up quite reaching that goal. To my mind the hype seems more of a problem than the lack of fulfilling it-I mean, if someone did completely reinvent the MMO, it would not, in fact, be an MMO. I'm not opposed to innovation by any means, but a lot of the time when you hear this hype it's presented almost as if 'MMO' is a dirty word and the developers are trying to get away from the concept and present their game as something completely different. Something about MMOs obviously appeals to people, so trying to change them on a fundamental level just for the sake of changing them seems odd to me.

I think there's also a significant element of 'MMO-ness' that's entirely player-created. Like, look at the champ trains in GW2. The devs didn't put the champs in there intending for that to happen (at least, I highly doubt they did), and there's nothing in the game forcing us to run them, but we do. However innovating and fresh and interesting your ideas are, when given enough time, freedom and reinforcements, players are going to find a way to mechanize them for their own ends. That's just a fundamental problem of having a game without a definitive end, and a lot of group familiarity with its content. I don't think there's any way for developers to get around that; they'd have to change human nature.

What appeals to me about Wildstar, just on general impressions from its website and such, is that the developers seem to have at least put some thought into understanding how and why certain MMO aspects work, and what they can do to make them work better, rather than just putting them in there because they're standard. The Crowd Control movement in particular stood out (http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/media/videos/), the way they talked about how they realized enemy crowd control could be incredibly frustrating and worked out a way to make it less so while still having it serve its purpose.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...for me, Wildstar doesn't have to be the most innovative thing ever, it doesn't have to be awe-inspiringly ground-breaking, it doesn't have to change the very nature of MMOs forever. It's okay if its combat/questing/etc have the same framework as most MMOs...because that framework isn't necessarily bad. What's more important to me is that there's effort put into understanding it and constructing the game so that it uses that framework to its own advantage, rather than it using the game. Now, I could be vastly overestimating Wildstar, the devs could be talking out of their asses, I don't know; there's a reason why I want to get a trial period first. And I'm not trying to set the devs up as some kind of god-like game-architect-savants or anything; it's just a favorable impression.

'Course, the thing that's really interesting me is the character design, because I am a total sucker for making characters. Give me a good character generator with a variety of options and I will happily sit there forever without ever getting around to playing the actual game.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 16:25 
Administrator

I can't find anything in THAT post I disagree with. True enough on the thought that anything new will be met with some degree of hostility--and laughs at the GW2/TOR square-off, I'd sort of forgotten about that. On the subject of MMO re-invention...I don't feel that 'MMO' is the bad word so much that devs want to divorce. I feel like actually it's quite the opposite. People have realised MMOs are big now and people love them. ...Which is why ALL GAMES now want to have some sort of MMO association with them. And you'll notice that any franchise that people start rumour mills for in the interest of MMOs for that don't yet exist "but are probably in development, it'll be their next thing" rarely ever do anything to silence these rumours even if they're terribly outrageous and entirely off-base. No, I think when devs go on about re-inventing the MMO, what they want is to tell people they don't have to farm or grind. 'Grinding' is the dirty word.

As for mechanising things: heck I love that aspect of MMOs. Being able to look at this wonderfully, terribly, beautifully sophisticated machine that people have poured their professional lives into making a living, breathing world...and then totally making it your chienne, if you pardon my French. It just...it awes me at the ingenuity and tenacity of the human mind. in both directions. It's almost a Darwinian struggle between the devs and the players and it thrills me.
Quote:
Edit: One thing I forgot to mention: There is a distinct dissonance between artstyle and storyline that I personally find quite enjoyable. In such a colorful and comic-esque, even 'cute' world - Hell there are even small humanoid rabbits, not talking about the sexualized kind either - story elements that are dark, morally ambiguous or outright depressing really hit home.
Now I am interested, since nothing I'd seen up to this point really that suggested this would be the case. Any specific examples you can provide? I don't care about spoilers personally, so if you just want to put something spoiler tags so others don't see that'd be cool.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 12:09 

Zeth wrote:
Now I am interested, since nothing I'd seen up to this point really that suggested this would be the case. Any specific examples you can provide? I don't care about spoilers personally, so if you just want to put something spoiler tags so others don't see that'd be cool.

I wouldn't have believed it myself. Having experienced only the exile experience so far I can say so much: If you care to read the quest text, you'll come to take no NPC's live for granted, no matter how likeable he/she is. Heck even The Secret World appears light an fluffy to some of the darker episodes in Wildstar - that is if you bring up the required suspension of disbelief for such an deliberately over the top setting.

Edit: I did not try to make Wildstar sound tried-and-old or uninnovative in my former post. I plainly wanted to give a fair warning, that despite all claims of fan-blind fans, it doesn't reinvent the wheel, it just makes a nifty new car, if you excuse the tangent.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 14:37 
Veteran

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you on that point-I swear I didn't mean to, at all. I guess the point I was trying to make was that the idea of the game not quite living up to its fan-hype doesn't surprise me, but it doesn't upset me either because I for one am perfectly okay with just a nifty new car, but then I got distracted and wound up drifting off in some other random direction. Sorry.