All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 16:00 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
So I put up a thing about this in my art thread, but figured this would be a better place to start something off more properly.

I've been talking to a few people here about my end-of-university final project, and two weeks from the deadline I'm finally able to show off a playable demo xD
This is Keeper City, a hack-and-slash/RPG with tactical elements that we're hoping to finish a 'demo' version of ready for the University of Gloucestershire's ComX 2014 event on May 1st. We're hoping it'll be a fun experience for everyone, and if we get enough of a reason to keep going with it we may be able to turn it into full production piece that we can develop market over the next couple of years, which is pretty exciting.

This is a playable demo that you can download, play, and give us feedback on, and I'd highly encourage anyone who has the time to give it a try, we're quite proud of how far this project's come along. I'll be updating this thread with the latest version of the playable demo every chance I get until the deadline, and depending on how things go, I'll keep updating until we've got a finished game :)

If anyone is interested, the control layout and short walkthrough of the demo is in the spoilerbox just below!
Spoiler: show
Controls:
Movement: Left analogue stick / WASD
Camera: Right analogue stick / mouse
Light Attack: X / Left click
Heavy Attack: Y / Right click
Dodge Roll: A / Space
Run: B / LeftShift
Get/Switch Targets: L/R Bumper / Q or E
Deselect Target: Both Bumpers / Tab
Reset Level: Start / P
Return to main menu: Back / Esc
Note: The menus do not have controller functionality yet, you will need to use the mouse for these. Fixing this is pretty high on the to-do list though, so it shouldn't take long to be implemented.

WalkThrough
Currently, there's not too much to do. Explore the menus as you please, select a character 'class' to play, then hit Start. You'll be taken to the Hub Level, where you are able to select equipment, edit skills, change options, and take missions from various NPCs. Currently only the equipment selection 'Armoury' NPC and the missions selection 'Garland' NPC are funtional. The Armoury is represented by the robot on the right side of the room, while Garland stands in front of the stairs at the back. Click on either of these NPCs to open their menus and make selections. When you are ready, talk to Garland, select the first mission, and select 'Start' to enter a short demo level where you will come up against one of each of the basic enemy types the game has to offer.

I'll be adding more stuff as we get it ready to show, so feel free to post up any feedback at all! It really does help us to get more opinions in!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 04:11 

So I figured I'd put this up here: http://sberrygames.itch.io/keepercity

Download link to the 'final' version of the game that we submitted for our project, for anyone who'd like to mess about with it xD
Of course, it's nowhere near finished, but it is playable, and hopefully a good bit of fun :)
Controls are practically the same as above, though you can change equipment with a control pad's D-pad, and the num keys 1-4 (I think, can't remember exactly now xD), and the A button/space is used to select things in menus. I managed to get controller support for menus working just in time for the deadline, so that's there too :)

Might do more work on this in the future, if I get the chance/can be bothered xD so if anyone plays it and has any ideas/suggestions/critique, then please do let me know!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 20:31 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Snagged it. I think I already shot some ideas at you when we were chatting over the alpha test executable thing. Throw in a lot of modability for the enduser and you'd have the ultimate sandbox deal going on.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 20:52 

I have been looking into putting together a level-editor style program/game/thing, but haven't made much progress, as it's pretty heavy stuff. So hopefully we'll get something like that set up nicely at some point in the future :)