All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Guild Wars 2
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 23:39 
Veteran

Medals: 3
Best Writer (1) Best Username (1) Bookworm (1)
Yeah, I would have pegged it to be some form of Krait. But I guess it makes sense that there are just so many Risen they win out by sheer force of numbers in the end. Plus the fact that the highest level area of the game is pretty much crammed with nothing but undead.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 00:46 
Administrator

Medals: 20
Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
Best Scenario Creator (1) Roy Mustang Award (1)
Risen Krait Hypnoss woulda been my guess specifically.
Frelling hate those guys.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 20:22 
Administrator

Most Valuable Mercer (1) Author (5) Best RPer (4) Absentee (1) Reviewer Extraordinaire (1)
Most Creative (1) Brainiac (1) 2008 Mercury Art Contest (1) Zombie Apocalypse (1) Best Digital Artist (2)
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p ... dition-na/

You can thank Venni for this, if anybody's interested. It's a good deal, and it's the Heroic Edition, so you get some extra goodies.
EDIT:
Extras include a pack of Legacy armour skins, which are statless and not all that impressive IMO, so not really worth too much unless you're a big fan of the first game; a ten-pack of XP boosters, which aren't amazing but of course are always welcome; and an 18-slot Mithril box, which, ask Rachel, is kinda a huge deal if you're just starting off in the game. I don't have any 18-slot inventory containers yet myself. I mean I compensate in other ways because i just don't want to spend the in-game money, but still: big deal, very handy.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 02:27 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Bah, it's not available to European customers. (And it wouldn't even show me a price; just told me it's not available in my area yet. So I don't even know if I could have afforded it after I next get paid.)

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 07:07 
Veteran

$36.99 over here.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2013, 04:07 

As an addendum, I'm not entirely sure that's a persistent price, but I think it is since whenever the game is featured on their front page it's always been that price so it's either consistent or just on sale all the flippin' time. Since I'm still a super cheapo I'm going to wait and see if GMG does a 20% voucher and see if it stacks with the 26% off they're already offering to get it even less, but if that doesn't work I'll probably buy it anyway in the next, I dunno, month or so.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 11:38 
Veteran

Hey guys-

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/save-40-on-guild-wars-2-on-sunday-october-20/

That's $30 for the regular version over here. Which is less than I got it for.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 12:14 
Dino

Staffer of the Year (5) Best RPer (2) Best Poster (2) Best Traditional Artist (1) Brainiac (1)
2009 Mercury Art Contest (1) The Merger Contest (1) 10th Anniversary Art Contest (1) Most Helpful (4) Loyalist (1)
Most Mature (1)
Thank you for that info! I've now purchased it (very pleased to see that it wasn't just limited to the US) and am pleased to see I was allowed to link my new account to my old free trial one and retain my characters.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 18:08 

$30? I think I can swing that. I'm in. :D

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 18:22 
Administrator

: O

My evermounting tensions between playing TOR and GW2 strain evermoooooooore!!!!11!!1!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 19:52 

So I did my first bit of Batmanning today (or Batwomanning, I guess):

Unlike in TOR (which was simply because I could) this one had a purpose, which was because there was a vista up there. :D

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:08 
Administrator

Is that the one atop a house near the edge of...well, a cliff, I guess, in the Grove? Northeast of the map?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 21:54 

Zeth wrote:
Is that the one atop a house near the edge of...well, a cliff, I guess, in the Grove? Northeast of the map?

Not sure about direction, but it's right where you first enter the Grove. There is a cliff-kinda drop off behind it.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 23:49 
Administrator

Yeah, that's the one.
Wait till you get to the actual jumping puzzles like the one's outside LA.
:zeth:

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 15:28 
Veteran

Or Goemm's Lab.

Oh God. Flashbacks.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 20:01 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
Anyone who has seen the problems I have with jumping in TOR will probably guess that the thought of jumping puzzles fills me with dread.

But I really must get back into this game, having bought it.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2013, 21:12 
Administrator

Goemm's Lab = Nar Shaddaa Datacrons.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2013, 19:54 
Administrator

Heyo everybody who plays: Anybody think Friday night would be a good time to roll Team Tiny? Say... 7EST/Midnight GMT?

For those currently NOT playing, if you 're interested in possibly getting the game for FREE:
http://migration.guildwars2.com/en/

I laughed SO hard at that video.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 09:02 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
It's a pity that I only get on to check this today >< sorry I missed it.
I'm afraid that I've got a fortnightly thing at the uni SU, so I wouldn't be able to make it every other week. I'd certainly be up for it when I'm around though :D Go team tiny!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2013, 14:26 
Administrator

Guess we'll just play it by ear then.

Say, does anybody mind posting here when they have a character--any character--first hit the multiples of ten levels (lvl 30, 40, 50, etc...)?
That way I can keep track of when we can go dungeoneering. : D

Also warning: I may go fashionista on this thread soon unless somebody stops/beats me.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 20:55 

Medals: 4
Best Artist (2) Absentee (2)
I think I've got three out of five characters to lvl11 now. Will try and make the four tonight, methinks.
Also, go for it XD fashionista is the best way to go on an mmo :D

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 13:55 
Veteran

If you start, I will probably follow. I mean, really, let's be honest here: all of this is really just one big, complicated, expensive game of paper dolls.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 14:26 
Administrator

*ahhhm*
Well if you insist.
I have these listed in what I believe is the order I made the characters in. Kastiglion, Nyfaria and Ensiferum are a little hard for me to place because they were actually recreated out of old characters that weren't quite right.

Lantana Nivea
Spoiler: show

I play with his primary colour a lot, but it always comes back to this. Of all my characters, Lantana has the most solid, ingrained looked, possibly. That having been said, I could see him getting new gloves in the future if something really strikes my fancy and seems to fit in. And, actually, same with the hat. But there's no way it'll be anything but some skin from the gem store; none of the in-game drops, karma or crafted hats will replace that one. I like the weapon theme he has going on, and the colours of his gears and ornamentation and belts tie it into his outfit. There is one thing I want to change, though, and that's that I really want him to have an Aetherised main weapon. That used to be a rifle, but now it's a pistol, which for Aetherised weapons looks even better. The only problem is that I would need 5 Black Lion Claim Tickets--probably 7 soon--to get that, and then I would still need a shield to match it. I could just leave the current Ebonhawke Shield, and I'd be content I think. Or there's one called Kryta's Embrace I can pick up on the Trading Post for a little over a gold that I could switch to. It could reasonably match the Aetherised Pistol.

Avaracia Arosdottir [This is my main, max level character.]

Someday I will find pauldrons I like to go with that Braham's Armour skin set (it's the more cloth and leather set that I show both with and without the headpiece; she usually does not show the headpiece when wearing that outfit). I actually thought the Honour of the Waves Arms of Koda would go really awesome with it, but previewed it and saw that they overlap/merge/clash with the top of the gloves. The mind of Koda headpiece looks pretty decent with it though.

Onepheira

Onnie. :3
Eventually she'll have a sword to match her shield. Just a matter of waiting till I get the Achievement Points.

Nyfaria Canta

Nyfaria and Kast are my two characters probably most easily on the fast track to being my next max levels. I can't see anything about Nyfaria changing at all even after max level, except for her dual daggers. In a couple levels she'll be able to use the ones you see a picture of in the top right, which she will probably use until she actually she hits lvl 80, at which point I'll be more seriously looking at Av crafting her a dual pair of Corrupted Shards to wield. I need a lot of Charged Lodestones (40) to do that though. It's the only thing really stopping me.

Kastiglion Whisperblade

Kastiglion. Can't see much changing about her either, even after lvl 80, again except her weapons. Unlike Nyfaria though, I have no particular preference for what weapons she may end up using in the end. For now I am very content using the Krytan themed ones.

Arrogancea

I considered not bothering to put Arro up. The boots are nice and I am of course in love with my character design, but there's really nothing else about this character I particularly like. Coat's all right, but there's one in particular I'd like him to have that he can't get until he's lvl 80, and that's...just not going to happen for a very long time.

Dicentra Oregana

I like this colour scheme for Di, and the outfit itself is okay...but I could see it changing. Not certain exactly to what is the problem. If I could ever get enough runs of Twilight Arbour she might do some stuff from there. I don't know. I do like her and this is okay (especially the staff, which is Dreamthistle skinned) though. I want a sort of Nightmare Court feel without her smacking of obviously being Nightmare Court. Because she isn't.

Roger Delgado

I don't like his shoes. I mean the design is neat but they only allow your two colours for some reason, and one of them is that tiny little gemstone atop the foot, leaving the entirety of the rest one colour. I'll find something else eventually.

Ensiferum Balatro

This image is notably missing his pauldrons, which are golden with a little bit of blue edging. I could have snapped another scrn that included them, but this one is simply too badass.

EDIT: Added a recreation of the same shot but with his pauldrons. So badass.

Vurig Sootmane

This image is missing his helm, which he isn't high enough level to wear yet. I only found one I care much for that still shows his horns, but it's actually pretty decent. As for the rest of him: don't like the pauldrons, don't like the gauntlets. LOVE the greatsword. I like his chestpiece and greaves, though if something specacular came along I could see replacing them. He will be receiving new gauntlets in the relatively near future when I reach 3000 Achievement Points and unlock the Hellfire Gauntlet skins. At some point in the future there's a matching pair of Hellfire Pauldrons, but I'm not certain when I get those. They might look cool. I like the Citadel of Flame pauldrons for him too, but I see no way he could get those any time in the near future, given CoF is a level 70 dungeon.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 19:41 
Dino

Most Mature (1)
After seeing all of that lot you've got me quite inspired. :D I've seen Lantana (but in a slightly different outfit, I think) and Avaracia (in the 2nd outfit) before, but the others are all new to me except in name (for some of them). And I finally get to see Roger Delgado. :) He is a remarkably good match. You've made me realise human characters can be a lot more interesting than I had expected.

I did actually fire up GW2 this afternoon, while TOR was down for maintenance, and I've realised two things:
1) that I've pretty much forgotten how to play - I was trying out a new character and was coping ok just going around the start area, using the first 2 or 3 attacks that were unlocked, but I felt like I was button-mashing rather than having the time to make decisions about what I was doing in a fight
2) that I don't yet have a character who I'm totally happy with, which I suspect is a big part of the reason why, although I like the game, I've not found it as absorbing so far as TOR. When I first played during the free trial I created a Sylvari (I always wanted my first character to be a Sylvari male) Elementalist, whose appearance I really liked, but I hadn't a clue what was going on with the battle system and felt completely lost. Then Pedro told me that wasn't a good class for a beginner so I made a guardian, who I got on far better with, but was never happy with how he looked (and having now had a closer look at Lantana I'm even less happy with Kouarz because I've realised he looks too much like him). Today I tried a thief and am happy enough with how he looks, but I think I preferred the guardian as my Sylvari's class. So now I'm seriously considering deleting all three and starting from scratch.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 12:15 
Administrator

I'm honestly surprised at #1; that's pretty much the exact opposite of every experience I or anybody I know has had, save maybe when auto-target's being weird and you have to scramble.

Oh, and here's an image of Av in her townies.

And one of the bulk of her tattoo, because it is VERY cool. Put the helmet on so her hair wouldn't obscure part of it.